Old Jul 01, 2003, 12:14 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Boomer...

Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
you're probably right about the tubing fit. Was just trying to save Daddy-O from a possible ordering mistake by locking him in to one size only, especially since he's not exactly located near a LHS . -thumbs
Really won't matter if he gets both sizes as the shipping is going to be more than the purchase anyway. I would suggest he order about 6 extra props as well. I prefer the 12 X 6 .... I would also suggest he get a 10 amp speed control and a battery pack at least 7 or 8 cell 800 NiMH!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 04:09 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to boomer and thumbs. I am ordering both sizes. It is important for me that I don't take any chances in getting the wrong thing. My mail plane only comes in about once a month from the states (sometimes once every two months). It would be a real bummer if the right stuff didn't come in together on the plane. That would mean at least a one month wait to get what I need. Thanks again, and I will keep you updated as to the progress. If you think of anything I need to know, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am learning on my own since nobody knows nothing (I know, a double negative) about this stuff here.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jul 01, 2003, 04:18 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Boomer,

I found this list of yours on another thread and took heed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You you want one place for everything can get it all at
http://www.allerc.com/
much cheaper than any other place I've seen!
Slow Stick $34.95
GWS Transmitter $32.95
GWS Pico Receiver $24.95
Crystal for receiver $7.25
2 Naro servos $14.95 each
8 cell NiMH 800 pack $18.95
GWS 300 Speed control $17.95
and any connectors you will need
Or you can just go for your choice of combo flight packs for under $100 including everything but connectors and Transmitter
Email for a package price and tell him you want everything it will take to get it flying plus hooking up your Charger!! Great service!
boomer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I copied the list to an email and sent it to David. He replies fast to emails and is very informative. The only thing he suggested differently is the Speed controller. He suggested the GWS 400 in place of the 300. I have already ordered my extra props as you suggested as well as a prop saver. Is the GWS 4 channel receiver good or should I go with the 6 channel since I want to eventually do some photography? Thanks for all the help again.
Daddy-O
Old Jul 01, 2003, 05:37 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy-O
[ Is the GWS 4 channel receiver good or should I go with the 6 channel since I want to eventually do some photography? Thanks for all the help again.
Daddy-O [/B]
Daddy-O, the slowstick is a 3 channel plane - you can use the spare 4th channel for AP. However, one day you might want to change to an 4 channel plane, so why not start off with a 6-channel rx ?
Texy
www.btinternet.com/~texy/flying.htm
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
Old Jul 01, 2003, 09:44 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Agree with Texy, you can always find a use for a 6 ch. Rx later. If it's not too late, you might want to add a spare crystal or two for your Rx. They have a tendency to go bad after a few one point landings, and spares will save the day. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Jul 01, 2003, 10:55 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Good advice from Texy and Fumblethumbs! You will need a 40 watt soldering iron and rosin core solder also along with 5 minute epoxy! And don't forget the battery charger!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Jul 01, 2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:21 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of the advice, I will go with the 6 channel Rx and the extra crystals. I do still need to buy glues and epoxies. Could someone give me a list of what I should always have on hand? I read that some don't fully cure and boomer said to throw out the stuff that comes with the SS kit in a previous thread, so I won't be using it.

I am hoping that this becomes a family hobby. There is not much to do down here for recreation. I have five children, three of which I am hoping to teach how to fly after I learn (the other two will have to grow a little first). My wife is also somewhat interested and I think the SS will be her cup of tea. Thanks again.
Daddy-O
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:45 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all of the advice, I will go with the 6 channel Rx and the extra crystals. I do still need to buy glues and epoxies. Could someone give me a list of what I should always have on hand? I read that some don't fully cure and boomer said to throw out the stuff that comes with the SS kit in a previous thread, so I won't be using it.

I am hoping that this becomes a family hobby. There is not much to do down here for recreation. I have five children, three of which I am hoping to teach how to fly after I learn (the other two will have to grow a little first). My wife is also somewhat interested and I think the SS will be her cup of tea. Thanks again.
Daddy-O
I would get Thick and Thin Odorless foam safe CA and Accelerator(I use Bob Smith Super-Gold+)and 5 and 30 minute epoxies. You will also want some 2" clear packing tape on hand for any repairs and for making the tips of the wings and tail feathers "Scuff proof" for less than perfect take-offs and landings!
boomer
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:50 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Did Allerc also suggest extra Gearbox's and prop shafts in case you bend a shaft or break a gearcase. One spare complete 300C-D motor wouldn't be a bad idea either! I have to remember nothing is available so you will need a spare parts supply!
boomer
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:16 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
You guys are helping me put together a pretty good shopping list. I don't understand what a carbon rod is or where to buy them. Do they come in different sizes and should I have some laying around for repairs? I found some carbon tape, but didn't think I needed that.
Daddy-O
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:25 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
3mm = .11811"
1/8" = .125"

For an interference fit between a 3mm rod and 1/8" OD tube, the wall thickness is .003445". A loose fit would require a thinner wall thickness. A 20 lb bright white sheet of paper is approx. .004"; a 16 lb copier sheet is approx. .003".

The K&S brass tubing at my LHS is designed to nest in 1/32" diameter increments. Wall thickness is just under 1/64", or .015625", five times the wall thickness of the above example. This brass tubing is weak enough to bend under finger tension. Any less and you may as well stick with the aluminum.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
OK all I remeasured the OD with a better ruler and a magnifying setup and it appears the actual OD is 5/32". Sorry for the screw-up! fumblethumbs idea was a good one! Kinnic^2 glad you posted the figures!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Jul 01, 2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:52 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
You guys are helping me put together a pretty good shopping list. I don't understand what a carbon rod is or where to buy them. Do they come in different sizes and should I have some laying around for repairs? I found some carbon tape, but didn't think I needed that.
Daddy-O
The supplied fiberglas rods work well and the carbon isn't necessary for a stock build!
boomer
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Measure twice, cut, er, order once.

Agree, I follow fumblethumbs' advice too, there's never a problem with having lots of random parts, hardware, wood, foam, etc. on hand!
Old Jul 01, 2003, 03:00 PM
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
At the risk of getting too specific on this thread , hollow .125 extruded CF tubing isn't all that stronger than the supplied solid fiberglass rods, it's just a hair lighter (never weighed it). I only used it on mine because I had some on hand.
Closed Thread