HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:25 PM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabber865 View Post
Glitch,
This all does make sense, but if move the holder back or forward won't i have to adjust the length of the servo rod? It would seem if i moved it back i would have to shorten and vice/versa in order to have the tail blades flat on initial bind? Either that or i'm missing something???
Servo push rod is adjusted when you move the servo forward or backward and should not need additional adjustment.. When your tail is in adjustment, the blades will not be flat but angled to compensate for CCW rotation..Regards.. GlitchK.
glitchking is offline Find More Posts by glitchking
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:44 PM
Crash Addict
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2010
130 Posts
Thanks guys!!!!!
gabber865 is offline Find More Posts by gabber865
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Your initial setting should have enough tail rotor pitch to hold the tail from spinning, not flat. Worry about arm travel after you get the initial setting correct.
Well stated... Beginners don"t realize you need pitch to counteract CCW spin.. GlitchK..
Last edited by glitchking; Sep 24, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Just finished flying before sunset 80 degrees and light breeze. Had a belcrank failure on last flight. One weak point I found with Walkera products is the screws are prone to snap or wear out fast. Another is that they do not use any loctite on ther screws on metal to metal. I"ve lost a swashplate due to screw hole wear because of this. I'd advise anyone when they get this heli to locktite all metal to metal screws. I'm e-mailing RTL fastners to see if they have hardened screws for Walkera products and will post if they do.. No damage to heli this time and was able to remove snapped screw from blade holder... Regards.. GlitchK.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
oliver
TEXAS USA
Joined Mar 2009
458 Posts
wagging tail

i was flying my 180 z earlier and it has deloped a side to side tail wag....i checked everything i could think of...tried it with the stalizer on and off , no difference .could it be possible the tail gears are not meshing quite right....would this cause it . i checked all the gears...they look fine to me . maybe even a tail servo fault...
any suggestions welcome oliver
olivermc is offline Find More Posts by olivermc
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:26 PM
Alexandria, VA
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchking View Post
Servo push rod is adjusted when you move the servo forward or backward and should not need additional adjustment.. When your tail is in adjustment, the blades will not be flat but angled to compensate for CCW rotation..Regards.. GlitchK.
Thanks, also, glitchking. I was having the same issue. It needed a tail gear replacement at the forward end of the tail, anyway. Afterwards, I tried moving the tail servo fore & aft and observed what you described. It works perfectly when secured as far forward as it will go.
Double-R is offline Find More Posts by Double-R
Old Sep 27, 2010, 07:41 AM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivermc View Post
i was flying my 180 z earlier and it has deloped a side to side tail wag....i checked everything i could think of...tried it with the stalizer on and off , no difference .could it be possible the tail gears are not meshing quite right....would this cause it . i checked all the gears...they look fine to me . maybe even a tail servo fault...
any suggestions welcome oliver
I don"t have this problem with my 180z as I'm not using Walkera radio"s and I have an external gyro, but on my 180d when the voltage drops too low at the end of flight time the tail will wag from side to side. Rudder servo"s when they are about to fail or do fail develop a buzzing sound and get hot to the touch. In my 180z, I use an analog servo not a digital as they are not so prone to jam and fail if you stall the tail on grass. The digital servo is always seeking center, and the motor is always turning as the alalog servo is not. I don"t think the servo is the problem. The only other probable causes could be the receiver adjustments. For instance, if you have too much gyro gain the heli will bob fore and aft too little gain could cause side to side haunting. As for the gears,check your mesh to make sure there is no skipping. (Don't mesh too tight.) If you have had a bounce or tail strike check main gear for flat spots, and the bevil gears for damage these could also cause side to side wag because of slipping. Hope this help's... GlitchK
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
I have a similar setup and I do not use the walkera radio either I had a tail servo do that on my first setup it turned out to be the servo just did not have enough torque to overcome my brushless tail motor speed so I changed servo's.. Ray

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229031
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight time View Post
I have a similar setup and I do not use the walkera radio either I had a tail servo do that on my first setup it turned out to be the servo just did not have enough torque to overcome my brushless tail motor speed so I changed servo's.. Ray

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229031
Thinking of doing a DDVP with the C10 motor. Any pittfalls to a DDVP conversion. I know that the main gear is the weakest link in the drive system as it does not have enough "beef" to it. Will the C10 "Y" harness to main motor with no problem using an esc for it. or can it be hardwired to the main esc? Also is there any problem setting gyro and initial tail pitch to counteract main rotor rotation?.... Thanks in advavce. I also use a tail servo with more torque and speed. GlitchK
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Thinking of doing a DDVP with the C10 motor. Any pittfalls to a DDVP conversion. I know that the main gear is the weakest link in the drive system as it does not have enough "beef" to it. Will the C10 "Y" harness to main motor with no problem using an esc for it. or can it be hardwired to the main esc? Also is there any problem setting gyro and initial tail pitch to counteract main rotor rotation?.... Thanks in advavce. I also use a tail servo with more torque and speed. GlitchK
You may want to consider buying a GuruZ belt drive frame kit and moving your CB180Z components to it. It could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
Quote:
I do not have any complaints with the ddvp matter of fact I am doing a couple builds and I personally will not use a belt or shaft anymore. The tail will be slightly heavier but that is easy to correct by your electronic placement mine balances out perfect. You cannot join two brushless motors to a esc so you either tie the esc in with the main esc or like what I did was slaved the aux channel to the throttle and used that. To get rid of the junk walkera main gear I used a gear from an rc truck machined a hub to fit. Now I can use 250 trex pinions. I am not sure on the gyro I am using a HH telebee on mine.. Ray
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You may want to consider buying a GuruZ belt drive frame kit and moving your CB180Z components to it. It could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Have given it consideration but for availability of parts have stayed away from it... Thanks...GlitchK
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
I guess if there was one thing I would change if I did it over again would be to use a 3 cell battery for the tight confined area a three cell is easier to find and to try and find a 2 cell with a true high C rating is very difficult,, as the voltage goes up the amps required to get the same work done goes down. Then I would use the 2100KV C10 for the tail because it will handle the 3 cells better and the RPM would be better. Another side benifit is there is a lot of power to the main motor to be gained with DDVP because the main does not have to turn all that extra hardware and the tail prop...Ray
Last edited by Flight time; Sep 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
I do not have any complaints with the ddvp matter of fact I am doing a couple builds and I personally will not use a belt or shaft anymore. The tail will be slightly heavier but that is easy to correct by your electronic placement mine balances out perfect. You cannot join two brushless motors to a esc so you either tie the esc in with the main esc or like what I did was slaved the aux channel to the throttle and used that. To get rid of the junk walkera main gear I used a gear from an rc truck machined a hub to fit. Now I can use 250 trex pinions. I am not sure on the gyro I am using a HH telebee on mine.. Ray
Thanks for the reply... I have been looking at the gear on your thread, but what hub to join the gear to the main shaft? I pretty much figured out the two esc configuration. My gyro I use now on my 180z is a GY292 and it holds great. Got rid of the Walkera radio and the heli performs so much better. Now to get rid of the Main gear and shaft/gear driven tail... regards GlitchK.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:20 AM
Clearwater Florida
Joined Sep 2009
49 Posts
Quote:
I guess if there was one thing I would change if I did it over again would be to use a 3 cell battery for the tight confined area a three cell is easier to find and to try and find a 2 cell with a true high C rating is very difficult. Then I would use the 2100KV C10 because it will handle the 3 cells better and the RPM would be better. Ray
Thanks ...GlitchK