Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Cybernaught, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Discussion
Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!

Cybernaught's RC Foamy Blog!

Designing, Building, and Flying foam RC airplanes on the cheap in the Philippines. Making the best use of whatever is available and spending the least amount of money to the get most possible result.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Apr 20, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:32 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
The Broadhead.

The Broadhead.

This is the current plane I'm working on. The idea was to build a canard with some float that would slow fly in a high alpha mode and allow for good slow speed handling while being able to fly at normal speeds as well. It started out as a canard because I'm fixated on canards at the moment and it's god a slot prop for balance and to direct the prop-wash across the elevons. The elevons are wider at the inner point to deflect this prop-wash for a thrust vectoring effect.

That's the plan, at least.

I'll not go into a lot of detail. The pictures show the progression of mods.
Picture #6 shows the small canard of 6sq in that was used to bring the balance point (center of lift) farther forward. I did that to avoid moving the CG aft because moving the weight back required major surgery to the nose. It worked but the results were not as good as I wanted and so now it's as in Picture #7 and it's waiting for some test flying in good weather to see if things are working any better this way. The only test flight in this form was with a plane that had too much throw and was tail heavy. I flew it into the sun and "Split S"ed it into the ground. Corrections have been made and it's ready for another test flight.

Last flight:
BH ses5 crash.wmv (0 min 11 sec)

More to come as I figure it out...
Steve.

Last edited by Cybernaught; Apr 20, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
The Flying Herb
Santa Barbara, California
Joined Jul 2007
418 Posts
I have something quite similar

i bought mine at the Ontario show...but have been quite busy modifying it.

Looks very much the same except for the nose and the rounded wings.

Long Beach Jet 99.wmv (2 min 18 sec)
rstein9 is offline Find More Posts by rstein9
Old May 18, 2010, 06:31 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Broadhead is Dead...

rstein9,
Great vid.... The catch with the sunset background is awsome. Nice going...

The Broadhead was a fun plane to play with and I learned a lot from it's many iterations, but I'm back into finless wings again with the Featherwing series.

How's this sound? Almost 4sq ft of wing area at 15oz or less for a wing loading in the mid 3oz/sq ft range. BW power train.

there's a 30", and 40" and a tapered wing version called Miss Piggy OH yeah... Theres one without a pod that's same config as the FW-40. I"ll add pictures and videos to this post later.

Edit:
In the picture below, the FW30 and the Slinger are flying. Miss Piggy was maidened successfully this morning. The FW40 needs to be balanced and maidened.

Slinger Maiden.
This is a podless version of the Featherwing 40 Finless Flying Wing.
Singer maiden.mp4 (3 min 50 sec)

Slinger Session 2
There are some out-takes at the end of this one.
Slinger S2.wmv (4 min 8 sec)

Miss Piggy Maiden.
This is the tapered wing version of the Featherwing podded Finless Flying Wing. Vent holes in the front make it look like a pig's snout head on view.
MP Flies2.wmv (2 min 39 sec)

The Slinger is the podless version of the Featherwing 40 I think Miss Piggy flies a bit better.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; May 18, 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
I really like your picture of an old WW1 style aircraft, but I don't see any information about it. It looks like a foamy I would be interested in making.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:55 AM
To thine own self be true
USA, CA, Redlands
Joined May 2006
6 Posts
Hey cybernaught, can't help but notice you're an RCModeler out in Bohol. That is awesome! I live out here in redlands California but I'm out there about twice a year. My dream is to bring my Habu 32 or the Flyfly Hawk and fly it around to show the locals in my moms hometown of Bilar. The big question is how can I get my Lipos as I'm pretty sure bringing it on with my luggage is out of the question these days especially. Is there a source out there? How is ordering from Hobby King like with shipping to Bohol? Thought is either that or putting my Lipos in a balikbayan box and shipping it out ahead of time a month before going there. Take cares and would love to fly with ya sometime. - Louie
Tisoy909 is offline Find More Posts by Tisoy909