Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Boomer,
LOL!
yeah, he is!
Let's see...his current status.
2 channel practice: "let's move the battery 2 in forward"!! - crash, had to melt and reshape the nose back into shape - Into tree twice
3 channel practise (from another gentleman's, before I got mine)-broken prop - cracked wing (I told the man he shouldn't let him fly!! )My SS: - 2 broken props - 2 bad ideas which lead me to the wrong descision ("I promise, I promise") gave me another broken prop saver, a ripped off rudder. One broken gearbox (one broekn gearbox is the one explained above - HE was at the sticks).

And we still get together!

No, he'll always find a way to fix it. When I think I need another SS, I need to bring it up to 200ft, and do circles around the tallest tree, and hand him the tx. "Dad, don't fly too far from this tree or the wind will take it away"

-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aeropenguin

..........Fumble, is that 15.4oz with the battery? Wow, there seems to be tons of veriation in the weights!! Sounds like that does not include the battery, and then it is just under my SS weight.

**Once more, guys, please keep the conversation informative and general, no personal questions, etc**

Boomer and fumble, I edited in a paragraph about weight in part II...do you agree? About...? Please don't kill me if I'm one ounce off though

Thanx for listening guys!
-Michael
Yup Michael, 15.4 ozs. AUW including the pack, velcro & bands to hold it on! Surprised me a tad too, as I'm not widely known for my tendencies to build light . The scale is correct also, checked it against another. The Slow Stick is just one of those planes that will accomodate a wide range of weights and still fly predictably. Might just be the "pickup truck of slowfliers" . As for posting weights, I'm all for it. I'll take any info I can get concerning a model I'm interested in, especially if it indicates versatility! -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:42 AM
An Original!
Joined Aug 2001
955 Posts
Has anyone here used the hardwood dowel inside the aluminum fuse stick mod? I've heard where some people were bending thier fuse so I did what a friend did. Didn't add much weight. I suppose you could use balsa but I used some kind of hardwood.
Has stock motor and prop and use an 8cell pack Kan-950s. It weighs a little more than 22oz (w/Pencam). Has plenty of get up and go to haul my Pencam to scary altitudes.

Haven't had a chance to crash it yet cause it floats to the ground so slowly.
Gliderguy is offline Find More Posts by Gliderguy
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:50 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gliderguy
Has anyone here used the hardwood dowel inside the aluminum fuse stick mod? I've heard where some people were bending thier fuse so I did what a friend did. Didn't add much weight. I suppose you could use balsa but I used some kind of hardwood.
Has stock motor and prop and use an 8cell pack Kan-950s. It weighs a little more than 22oz (w/Pencam). Has plenty of get up and go to haul my Pencam to scary altitudes.

Haven't had a chance to crash it yet cause it floats to the ground so slowly.
I usually cut a piece of hardwood and saw in the right and down thrust for the motor and run it to just rear of the wing as that what seems to bend if crashed!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:32 PM
Boise Gowen Fld, Idaho, United States
Joined Feb 2003
618 Posts
Last night I bent my fuse on the SS. I tried to straighten it out and snapped the fuse in front of the LE support. I am now trying to rod the fuse then sleeve it with the removable tail sleeve that came with the kit. Hope this works since there is not a single SS to be had here in town and I want to fly the SS this weekend since it is my only wind model.
On my next SS I will be using a dowel through the fuse and want to try elevons but keep my rudder. I dont know if this has been done so I will be ordering 2 SS since I am expecting to do alot of dorking with the elevons.
fixwingagain is offline Find More Posts by fixwingagain
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:52 AM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Quote:
**Once more, guys, please keep the conversation informative and general, no personal questions, etc**
I guess my efforts failed

Fumble, that is amazingly low weight! I do not have any clue as to how you could get it that low - mine is ~19oz with an 8oz battery, and not much weight added in modifications! Oh well - it still flies like a dream...

>>>I usually cut a piece of hardwood and saw in the right and down thrust for the motor and run it to just rear of the wing as that what seems to bend if crashed!<<<
wow, there are two very intersting things there....I wouldn't have guessed where most of the bent fuses bend...! And, I am not sure whether this is what you meant or not, but it gave me an idea - I can take a hard-wood square stock that fits right down the SS fuse, and then cut off two inches of the metal from the front, and then add saw in a bend in the hardwood thing - 3* down and right or something of the likes, and then place the sawed off metal above that, and there you go! Reinforced metal stick, AND down and right thrust!

flywingagain, I hope you can fix your SS! Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

Thanx!
-Michael
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:30 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
The slowstick is a very versatile plane, and can be used with many combinations. This in itself causes new flyers grief - including myself!

Texy
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
Last edited by Texy; Jun 27, 2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:07 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aeropenguin
I guess my efforts failed

Fumble, that is amazingly low weight! I do not have any clue as to how you could get it that low - mine is ~19oz with an 8oz battery, and not much weight added in modifications! Oh well - it still flies like a dream...

Thanx!
-Michael
Mystery solved, Michael:My 8X720 Sanyo NiMh packs weigh only 3.8 ozs. w/connector & shrinkwrap. If your SS weighs 19 ozs. with an 8 oz. pack, it would AUW at 14.8 ozs. with the 8X720 pack! -thumbs
Last edited by fumblethumbs; Jun 27, 2003 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:14 AM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Fumble, yippee! I see now - with a lighter lipo pack, I would even be *lighter* than you. How cool! Now, for the next mystery...how can a 720mAh pack weigh THAT much less than my KAN 950 pack????? It's only 230mAH away! Oh Well, soon enough, I'll get a 2s lipo and it will be lighter...

Thank you, and Please, let's stay on topic, and general stuff only.

-Michael
Last edited by aeropenguin; Jun 27, 2003 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:36 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Where's the brass

Ok, just what you needed on this site, another newby. Actually, I have been here for a while reading, learning and trying to figure out what I want to do. I have decided to get a Slow Stick. I have read through the mod's that are listed and am sure that I would like to get the brass tube for the dihedral. My problem is that I need to order it online since I live in a city in the Dominican Republic where it is hard to find basic food supplies let alone hobby supplies. Can someone post a link to the exact brass tube that I should get to complete this mod. I have found some different ones, but don't know which would be better. I've also noted that they would mark them as 1/8 " but don't say if that is ID or OD.

I would also like to do some A.P. and have an Aiptek headed to WildMoose as I type this. Thank you for the help.

Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Hi Daddy-O, welcome to the E Zone! Hobby Lobby and Tower Hobbies sell brass tubing, but both list the O.D. as the pertinent dimension. You might want to order two sizes, the 1/8" and the 5/32" to get the I.D. close enough for epoxy to do the rest . You chose wisely with the SS. Keep us posted! -thumbs
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
You want 1/8" OD!
boomer
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:27 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boomerace
You want 1/8" OD!
boomer
You sure about that Boomer? The 3mm glass rods from my GWS kit mike at .116"-118" O.D. (I used .125" CF rod). It would have to be awful thin-walled tubing for a slip fit. -thumbs
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:42 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
You sure about that Boomer? The 3mm glass rods from my GWS kit mike at .116"-118" O.D. (I used .125" CF rod). It would have to be awful thin-walled tubing for a slip fit. -thumbs
Just measured my brass stock I use for the SS and it is 1/8" OD.. ID is a hair over 3mm so rods need a little epoxy to make them solid! Mine came from LHS so am sure it's same tubing as they get it from Horizon!
boomer
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:53 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
Boomer...

you're probably right about the tubing fit. Was just trying to save Daddy-O from a possible ordering mistake by locking him in to one size only, especially since he's not exactly located near a LHS . -thumbs
Closed Thread