HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Heavy Chevy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 03, 2010, 12:03 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
So I flew with the stock prop again and wow, what a difference. THen I F'd up my take off and dropped it into a bush avoiding a tree and broke the prop. I'll have to order more from the revolution shop.....aka r2hobbies.com

I have some GWS EP 10x6 props that I'm going to try. I spun it up in the house and it is moving a whole lot of air.
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 12:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,888 Posts
It's prob faster and more twitchy now eh? Lol have fun buddy!

I am waiting for parts in order go rebuild my UM p51
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 03, 2010, 08:28 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
^^Check this out, retractable landing gear, balsa wood!!! I may have found my next victim

I'm going to try to wait on this one but man, it looks sweet!

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...od=rcpl0701001
Old May 03, 2010, 08:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,888 Posts
looks cool
Old May 06, 2010, 08:54 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
So two days ago was a really bad day for the Mustang

First, I got home only to find the rudder broken and the plane on the floor. I had left it on top of the fridge and my cat pushed it off at some poin tduring the day. I was so peed and fired up the glue gun right away and fixed it.

I went out and flew it that night and had a good flight, popped the next lipo in and gave it a hand launch, (I've done that before without any trouble). Well, it somehow did a nose dive, sending a few pieces flying including the nose breaking right off.

I went home and fixed it all. Because of the glue that I used, I left the two AA batteries out of it, (the ones that I added for extra weight). I went to bed after that feeling better that it was once again ready for the air.

I flew it last night at the best time of the day ever: that time when the sun is going down, the sky is pink and pretty and the wind is gone. I flew through three lipos and they were the best flights that I have had yet; it was great. I really like how this plane looks in the air, I don't think I'll have a million warbirds or anything but man, it looks nice. You just have to watch the takeoffs and landings with this one, definately more challenging than the Cessna.

I can't say enough good things about the company I bought it and many of my planes from too.
Here, go and buy one, they are well worth it:

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...=rcpl51033_arf

Looks so nice and flies so well. Can't wait to go fly it again.

Old May 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
So my landing gear metal tired and broke. I used a coat hanger and hollowed out a trench in the wing and hot glued it in with some upgraded, smoother and thicker wheels. I left one AA in the nose for weight. The stock props from R2hobbies.com are truly the best props I've used on this plane.

I love this plane

I'm being sent some unwanted retracts from a friend and if they fit, I will upgrade it again.

Old May 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
So my landing gear metal tired and broke. I used a coat hanger and hollowed out a trench in the wing and hot glued it in with some upgraded, smoother and thicker wheels. I left one AA in the nose for weight. The stock props from R2hobbies.com are truly the best props I've used on this plane.

I love this plane

I'm being sent some unwanted retracts from a friend and if they fit, I will upgrade it again.

Ooooo Retracts? I cant wait to see and hear how you like them. I've never tried it. Too expensive/heavy/one more thing to go wrong. I've kinda always wanted to though...
nikolaus_c is offline Find More Posts by nikolaus_c
Old May 28, 2010, 09:00 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolaus_c View Post
Ooooo Retracts? I cant wait to see and hear how you like them. I've never tried it. Too expensive/heavy/one more thing to go wrong. I've kinda always wanted to though...
Yeah! Pretty exciting eh? I called him a friend but the truth is that it's a guy right here in the forums who won't even let me pay shipping from Switzerland. He made me promise to buy him a beer if ever we meet up. Nice people in the world are so great!
Old Jun 02, 2010, 10:20 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Here's a vid from a from two weeks back. I finally got some more stock props and boy, what a difference they make! This plane flys great! It's fast when you want to go and slow when you want it to be.

P-51 Mustang flight (6 min 20 sec)
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:33 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
I got an email asking about CG of this plane so I'm posting pics of where I like mine. This plane needs to be nose heavy or bye bye mustang. Eventually, the landing gear will fail and will snap off. I used one solid piece of coat hanger and hot glued it in place. Check my pic for lipo placement, the coat hanger wire and CG measuring points.

CG is 1 and 3/4 of an inch from the wing. Look at my pic to know what spot of the wing to measure it from and remember to balance it upside down and with the battery in it.

Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Hi
I just got one myself, and I put this motor on it with the APC 10X3.8

Did a maiden but it was tail heavy because I over balanced it by putting the receiver in the tail...
I barley landed it in the tall grass.

Any tips you can give me before launching it for the second time the next weekend?
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:33 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
YES, this plane must be nose heavy, absolutely nose heavy; move your RX up. Once my landing gear snapped I dug out a small trench and added a coat hanger wire, one sold piece for the wheels. I even extneded the distance between the wheels and then backfilled it with hot glue. Despite all of this, my lipo is all the way up plus I have a AA battery in the nose, this is how I fly it.

It is really a truly fantastic flyer. I havn't flown mine since the summer, just too cold these days but I can't wait to get her in the air again.

It seems to me that this plane got a bad wrap when it came out because people didn't realise that it needed to be nose heavy.

If I think of anything else, I'll post

I hand launched this plane once, never again! Do a rolling take off, she's a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
Hi
I just got one myself, and I put this motor on it with the APC 10X3.8

Did a maiden but it was tail heavy because I over balanced it by putting the receiver in the tail...
I barley landed it in the tall grass.

Any tips you can give me before launching it for the second time the next weekend?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Also, I've got a 9" slow fly prop on it and she is fast. If I remember correctly, r2hobbies had the best prop and it was infact the stock prop. I had tried others but they were not as good.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:28 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,888 Posts
Rubby two shoes

where are the snow flight vids?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:41 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
LOL!

It's just not as much fun in the cold

Ya see, there are two spots I got and fly at:

The runway - a dead end road with a big open space, no grass. That's where I am in that video up there ^^^ It's about a minute and a half drive from my house.

Then I've got the Yukon RC flying field which is a dream come true.

Both these spots are not plowed in the winter so there is zero access to the field and walking access to the runway.

I did fly my supercub a few weeks back at the runway, had skis on it