HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:31 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minchy View Post
Hi Guy's,

I for one have had great success with the Gaui 500X frame. I built many and been flying one ever since they were released and never actually broken a component, except prop's and a prop spinner.

Below is one of a few I've built with FPV setup's,... very clean build with the ESC's in the booms, the vid tx plugging in between frames at rear and no realestate issues. If you run a seperate rx to your controller, it fits on the frame behind the controller.
Minchy built my 500X and it has been flying perfectly since mid last year.

except when an angry magpie had other ideas.

Cost about $25 to repair.

Gaui 500X & Magpie collision (0 min 31 sec)
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:33 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
I have been using the Gopro 3 Black too as the FPV camera

works great with the Gaui Crane II Gimbal

Gaui 500X GU-INS Gopro HD 3 Black Edition 1080P 60P (0 min 49 sec)
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:05 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
I have been using the Gopro 3 Black too as the FPV camera

works great with the Gaui Crane II Gimbal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuXhNBuXvzw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Did I actually see it land itself and then take off by itself? That's one I've never seen before. What happens if you fly away about 100ft while in GPS mode, then hit the return home switch? Does it try to come back? Remember, it has to pick up all the satellites before you take off. Mine does some weird things too. Like putting it in GPS mode and taking off. When I do that it often just keeps climbing. I thought I had lost it one day when it did that. Even shutting the throttle down to half didn't stop the climb. Man, I was flipping switches all over the place. I finally got it back into hover hold and it flew normally. It's done that twice. But, I was zooming around in the front yard and I hit a tree HARD! That collision knocked everything off of the frame. My controller went flying and the impact destroyed the GPS unit.I had to get another one from China. So, it's going back to Tom today for repair. I'm not even going to try. It makes my head hurt! lol
It didn't land and take off by itself. That part was me. When I first took off it had 10 satellites. This fc is a pos! The Naza is way better. This thing just wasn't made with quality. I can't even put it into rth bc once I put it in gps hold it freaks out as shown in the video. AlleRC is a bad business. They said they wouldn't take it back and they sent me a defective unit.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:39 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
It didn't land and take off by itself. That part was me. When I first took off it had 10 satellites. This fc is a pos! The Naza is way better. This thing just wasn't made with quality. I can't even put it into rth bc once I put it in gps hold it freaks out as shown in the video. AlleRC is a bad business. They said they wouldn't take it back and they sent me a defective unit.
If I were you, I'd let someone else tune it up. I ran into the same things you did, so Witespy at Hoverthings.com built mine for me. Every function worked perfectly when I got it back. The INS is a very complicated system. But, when it's installed and working properly, I don't think you can beat it. AllerRc won't take it back because it's been used, crashed, etc. I don't think anyone will take used quad back. Get some help to figure it out... then you'll be flying with a smile on your face.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:17 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
If I were you, I'd let someone else tune it up. I ran into the same things you did, so Witespy at Hoverthings.com built mine for me. Every function worked perfectly when I got it back. The INS is a very complicated system. But, when it's installed and working properly, I don't think you can beat it. AllerRc won't take it back because it's been used, crashed, etc. I don't think anyone will take used quad back. Get some help to figure it out... then you'll be flying with a smile on your face.
I agree my INS has been flawless from day one and the other local flyers who had their 500X with INS assembled by Minchy have been perfect too.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:37 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
Who's Minchy? And can he talk on the phone and tell me what's wrong?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:03 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Who's Minchy? And can he talk on the phone and tell me what's wrong?
Minchy is located in Perth Western Australia.

Send him a PM and I'm sure he would like to help out.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:00 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
My 500X lost a blade while returning to land yesterday

Cost me $40 in parts and maybe a new OSD unit

Gaui 500X Gopro 3 Black FPV and free fall crash (5 min 35 sec)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:04 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,552 Posts
Quote:
My 500X lost a blade while returning to land yesterday

Cost me $40 in parts and maybe a new OSD unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe5NqyXCX5w
Wow! First rule in this hobby.... "Tighten your nuts!"

Really sorry to see that man. After a fall from that altitude, you're very lucky there wasn't more damage. It's odd how after it fell, it went upside down and chose to stay that way until it hit the dirt. That was a nice flight and a good approach you had going when the prop flew off.

Buzz
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:05 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
I enabled throttle hold after falling for a short time you can see the vibration strop then.

No props were lose, A blade broke off in flight. So lost 1 half of a prop.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:17 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,552 Posts
Quote:
I enabled throttle hold after falling for a short time you can see the vibration strop then.

No props were lose, A blade broke off in flight. So lost 1 half of a prop.
Thought it said prop... sorry. Same results though.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
yep and I have just fixed it

All up cost was a top plate and controller mount plate 1 x Boom, and the sponge tape to hold the controller. $40
Might be up for a new OSD module too but have to check for any solder breaks.
Just did a test hover outside and all good
Using carbon props now which I was going to fit weeks ago

I not going to rush out and buy another Crane II Gimbal as they are very weak in a crash and unless you want to tilt the camera down alot I dont think it's needed.

I have a stock Gaui plate mount I used before the crane II Gimbal and the video was jello free. Simple and robust.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,552 Posts
Quote:
yep and I have just fixed it

All up cost was a top plate and controller mount plate 1 x Boom, and the sponge tape to hold the controller. $40
Might be up for a new OSD module too but have to check for any solder breaks.
Just did a test hover outside and all good
Using carbon props now which I was going to fit weeks ago

I not going to rush out and buy another Crane II Gimbal as they are very weak in a crash and unless you want to tilt the camera down alot I dont think it's needed.

I have a stock Gaui plate mount I used before the crane II Gimbal and the video was jello free. Simple and robust.
Good to hear you got it back in the air. Be careful with those carbon props. I have a 3 blade helicopter with carbon blades. I was flying it in a bit of wind and a gust blew it into the side of my house. All 3 blades hit the corner of a cement block house and they didn't break!! I wish they had. Something had to give, so instead of breaking the blades... it stripped the main gear.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
yes best not to hit a house then
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,552 Posts
Quote:
yes best not to hit a house then

Oh, that was the wind. I never crash. AHAHAHAHAHAHA!