Old May 05, 2010, 10:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
AND, he's wearing Kevin's hat!!!
Yup. Kevin thought he had a spare. No more.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2010, 10:24 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Anbody? Please.
I have a set of wings NIP (with 6mm spar). I am not really interested in selling the set. But, make me an offer I can't refuse and I might part (pun intended) with them. I would still have to order another set whenever they come in.
AJ
Old May 05, 2010, 10:59 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
AJ,
Check your PM.
Crist
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 06, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Sky Surfer - Wings

Quote:
AJ,
Check your PM.
Crist
PM sent.
AJ
Old May 06, 2010, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,689 Posts
Hello everyone.

I bought the SkyS as well, but i bought it in parts only. i added my own servos, esc, motor 2409-12. one of my first flights as i am new to RC flying. i didn't have a rudder due to a crash which broke some gears. i didn't go full throttle i was still trying to trim it out. I installed a new servo yesterday for the rudder but no video with it yet. plane is very strong. Ive crashed it into a fence/flag pole and ground with little damage to it. this plane it sweet. I crashed my art tech F18 on its maiden so ill practice more on this before attempting the f18 again. its ready to go now, repairs are complete.

flying with my wing man (3yr old son) my wing woman (19mos daughter) is in other videos.

look at the close call at 1:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QqpCdm-58I
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Last edited by Doushiyou12; May 06, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 06, 2010, 02:06 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Much much better!

Took the repowered SS out to the field this morning. It was like a changed plane! I had forgotten how rough the Turnigy motors sound. (Sounds like you're polishing rocks in the motor) It does loops and aileron rolls without effort.

I flew for about 10 minutes. The ESC was a little warm, and the battery was less warm than the ESC. I can climb with 2/3 throttle and cruise at 1/3. I'm very pleased with the results.

Oh and I maidened my Xeno too this morning! A truly red letter day!
Jack

Here are some pictures:
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old May 06, 2010, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
how much kv and on what prop???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 07, 2010, 01:45 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Got my SkySurfer yesterday

Hi Guys, got my Skysurfer yesterday. I ordered the RFT version with the BL motor. Originally BH sent me a message that it was out of stock. Then later that day received another msg from BH saying it was a mistake and in fact was in stock. When it arrived and before I opened the box, I noticed it was marked on the box as ARF version. I was kind of miffed because I thought they probably messed up my order. When I opened the box, it was the RFT version BUT it had a 6 channel tx and rx instead of the advertised 4ch gear. I'm thinking they may have made up the order from a ARF version and used a 6 channel rx/tx from another setup. However it was a BlitzRC radio setup. Kinda nice as a bonus. Now I have to decide about mods. The biggest one I'm contemplating is the washer removal. Kinda hurts thinking I got to cut open the new fuse to get them out. Does'nt look like they can be taken out via the hatch. I did a CG test with them in using 72mm and I can get good results if I move the battery back into the hatch opening. Question... should I try the plane with the washers in and the battery back first or am I just wasting my time and just take the washers out and move the battery forward to compensate for the CG? I definitely plan on changing the horns and clevises. Lots of slop and not secured enough for me. Oh and the prop mod should be easy enough. Comments welcomed
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old May 07, 2010, 06:23 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. I used CA thin (standard-NOT foam safe). Yeah, Epoxy and foam safe CA does not stick to this foam. Epoxy is slightly better but still unsatisfactory as you pointed out.
AJ
What were the results of using "NOT foam safe" CA?
Does it eat away at the foam?

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old May 07, 2010, 06:36 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
What were the results of using "NOT foam safe" CA?
Does it eat away at the foam?

Jim
I think you read that a bit wrong.
You want to use regular ca. You do not have to use "foam safe ca". Foam safe is used on foam like depron where regular ca (super glue) will melt the foam. Also foam safe ca does not bond as well on any foam as well as regular ca.
Clear as mud?

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 07, 2010, 07:02 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Hi Guys, got my Skysurfer yesterday. I ordered the RFT version with the BL motor. Originally BH sent me a message that it was out of stock. Then later that day received another msg from BH saying it was a mistake and in fact was in stock. When it arrived and before I opened the box, I noticed it was marked on the box as ARF version. I was kind of miffed because I thought they probably messed up my order. When I opened the box, it was the RFT version BUT it had a 6 channel tx and rx instead of the advertised 4ch gear. I'm thinking they may have made up the order from a ARF version and used a 6 channel rx/tx from another setup. However it was a BlitzRC radio setup. Kinda nice as a bonus. Now I have to decide about mods. The biggest one I'm contemplating is the washer removal. Kinda hurts thinking I got to cut open the new fuse to get them out. Does'nt look like they can be taken out via the hatch. I did a CG test with them in using 72mm and I can get good results if I move the battery back into the hatch opening. Question... should I try the plane with the washers in and the battery back first or am I just wasting my time and just take the washers out and move the battery forward to compensate for the CG? I definitely plan on changing the horns and clevises. Lots of slop and not secured enough for me. Oh and the prop mod should be easy enough. Comments welcomed
WELCOME to the thread. There are a lot of nice, knowledgeable folks here to help you with any questions. Have fun.
Toss the washers. A lighter plane is a bit easier to fly (with winds 0-3mph). The lighter the weight, the more time to you have to recover from over controlling. In stronger winds, it is better to add a steel rod inside the wing spar (joiner).
AJ
Old May 07, 2010, 08:10 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
AJ help me out here

Ok, so it is reported that the CG is @ 72mm from LE. So I take the washers out. I could not get a decent balance (looking for slight nose down) with the stock battery all the way forward in the fuse. If I add 2 washers (taped to the battery top) I am looking pretty good @ 72mm CG. With my spare 1800mah 20c batt (which is about 1/3 longer than the stock batt) and I have it all the way forward, I am looking good. Am I on the right track? How did you get yours to balance @ 72mm with the stock battery and no washers? Something doesn't make sense. Help me out here.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old May 07, 2010, 08:48 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Hollow fuse?

I didn't realize that the entire fuse is hollow! Hmmm, looks weak to me, no?

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Last edited by Chairwolf; May 07, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 07, 2010, 08:55 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
I didn't realize that the entire fuse is hollow! Hmmm, looks weak to me, no?

Bob
I had the same reaction, but once assembled, it seems pretty strong. and without all the foam bracing, it makes it easier to modify/install components beyond the typical rx/batt/esc. I added a little carbon rod below the canopy, and put a 3mm carbon rod in the antenna slot down the bottom of the fuse.
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 07, 2010, 08:59 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I had the same reaction, but once assembled, it seems pretty strong. and without all the foam bracing, it makes it easier to modify/install components beyond the typical rx/batt/esc. I added a little carbon rod below the canopy, and put a 3mm carbon rod in the antenna slot down the bottom of the fuse.

I guess the hollow fuse would be easier to put stuff in. However, I'm wondering if this might be a cost-cutting area. Also thinking of crash resistance. I don't have a SkyS, so I can't really criticize it... I'm just making an observation here.

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf