SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trprhook
I used the double sided tape PLUS screwed the tail feathers on. Also inserted a 5/16 Sq balsa stick in tube.

Hook
So you drilled 1mm holes into the aluminum tube and then screwed the tail feather on? What are the dihedrals? Where should I find a balsa stick to insert the tube?
almies is offline Find More Posts by almies
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:59 PM
Vacaville, Calif
Joined Jul 2003
98 Posts
You can get the balsa at any hobby shop or craft store. The dihedrals are as they come from the factory on the front wing. On the tail everything needs to be square.. right angles. I put a small piece of balsa to keep the right angles as the rudder is a bit flimsey..
Jump in here everyone..cuz.. my SS hasen't even flown yet.. tomorrow or sunday.. 'pending on weather..

Hook
Trprhook is offline Find More Posts by Trprhook
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:19 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almies
So you drilled 1mm holes into the aluminum tube and then screwed the tail feather on? What are the dihedrals? Where should I find a balsa stick to insert the tube?
I use the double sided tape and stick on the tail feathers... I then glue the plastic reinforcing pieces on the foam over the tape area... I then drill and screw the whole mess to the aluminum fuse! Do not cut the fuse! That is an option if you need to remove the tail for transporting! A really stupid option in my opinion!!!! The dihedral tubes and fiberglas rods go on the wings! Glue the rods into the tubes and then glue the tubes and rods to the wing with a small amount of epoxy and wrap with clear packing tape! I would suggest you do the right and down thrust mod to make the SS handle better!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:06 PM
Vacaville, Calif
Joined Jul 2003
98 Posts
I agree... cutting the fuse.. ARGH!
There is a thread here.."Adjustable motor mount".. for the right and down thrust also..
If you can't find it.. let me know.. I can put it up for you..

Hook
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:10 PM
Upstate New York
Joined Aug 2003
9 Posts
I just wanted to thank all the people in this thread for making me another SS success story. The information and discussions provided here were instrumental in my airplane choice, build and now my first few flights! I am glad that I picked the SS as a "real" trainer and look forward to a long stay in this hobby. Special thanks to aeropenguin and boomer for their tips/posts.
Ed
fodderlm is offline Find More Posts by fodderlm
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:43 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Ed, I am really glad that you got your SS help here, found it useful, and have another success story! If you have any good pictures, videos, or tips, here is the place. Anything intersting would be highly appreciated by all.

Daddy-O, Good luck for when your plane comes - I was just about to ask you about what's up over there...

Almies, personally, I am not exactly sure if you need the balsa in the fuselage. Others have their opinions, but from the biggst crash I've had (15ft vertical dive) the worst I've had was a broken gearbox. I would not really worry about the fuselage bending. But, that's my experience.
About the epoxy/double-sides tape thing, the epoxy for the tailfeathers is not ver y neccessary, so the "D-S" tape would be just fine. For the wing, however, I recommend the epoxy for the fiberglass structures. If you would like to keep weight and the # of mdifications down, then if you get some of your own, industrial strength packaging tape, then it would work fine too. Just don't do giant doves and motor upgrades, and you'll be just fine. However, if you don't use epoxy, I strongly suggest making your own custom made dihedral brace instead of the alluminum one. Either one or the other mod would work. You could skip on the wheel mod, the differential thrust mod, but I would keep the rest. You can use your own judgement and see what you need or think you would want. All the mods are cheap and easy, and maybe ad a total of one or 1 1/2 hours of work to your assembley time. If you use lithium polymer batteries, then you would have an extremely lightweight and slow-flying masterpiece.
Do not worry about the dihedral - you will get the right amount (or close enough) if you do things as described. You just unfold the wing panel halfs into one wing, and when you open them to the maximum, they'll already be at the right spot. If you do somehow manage to change it a little, do not sweat it, more means more stability, less means more aerobatic capablty, and teaches you to keep you on your toes while flying, since you will have to constantly adjust things here and there. The glide will not be affected too much, however.
Good luck! Feel free to post any questions or comments or tips long the way!

Thanks guys!
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Last edited by aeropenguin; Aug 17, 2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:59 PM
Vacaville, Calif
Joined Jul 2003
98 Posts
Excellent reply Michael!
Hook
Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:02 AM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
Why thank you, sir! But Hook, in what way?

Oh, and also, I might work with another ezoner to combine our thoughts into a few new ultimate first posts, if you know what I mean. But, don't get to anxious...
I would have to ask a moderator to allow me to slip in a reply afer the first two, since I have only about 4 characters under my minimum for both of my first two posts... Maybe we can make a part three?

Thanks!
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Last edited by aeropenguin; Aug 16, 2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
I need a complete guide to putting this together. As I said I am completely new to this and haven't a clue of all the terminology, I am a hands on learner. Anyway, when attaching the aluminum tube to the horizontal stabilizer, do I attach on the top or the bottom? The directions aren't very clear on this, according to the pictures if I do the fixed tail its looks to be on the top, but if I do the detachable tail it looks to be on the bottom.

I'm sorry I need my hand held with this, I just would rather not screw it up since I don't know of a LHS in my area to go and get new parts.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
I need a complete guide to putting this together. As I said I am completely new to this and haven't a clue of all the terminology, I am a hands on learner. Anyway, when attaching the aluminum tube to the horizontal stabilizer, do I attach on the top or the bottom? The directions aren't very clear on this, according to the pictures if I do the fixed tail its looks to be on the top, but if I do the detachable tail it looks to be on the bottom.

I'm sorry I need my hand held with this, I just would rather not screw it up since I don't know of a LHS in my area to go and get new parts.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:10 AM
Idaho Falls Idaho
Joined Jun 2003
24 Posts
almies,

I know how ya feel. The elevator goes underneath, if it were placed on top you would'nt have a support for the rudder.

As for what else.. I can post a pic of a C of G stand I made.. saw it somewhere so its not my idea.. but sure does help with balancing
TrooperHook is offline Find More Posts by TrooperHook
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:44 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tail wheel and tail feather install
boomer
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:46 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
These picures have some of my mods included but should help with how the some of the plastic pieces go on!
boomer
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
another Front wing mount
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:48 AM
Been There! Done That!