SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Discussion
Excellent service from Sig with Avistar Warranty

I just wanted to give Sig a big thumbs up. My Aviastar .46 had a spun lower bearing (very well could have been caused by running it too rich), and in the course of taking the engine apart, I had lost one of the screws that held the muffler on.

It took about 3.5 weeks to get the engine back, but I got a note stating what they repaired, and he threw in the muffler screw at no charge (I told him I was perfectly willing to pay for it).

The engine started right up and is running sweet. So that means I have two aviastar engines in the fleet. I feel like I can't blame them for the spun bearing, as my .53 has never given me problems and I've been careful not to let that engine go too rich, and I gave it an easy, extended break-in before flying.
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
In love with aviation
Joined Apr 2010
387 Posts
It seems like for the most part this hobby has many warranty "triumphs" compared to the rest of the stuff we buy, ie. how do they treat you at best buy? Probably because RC is so expensive!
flying-things is offline Find More Posts by flying-things
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:54 AM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,544 Posts
I dont think your bearing troubles were caused by running too rich(even though a rich mix can cause liner binding) , the AV engines are know to occasionally burn up a lower rod bearing.
The cause is under investigation but too tight a bearing tolerance is probably the culprit. And as you have found they are a great engine if you get one with a good carb.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie8696 View Post
I dont think your bearing troubles were caused by running too rich(even though a rich mix can cause liner binding) , the AV engines are know to occasionally burn up a lower rod bearing.
The cause is under investigation but too tight a bearing tolerance is probably the culprit. And as you have found they are a great engine if you get one with a good carb.
Do you know what is causing the variability with the carb? Are you confident that the issue has been isolated to the carb and not a seal issue with the engine.

Too tight a tolerance usually only causes manufacturing issues. Too loose (wide) a tolerance can cause operational issue as the stack up might result in too little or too much bearing clearance.

Can you expand on the "liner binding" issue?
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:08 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
I thought a lean run was what killed bearings... good on SIG though.
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap