HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:43 PM
Antarctica
Joined Dec 2009
267 Posts
Help!
E-flite Mini Ultrastick or Mini Pulse XT

I'm in the market for a new balsa electric. My hangar currently includes a Multiplex Minimag with a 400w setup, a highly modified Easystar with ailerons and a 1kw setup, and a Goldberg Laser 200. My flying skills are acceptable; I'm not into extreme 3d, but I like to go fast. My sight is great, my reflexes are fast. I generally fly in a giant park, not at a certified flying field, although, sometimes I go there when I go with someone else.

I've narrowed my next airplane choices down to the above two. I'm looking for a comparison in flight characteristics between the two. I realize that one is a high wing and the other a mid, so obviously the Stick would be significantly more forgiving, but it's just so terribly ugly. Can anyone compare these two? Or do they even compare at all?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Mini Pulse:

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=EFL2375

Mini Ultrastick:

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=EFL2250
bob_loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob_loblaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
MUS is like a 3D plane, just has a high wing. Pulse is more long line aerobatics.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:20 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
I have both. The MUS handles the wind much better than the MPXT. The MUS is far better at aerobatics. The MPXT is nice sport plane, looks a bit better (to me at least). I usually grab the MUS if there's room in the van once I get the bigger planes in if I'm going to the flying field. The MPXT is great for lazy flying. Just my $.02
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:24 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Agreed with road_rascal. The Pulse is more refined and has no bad habits, and you can do crazy things (for a sport plane) with the MUS. I've bought .25 versions of both in addition to the mini versions.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:50 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
I used to have a E-flite MPXT until I decided to try a knife edge too close to the ground. Had a brain melt down and turned it into a pile of toothpicks.

I too agree that the MUS is butt ugly, but I am impressed with its flight capabilities. The MPXT is a beautiful plane, it flies extremely well with the park 480 under the hood. Has unlimited vertical and tracks beautifully. If you get a MPXT go with the 480, not the 450 motor.

Can I put another suggestion on the table. What about an E-flite Mini Funtana X. It is a beautiful looking plane, flies wonderfully well and is a similar size. If you put it on low rates, it flies very similarly to the Pulse. Crank up the rates, and it rolls like a maniac and can be lots of fun.

This would be my choice out of the 3 planes.
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:20 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
One should never judge a book by its cover
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
I have HeadsUpRC 450's in both the MUS and MPXT and I never felt that they were lacking in performance.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:26 PM
Antarctica
Joined Dec 2009
267 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I was expecting quite the opposite; the MUS flying less acrobatically than the MPXT, and the MPXT being a real handful. I'm glad I was so wrong.

Road Rascal, thanks for your input, at this stage, lazy flying and fast flying are the two main things I do.

Mattvr1ck, The Goldberg Laser 200 I have ( http://www.hiflightrcshopping.com/ca...-arf-blue.html ) is a lot like the Mini Funtana X, which, you said, flies like the MPXT. That to me means that the XT would fly like my Laser, which I like, however with the large control surfaces, I get flutter at higher speeds.

With the Mini Pulse XT, does anyone experience any flutter?

I understand there are two versions of the e-flite park 450, the over 1000kv and the under 1000kv. Which one would most people recommend? Does anyone second Matt's 480 recommendation?

Just to summarize, based on what I've read here, the Mini Pulse XT sounds like the right plane for me, so long as there's no flutter.
bob_loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob_loblaw
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
I haven't experienced any flutter with my MPXT. Although I don't fly it as hard as my MUS. Both of those have an 1100kv 450 (450 Sport from HeadsUpRC). I've read a few posts about the MPXT experiencing flutter with the 480 though (fast flying).
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:22 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
The MUS was my first electric ever (flying glow for over 20 years)
. IVE HAD BOTH! yes yes YES ON THE 480! (go with higher KV) I ran 11x7 apc for balance of thrust and speed... tried 10x7-8 and 12x6 also. 2200 3 cell batteries

The stick is more field friendly with a HUGE gear.. the pulse more realistic.
Stick has better roll rate and wilder spin.. the pulse has better glide tendencies with semi-semetrical wing although they are VERY similar.
The pulse required modification for proper cowl fitament with the 480.

NO FLUTTER or any structural issues other than landing gear... It tends to rip out easy on both planes. Just add reinforcements AHEAD of time.
Also ran torque 2812-900 on three cells with 11x8 apc for crazy power on ultra stick..also with NO landng gear.. That gear is huge btw! I remember flying off gravel roads or nearly any rough patch. lol

FYI... the torque is only .7oz heavier than the 480 but more versitile with power/battery options. If you go with the eflight, I hear it WILL run on 4 cells if you prop down to 10x7.. the torque will swing anything up to a 12x6 on 4 cells.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:04 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
go fast? how about and easy to fly P40 for $100 with motor. Yup, the eflight version can accept 3, 4, and 5 cell batteries with an electrifly ss12 esc. It has awesome detail and display stand. My 5cell setup weighs only 8.5 oz and puts out 200 watts on the stock prop/motor!!
I can sit like a kite with moderate headwind and then accelerate away with 375 watts/lb!!! check it out!
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Pr...ProdID=EFL6075
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Aug 26, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 02:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...80260&page=156 This is the MPXT build and fly thread. Id say about 80% of people are running their MPXT with the higher Kv 480 motor. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it in, but well worth it. If flies well with the 450, but its always fun to have a bit more speed and performance on tap when you want it. I was running a 10 x 7 APC prop, and had unlimited vertical. Both motors are about the same price, so why not go with the one with a bit more power.

As for flutter, you do get a bit of flutter from the tail feathers at high speeds (The control surfaces are only thin, so you would expect that), but you dont lose any responsiveness from the controls. So its not really a problem.
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
I just pulled the E Flite 480 out of my mini pulse,I have a much more worthy place for it , and installed a hacker 20-22L with a 10-7 APC prop. It's almost as good as the 480 . Lighter motor and batt. pack .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:35 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,463 Posts
I have a MPXT
I LOVE it , so far no MUS, but I guess is in my list too, because the mini pulse tracks so well and makes me look a much better pilot than I am. I can fly it inverted for like forever, and no issues at all
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Joined Apr 2010
15 Posts
Just bought a Mini Pulse PNP on Tuesday, Flew it last night for the 1st time. Big difference than my Apprentice but I knew it would be. It flew great, no issues in flight. On the ground however it pulls hard left on the take off and it gets a little hairy trying to get it off the ground. I gave it some right rudder and it whipped so hard right the plane spun out. I figure a lil adjustment is in order on the tail wheel, No big deal.

be safe, fly straight.
Catto
jwcatto is offline Find More Posts by jwcatto