HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:46 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
OK probably not the right place to ask, but.....

a lot of people (myself included) have bought the SS for aerial photography. I,ve bolted a homemade camera mount for my aiptek camera. I,m using a standard 8-cell AA nicad pack (which weighs 7ozs on its own). My AUW is 24ozs with camera and everything.
Is this typical , or too much?
Cheers,
Texy
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2003, 02:12 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
here's okay - I'm here to try and help you out!

24oz is a bit is really fat. I am guessing that it will maybe sustain level frlight, and not have enough power to rise and gain altitude, using the GWS EPS-300C drive system, w/ "D" gearing, and a 12x6 prop.

Try to stay at about 16oz - mine weighs about that, so with all the camara related stuff - camara, switch (or servo), mount, etc, try to add only 3oz. See if you can keep it at that, which would give you a 19oz airplane, which is okay...

I personally have not done aerial photography yet, so I do not know what other people's SS's weigh w/ an aiptek, and what's the max. allowed.

How much does your entire camara fixture weigh (everything camara related), and how much does everything but it (batt inlcuded...) weigh?
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Jun 22, 2003, 04:53 PM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Well my ss, without the camera gear on weighs 21ozs. I know that the battery pack weighs 7ozs. So your battery pack must only weigh around 2ozs ??
Well my camera+mount+ PIC controller weighs just over 3ozs.
Oh and my ss came with the 1180 prop.
Am I right in saying that the UK oz and the USA oz are the same?

Texy
Old Jun 22, 2003, 04:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I have flown it stock at 28oz with a 12 X 6 prop without problems! Climbout isn't fantastic but it gets up there!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 22, 2003, 05:14 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Boomer, really? Hmmm, I flew mine once with a 12oz airframe and a 13oz battery, making it 25oz, and I dunno if I could call it "fly". More like drop! That was with the stock 1147 prop.
May battery weighs around 6oz...with a 12oz airframe (well, everything but the battery) makes 18oz. With a 12x6 or 12x8, it *plenty* 'o power...

21oz without the camara??
That sounds like a lot! What modificatoins have you done?

Anyway, boomerace is more knowledgable than I, so he can answer all of your questions

-Michael
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:54 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
No mods done on my slowstick.
The Rx weighs just under 1 oz with crystal fitted.
I,ve got 2 hs-81's fitted which would be 1 1/4 ozs total.
I guess the battery pack is a little heavy at 7ozs.
I,m just going to have to try it.
Should I try and get a 1260 prop?

Texy
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:04 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Texy
No mods done on my slowstick.
The Rx weighs just under 1 oz with crystal fitted.
I,ve got 2 hs-81's fitted which would be 1 1/4 ozs total.
I guess the battery pack is a little heavy at 7ozs.
I,m just going to have to try it.
Should I try and get a 1260 prop?

Texy
The 12 X 6 will give more thrust but should fly fine with the prop you have!
boomer
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
thanks boomer - I guess I,ll just have to give it a try!!

I would be interested to know other peoples slowstick AP weights though.
Texy
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:06 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
I'm still waiting for my Aiptek, and flying with an Astro 010 brushless with an 11x6 prop...I'll let you know....(I know, been promising this to everyone for the past month, but I'm still waiting for customs to clear the darn camera)
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:15 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Guys,
first of all, lets please keep this general. Personal problems (overweight SS, etc) can be dealed with on a separate thread.

Texy, looks like boomerace will take care of you
BUT, I have to admit, something is very very weird, or it's just me. My SS has a ton more epoxy as advertised, I used stainless steel (nearly twice the weight) for the dihedral FB joiner, and extended it longer than the original, etc etc, and my SS still weighs about ~12oz AUW, without the battery. With a ~6oz batt, it comes in at ~18-19oz.
I am using a KAN batt pack, 2 HS-55 servos, a 555 rx, and the stock motor & GB w/ props ranging from 11x4.7 - 12x8 (don't use that if you can avoid it - I use it when the LHS runs out of everything else)

Your 7oz batt should be fine.

I recomend a 12x6 prop myself, but you should expect more amps - not good for a kokam or E-Tec pack, or your ESC or battery if ~10amps is right around the limit).

Morb, an 010...mmmmm...I wish I had one! Oh well, in my mind, the 12x6 on the EPS-300C is too much. I'll upgrade to a Promax cobalt 4014 when the cruddy GWS motor burns out on me. I'm the only person on earth who wants their motor to burn!
AP sounds like tons of fun, and I was thi-i-i-i-s close to buying a Mustek G-3 once, but somehow backed out and I don't think I'll be trying it in quite a while.

Again - general questions here please - "what's the general approximate weight I should expect" is a good one - "how can I make *my* SS lighter?" is not...

Thanx! Glad to help!
-Michael
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:41 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
P.S. I edited in a part about SS weights w/ and w/out camaras...in Part II.
Great question Tex - I should have thought of it myself.

-Michael
Old Jun 25, 2003, 09:45 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
SS weight check: 15.4 ozs. with Naros, 300ESC, 300C motor, 6 ch. Naro Rx, generous epoxy througout, .125" CF rods epoxied into the LE & TE (also taped), shop-made brass dihedral tubes, ply wedges in wing racks for added dihedral (needed-floats to come!), 8X720 NiMh packs, CF rod also used to make a batt-pack rack, GWS wheels, and around twelve rubber bands . -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Last edited by fumblethumbs; Jun 25, 2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
SS weight check: 15.4 ozs. with Naros, 300ESC, 300C motor, 6 ch. Naro Rx, generous epoxy througout, .125" CF rods epoxied into the LE & TE (also taped), shop-made brass dihedral tubes, ply wedges in wing racks for added dihedral (needed-floats to come!), 8X720 NiMh packs, CF rod also used to make a batt-pack rack, GWS wheels, and around twelve rubber bands . -thumbs
That's about the weight most of my stock builds came out! I also use heavier LG and foam wheels!
boomer
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:12 PM
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
fumble, you've got a great generous list there!
I keep adding more and more mods as I fly this plane! I added this alluminum 3/4"x1/8" stock and wrapped it around the gearbox at the very front to keep it from shattering, and to make it stronger.

I let my father fly it, and guess what? Stalled it first thing, nose first. Bent shaft, broken GB, broken prop saver (the prop was good as new )....
He now flies under strict rules that if it goes under 20ft, I he automatically gives me the tx. I take off and land it.

That was the seond time,

I bought some 11x4.7 props now, which make it fly nice and slow, as a pose to the 12x8's I was using earlier.

Fumble, is that 15.4oz with the battery? Wow, there seems to be tons of veriation in the weights!! Sounds like that does not include the battery, and then it is just under my SS weight.

**Once more, guys, please keep the conversation informative and general, no personal questions, etc**

Boomer and fumble, I edited in a paragraph about weight in part II...do you agree? About...? Please don't kill me if I'm one ounce off though

Thanx for listening guys!
-Michael
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:20 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Michael,
Haven't killed you yet have I but seems your father is out to get your SS! Wait until it gets really beat up then let him crash it and buy you a new one!
boomer
Closed Thread