|Apr 16, 2010, 12:49 PM|
Joined Aug 2006
Method for Cleaning/Maintaining Air Filters
Here is my method, I would like to see if what I have been doing for the last year has been good or bad.
1. Remove the entire filter assembly from the engine.
2. Disassemble as much as possible the filter and it's components.
3. Put all parts in a glass jar with Denatured Alcohol to remove all dirt/Air Filter oil. Shake vigorusly.
4. Remove the plastic parts and place somewhere to dry.
5. Take the filters, dump out the now filthy alcohol and lightly squeeze the filters, before putting a tiny amount of new Denatured Alcohol and shaking vigorously again.
6. Remove filters, and place somewhere to dry. This will take a long time, as the alcohol is deep inside the filters. DO NOT SQUEEZE THEM DRY. You will deform them.
Re-oiling the filters procedure
1. Place filters in small zip-closed bag and drop 50 drops of air filter Oil onto the filters.
2. zip the bag closed, and gently squish the filters until they are semi-pink with air filter oil.
3. Add more oil if required, to get a uniform pink color and leave in the bag until you are ready for the filters. (this is almost every other run for me--I love the dirt!)
Is this a good procedure? Anything I should change/note? I must have cleaned my filters well over 50 times in the last year, and they are still going strong. I have three pairs of filters that I rotate out. When I clean with the alcohol, i leave them out for a few days to air dry. Then I put them in the baggie to soak in the oil into the foam.
|Apr 16, 2010, 06:09 PM|
that sounds good. i've heard of old nitro(literally!) being a good substitute for the denatured alchol, check out the first post in the offroad car section, i beleive there is a sticky on how to clean the air filter.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Best engine cleaning method EVER (in my opinion)||engine049||Fuel Plane Talk||13||Apr 26, 2014 12:59 PM|
|For Sale||Trinity Air Filters (almost a full case)||cje0114||Cars - Accessories (FS/W)||0||Dec 19, 2009 06:02 PM|