SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:24 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Lmao I totally agree with you buzz cheap plastic that breaks and replacement parts are expensive! Sounds like you got suckered into that $ scam. I paid $821 for my gu-ins and I paid $400 for my Naza with gps. Funny thing is my Naza with gps flies exactly how I thought my gaui gu-ins was supposed to fly. But my gu-ins I could never get to fly. But after 8 months of looking at it sit in the box I thought I'd give the gu-ins on my newest quad. Hopefully I will be able to get it to fly right. Oh and buzz I have 2 hoverthings frames the new flip Fpv and the HT-Fpv both are way better than the plastic 500x frame. I actually crashed my HT-450 very lightly last weekend and all that broke was 2 props. It wasn't really a hard crash though but it's nice to be able to not have to replace parts of the frame.
you're still having trouble with the INS? No, I saw the scam coming and went to Tom at Hoverthings.com . I haven't used a Gaui frame since I got my 300sx. They're cheezy compared to what Tom makes. I'm not saying you can't break his frames... but it takes a straight in dirt dive to move anything. I hit a tree some time ago and it didn't do anything to the frame. But it knocked everything on board loose.
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:00 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Viper View Post
Funny thing to say the 500x chassies is flimsy? Its absolutely not, its strong and very lightweight. It also looks great, not something you can say about most others. The lightweight makes for long flight times and good handling. My own 500X has done over 400 FPV flights, and its still going strong. Its been equipt with a DJI WKM and then a Naza with GPS, never the gaui INS. I tried the GU-INS when it was released but never came to turns with it, its not even close as good as the Naza. But you should not blame the frame for this.

http://youtu.be/ERzywG0zYcc
Nice video but still will never make me buy that frame again. the 500x was my 1st quad and i didn't have any luck with it or the ins. But the gaui motors and escs are still in use today there in my ht FPV frame. Here's 2 videos of my ht-FPV.
Hoverthings FPV Quadcopter Election Day flight! (watch in 720P) (4 min 32 sec)

"EPIC" Hoverthings FPV Flight Video! (must watch) (4 min 34 sec)
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:02 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
you're still having trouble with the INS? No, I saw the scam coming and went to Tom at Hoverthings.com . I haven't used a Gaui frame since I got my 300sx. They're cheezy compared to what Tom makes. I'm not saying you can't break his frames... but it takes a straight in dirt dive to move anything. I hit a tree some time ago and it didn't do anything to the frame. But it knocked everything on board loose.
Yes still having trouble lol. It's been in its box for the past 7 months. I just pulled it out to retry it again but I doubt it will go any better than before.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:20 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Yes still having trouble lol. It's been in its box for the past 7 months. I just pulled it out to retry it again but I doubt it will go any better than before.
Wow! If I were you, I'd just keep flying the Hoverthings quad!! Both of those FPV videos were outstanding. You're really getting some range on video and just plain distance. Nice flying! I like the way you skim the tree tops. I don't think you could do any better with the GU-INS!!

Buzz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,541 Posts
Quote:
Wow! If I were you, I'd just keep flying the Hoverthings quad!! Both of those FPV videos were outstanding. You're really getting some range on video and just plain distance. Nice flying! I like the way you skim the tree tops. I don't think you could do any better with the GU-INS!!

Buzz
Thanks im glad you enjoyed them. I put the gu-ins on the hoverthings flip frame and ill try it out tommorow. Hopefully it goes well but I'm kind of scared it will go crazy.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:09 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Thanks im glad you enjoyed them. I put the gu-ins on the hoverthings flip frame and ill try it out tommorow. Hopefully it goes well but I'm kind of scared it will go crazy.
They are hard to set up. But, I have faith in you. lol

Good luck and post some video if you can. I finally burned up a Gaui motor and esc. I was only about 3 ft. off the ground, so nothing else damaged.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:25 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
Joined Dec 2011
3,541 Posts
Buzz here's my video I made today showing what's wrong. Anyone want to trade a naza plus GPS for this flight controller? I can't figure it out it so dumb. No matter where the Z-gain knob is it just goes stupid.
someone please help! Gaui GU-INS problems! (5 min 2 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:49 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Buzz here's my video I made today showing what's wrong. Anyone want to trade a naza plus GPS for this flight controller? I can't figure it out it so dumb. No matter where the Z-gain knob is it just goes stupid.
http://youtu.be/FluOFphbR5k
Did I actually see it land itself and then take off by itself? That's one I've never seen before. What happens if you fly away about 100ft while in GPS mode, then hit the return home switch? Does it try to come back? Remember, it has to pick up all the satellites before you take off. Mine does some weird things too. Like putting it in GPS mode and taking off. When I do that it often just keeps climbing. I thought I had lost it one day when it did that. Even shutting the throttle down to half didn't stop the climb. Man, I was flipping switches all over the place. I finally got it back into hover hold and it flew normally. It's done that twice. But, I was zooming around in the front yard and I hit a tree HARD! That collision knocked everything off of the frame. My controller went flying and the impact destroyed the GPS unit.I had to get another one from China. So, it's going back to Tom today for repair. I'm not even going to try. It makes my head hurt! lol
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
hi guys
i've got a question
do the 330x settings work for the 500x as well?
i want to fly with a dx6i with 2600 transmiter.and i cant seem to find the settings here. the only mentioned ones are here:
http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/gaui-330x-spektrum-dx6i.asp

any ideas?
are these good to start?
shawtux is offline Find More Posts by shawtux
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:22 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is your fortune cookie for today....

I fly with the DX6i transmitter, and haven't used the settings provided in that link, since the maiden flights.

I now use Heli - not Acro - settings with increased yaw sensitivity, throttle hold, idle up, remote gyro gain, and of course....a timer.

Yes, those settings are a good place to start; however, make absolutely certain that the ↑Throttle ATV setting is at 80%. Definitely, not 100%.

The outside motor(s) must have remaining stick travel, to accelerate in a turn, and that is not possible with full throttle and 100% EPA/ATV.

I don't limit my ATV/EPA travel, for yaw, pitch, and roll. Instead I use exponential, and this works for me.

But - as I stated previously - the GAUI multirotors are slow to yaw, especially if you are familiar with flying CP helis.

I increased yaw sensitivity, around neutral, immediately following the first flight.

Also, the Acro settings don't allow for remote gyro gain, unless you use a gear/flap channel, so it's perfectly OK to use an onboard gain while you familiarize yourself with the flight characteristics of the quad.

Happy flying....
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Don't eat your words....makes head hurt.

You answered your own bull question: static deformation is incorporated to protect your GPS unit, and other onboard systems, in a crash.

Quote:
With greatest respect.... this sounds like a line of bull* If that is the case, why not make the frames out of balsa. I wouldn't fly anything that was designed to break...static deformation or not. That IS a waste of money.
Quote:
I was zooming around in the front yard and I hit a tree HARD! That collision knocked everything off of the frame. My controller went flying and the impact destroyed the GPS unit.I had to get another one from China. So, it's going back to Tom today for repair. I'm not even going to try. It makes my head hurt!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
I fly with the DX6i transmitter, and haven't used the settings provided in that link, since the maiden flights.

I now use Heli - not Acro - settings with increased yaw sensitivity, throttle hold, idle up, remote gyro gain, and of course....a timer.

Yes, those settings are a good place to start; however, make absolutely certain that the ↑Throttle ATV setting is at 80%. Definitely, not 100%.

The outside motor(s) must have remaining stick travel, to accelerate in a turn, and that is not possible with full throttle and 100% EPA/ATV.

I don't limit my ATV/EPA travel, for yaw, pitch, and roll. Instead I use exponential, and this works for me.

But - as I stated previously - the GAUI multirotors are slow to yaw, especially if you are familiar with flying CP helis.

I increased yaw sensitivity, around neutral, immediately following the first flight.

Also, the Acro settings don't allow for remote gyro gain, unless you use a gear/flap channel, so it's perfectly OK to use an onboard gain while you familiarize yourself with the flight characteristics of the quad.

Happy flying....
Thanks man!
could i have your dx6i settings just in case? i would like to try more than one config on test flight.
i only have sim flight trainin on quad (or heli for that matter) hehehe

i believe i will have lots of (hopefuly) small crashes at the beggining D:
shawtux is offline Find More Posts by shawtux
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:50 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Joined Aug 2002
11,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
You answered your own bull question: static deformation is incorporated to protect your GPS unit, and other onboard systems, in a crash.
Hey! I don't need this! Your static deformation is YOUR opinion. So, build your quads out of balsa wood. There's your static deformation. If the frame explodes in static deformation, are you trying to say that this will protect everything on board?
That's pretty funny. Static deformation would not have saved my GPS unit since it was mounted on top. There are several types of static deformation. I'm sure you know them all. I guess this is why people build balsa wood airplanes. If they crash, it destroys the plane, but wow... you saved your receiver!!! The actual results of static deformation will NOT save your equipment if you do a really hard figure 9. But, you probably never crash either, right?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
No tickee .... no laundry.

I like fortune cookie!

MMMMmmmm

What's my fortune for today!?

No Ticky (0 min 23 sec)
Last edited by ssautter; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawtux View Post
Thanks man!
could i have your dx6i settings just in case? i would like to try more than one config on test flight.
i only have sim flight trainin on quad (or heli for that matter) hehehe

i believe i will have lots of (hopefuly) small crashes at the beggining D:
PM me for settings, and I'll see what I can do.

Do you have real-world training with co-axial helis?