HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:24 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Chris Craft 1940 19' Barrelback

Hello everyone, I'm starting on my third Chris Craft, a 1940 19' Barrelback. Since I'm a long time daily lurker I've decided to finally jump in and and share my build, mistakes and all. I've already learned so much from the talent on this board and I hope you will all chime in with any advice you feel will keep me on track. Since there aren't too many build logs on the Barrelback I figured it would be a good one to document.

I've built the 19' Runabout and the 16' Hydroplane which were my first boat models and I figure this project will push my abilities, so far it seems to be a little more involved. I'm moving along with the framing process and everything seems to be shaping up well. I've glued in the lower set of balsa blocks at the bow (see photo) and I've come to my first question for those who've built this boat. Should I procede now to carve, sand and shape the lower blocks between the sheer and chine before I glue in and shape the top set of blocks? It seems like it would be easier to complete the bottom portion (in terms of sanding angles etc.) before gluing in the shorter balsa blocks on top of the chine. But I want to ensure that I have the proper final shape from the sheer to the keel and do it the proper way. Any advice from those experienced in this kit would be very helpful. Thanks for checking out my build!

John
Hatchet Jack is offline Find More Posts by Hatchet Jack
Last edited by Hatchet Jack; Apr 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:06 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start and based on your other two, will do a great job!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:28 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
what he said ..only with an Australian accent

My gut feeling is you should shape that nose all at once not piece meal? ,but I ain't no 'xpert see what other master builders have to say?

RT
ps. Love the Hydro BTW, those 2 look great together.
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:12 AM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,149 Posts
John.

Add all the blocking and then sand to shape. Don't be shy when it comes to sanding ... You end up shaping the keel, sheer and chine all at the same time. These boats are beautiful when done! Great job on your other two Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:55 AM
West Virginia
Joined Mar 2010
3 Posts
I agree with H. Lauer. I'm just about done with my build of the Dumas Barrelback. I had no difficulty sanding the balsa blocks to shape and it didn't take too long.
Dsquared is offline Find More Posts by Dsquared
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Hatchet Jack are those the stock dumas fittings on your completed models? The finish on them look a little different than mine...
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:51 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll add the rest of the blocks and start shaping from there. Hopefully it'll go smoothly. Habanaro, those are the stock Dumas fittings on each boat. I've tried to do some home plating on unplated fittings but not with much success. I'm learning from my mistakes though .

John
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:40 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
What's been going wrong with the plating John?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
What's been going wrong with the plating John?
Using the Caswell copper/nickel kit; the copper went on fine but I don't think I prepared and cleaned/buffed the parts sufficiently before I tried the nickel. Pretty sure now that they really need to be buffed out thoroughly before the nickel goes on. Good experience to get familiar with plating though.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:08 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Oh yes we all love "experience"
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Things are progressing nicely, I've completed the initial framing process. I added the rest of the balsa blocks and shaped the bow with all of them in place. Thanks for the advice on that, it was definitely the way to go. Some fresh 80 grit sanding blocks made quick work of the balsa.

Next the chines and stringers were trimmed flush with frame 10 and the pine block and tapered balsa blocks were glued to the frame in preparation for the transom piece. As per the instructions, I glued the transom to the pine block first and then glued to each tapered block clamped with clothespins. This step completes the initial framing process and from here it's on to the subplanking process on the bottom. Even with just the framing done, this boat has beautiful lines.

Sub-planking with the ply strips will be new for me, as the two previous CCs I've built used the sintra matrerial. First step will be sanding the keel to an egde and fairing the stringers etc. in preparation for the sub-planking. Here's some pics of my progress to date, thanks for looking!

John
Old May 02, 2010, 10:48 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
I've started the diagonal bottom sub-planking with the 1" ply strips and everything seems on track so far. We'll see how it goes as I approach the bow section, that should be fun. A quick question, do you think the front keel section (K1) needs to be sanded down to a sharper angle? I took a close-up photo for reference. I'd appreciate any input as to whether I need to shape that further. Thanks for looking!

John
Old May 08, 2010, 09:41 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,133 Posts
Nice work so far HJ, I can't remember the subplanking part of my BB, but here's a shot of the bow after the mahogany was stuck down.
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old May 09, 2010, 02:04 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Thanks Pat, I'm enjoying this build a great deal, it's a little more complex than the other two CC's I've completed. Well the bottom sub-planking is completed and it went pretty well. I had one minor foul up but none of this should be ultimately visible so non biggie. I switched from 1" to 1/2" planking around frame 2 as the photos show. Getting around the point of the bow was a little tricky but I think it came out ok. A little filler and some final shaping hopefully will do the job.

I did end up having to do a little more shaping of the front keel section and bring it to a slightly sharper angle but not too much.

At this point it's just a little wood filler and final sanding/shaping and then the hull will be removed from the building board. Here's some pics of the latest progress.

John
Old May 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Just a couple of small updates but a milestone reached! The barrelback is now freed from the building board. I sanded the bottom planking flush with the chine and then cut the frame from the board. Next step was to remove the frame legs and sand flush with the sheer (S1). Finally, I completed the temporary test install of the servo tray. According to the instructions, this will be removed and be permanently installed later in the build. Here's the latest pics, thanks for looking!

John