HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:45 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,340 Posts
The only advantage of "true" A123 cells are if you intend to use them for primary motor power in an electric. In low current draw uses like transmitter and even receivers, the prismatic flat LiFePO4 cells are superb. They are lighter, have a better form function (shape), come in a wider variety of capacities, and still provide 5C discharge and in many cases up to 4C charge (Hyperion cells).

What's not to like??
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
I have been using the Hobbico flat LiFePO4 cells and the A123 cylinders with great success; they are both great for receiver applications.

I will continue to use them in the future. All my big planes have the separate receiver packs.

I really like to use a receiver battery separate from the power system. It makes testing of the control surfaces and electronics safer when you don't have the possibility of accidentally arming the power system as you might with BEC systems.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:08 PM
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
157 Posts
How does one set up a LiFe running the RX and svxs.. but a LiPo or A123 running the motor and ESC.?????
Probably a dumb question, but.... I worked hard on my planes and I don't wanna trash them!
Thanks for any tips or links.
Jack
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:37 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
How does one set up a LiFe running the RX and svxs.. but a LiPo or A123 running the motor and ESC.?????
Probably a dumb question, but.... I worked hard on my planes and I don't wanna trash them!
Thanks for any tips or links.
Jack
Jack it is simple. You simply disable your BEC in your ESC by removing the red wire that goes from your speed controller to the receiver. This will disable its ability to provide power through the BEC built into the ESC.

Then you use the LiFe battery by plugging it into the battery (or any other unused) channel.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:24 PM
Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2006
157 Posts
Mike, thank you very much indeed.

Simple is nice.

Jack
juanito is offline Find More Posts by juanito
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
My B & D A123 1100 mahr cells weigh 1.4 oz. Where is the weight savings. There are at least from 2007 or earlier.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,695 Posts
I am a little unclear about what chargers can be used to recharge these packs? Can the Hobbico Triton do it or do you have to buy the "special" Hobbico LiFeSource AC/DC Balancing Charger? The Triton is listed as being able to handle the following chemistries:

Charges 1-14 cell NiMH and NiCd cells and 1-6 cell LiPo, Li-Ion and LiFe (3.6, 3.7 or 3.3V cells)

SO, is the LiFe chemistry listed in the above quote the one that applies to these batteries?

Thanks!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
LiFePO4 = LiFe = A123 (Brand Name) = LiFeSource (Brand Name). Construction of the cells vary, but the charging voltage/method is the same.

The Triton charger can safely charge the LiFeSource chemistry at the correct voltage. You don't have to buy the "special" charger.

I have been using my Triton EQ and my Revolectrix Cellpro PowerLab 8 (PL8) to charge A123's, and LiFeSource; No problems. The PL8 does a nice job of gently charging the packs, and I prefer that to all other chargers.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:07 PM
United States, OH, Jefferson
Joined Jul 2010
84 Posts
Should one do any storage charging with these or just charge and leave em? Thanks!
booboo71 is offline Find More Posts by booboo71
Old Nov 09, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Dec 2010
82 Posts
I have a small plane an i am running an old Futaba NiCd 4-Cell 4.8V 600mAh Square Receiver battery in it. i get about 5, 10 min. flights out of the plane before that battery reaches danger zone. I am thinking about buy a life battery to use in the plane, but not sure which mAh would be my best choice, i would want the plane to do at lease 10 flights before charging..

Next thing, i was looking at this battery from Hobby King: Turnigy nano-tech 2100mAh 2S1P 20~40C LiFePo4 Receiver Pack.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

An was wondering it this pack would give me my 10, 10min. flights. let me know what you think guys..

Thanks all..!
ideas is offline Find More Posts by ideas