HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,878 Posts
Discussion
The Shed blog

Thought I would chart the progress of my new shed/aeromodelling workshop. I have a garage which is not really usable (full of old motorbikes and a fridge/freezer), my loft is converted but very small (ok for building Peanut scale!!) and my days of being allowed to build on the kitchen breakfast bar are over (by mutual consent!).

So I've asked a local shed company to do the whole lot, lay the base, build the shed and install a new garden fence while they are at it. Work should start in about 10 days and I'm looking forward to moving in.

Will post progress as it happens, might help others who are thinking of doing the same thing.

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:34 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,878 Posts
Some progress

New fence is up and the base is laid, missed them doing it because I was at work (I like to watch hard work!!).

Been visiting kitchen suppliers and DIY stores today for ideas on what to do on the inside.

Need an electrician to visit and run power in, nothing scares me more than 240 volt house electrics, best left to people who know what they are doing.

More when the shed actually goes up, should be later this week.

GB
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,878 Posts
Done and moved in!!

Well the guys turned up this afternoon and built the shed in about two hours, and that was with a couple of tea breaks!!

Marvellous!!!

They made it look easy but I could see the skill involved with special attention to making sure everything was square.

Reclaimed my old hi-fi (so that I can play my favourite ABBA cds!) and spent a few moments pondering how to lay it all out. A big worktop under the windows would be a good start and loads of shelves and cupboards no doubt.

Must go as it is club flying night.

Cheers

GB
Old May 03, 2010, 12:41 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,463 Posts
Insulation next...lots of it. Then heating, microwave, fridge, kettle and bed....you do not want to be uncomfortable once the long suffering Mrs B has banished you to the 'Binnie Aeroworks' for another buildathon?
Another godsend would be a telephone to call for teas and meals...
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Last edited by GeeW; May 05, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 02:50 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I need something like that. Nice shed.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old May 05, 2010, 04:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
62 Posts
poor old hedgehogs!!!!
andyharrold is offline Find More Posts by andyharrold
Old May 05, 2010, 04:57 PM
bicester uk
Joined May 2008
5 Posts
nice shed garry ,
makes my garage look small , you will be able to build one BIG kit in there !!
cheers
jerry
jez22 is offline Find More Posts by jez22
Old May 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,878 Posts
Getting there

Sorry guys, I forgot to subscribe to this thread so I didn't know that I had replies, doh!!!

Aye, no more hedgehogs or foxes, we had a fox stuck in the garden a few years ago, t'was after the pet rabbits (safe in their hutch), a man from the RSPCA came and caught it, good fun watching him chase it round the garden!!

Well, some progress with the shed, slower than I would like but it's getting there.

Splashed out on some kitchen base units and worktops from B & Q, I don't want to see any more flat packs for a while!!

I'm creating a 'C' shape of worktop area which will probably end up as a 'G' shape if it goes to plan. I am using 38 mm worktop instead of 28 mm as I don't want it to sag in unsupported areas.

My neighbour visited last night (qualified electrician and heating engineer) and we looked at wiring. The work has to be done to 'Part P' of the regulations. Some strip lights, lots of power points and a heater to go in.

I need to think about a short slab path to the door as I'm wearing a groove in the lawn, will be bad in winter (the back garden is usually a scale model of the Somme so I don't know why I'm worried!!).

I'm out of the country for a week from 12/5 so apologies if I don't reply.

Some piccies.

GB
Old May 26, 2010, 06:54 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,878 Posts
Plodding on!

Back from holidays, must admit to being very restless sitting on a sun bed knowing that I've got stuff to be getting on with but I've got my tan just in case we don't get a summer this year (again)!!!

Had to shuffle the base units out of the way to run twin and earth cable around the walls, this installation is apparently notifiable under 'Part P' regs in the UK, my neighbour will do the final connections and the inspection paperwork.

Where the '109' is will be my 'final assembly, rigging and balancing check' area. I originally intended it to join to the worktop under the windows but I ended up with some drawers at that end and I think it is actually better this way round. The top is not fixed yet and needs to be shortened a bit.

It's fairly chaotic in there as I am trying to get a load of gliders ready for a competition this weekend (Radioglide 2010), practising tonight, hope I don't break anything!!

Cheers

GB