SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
Thx, I am not using the ring. I prefer the cool look.
superek4 is offline Find More Posts by superek4
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superek4 View Post
Thx, I am not using the ring. I prefer the cool look.
haha yeah... its a $14 mistake of mine
Huddo is offline Find More Posts by Huddo
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2002
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Thanks for the help, tanasit. No, the throttle channel is not reversed. If I put the orange wire in the throttle channel, I get no throttle at all. The red wire in the throttle channel works... but it is like an off and on switch. If I move the throttle even one notch it goes to half throttle on all 4 motors. I do know about keeping things level. I've been flying this Gaui for over a year, and then I changed frames. Since then, it hasn't flown at all. But, I haven't tried using a servo. I'll try that and see what happens.

Buzz
As per the Gaui 330X manual page 12, if you are using the Futaba radio, then you MUST set the throttle channel to REVERSE!!!
The others stay at NORMAL.
I am using the Spektrum radio which is similar to JR, so I have to set throttle to NORMAL and the rest are REV.
Like I said, use the ORANGE one for throttle.
Hope this is the culprit...
tanasit is online now Find More Posts by tanasit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
Pic of my current 330x upgraded to the 500x with camera frame and protective frame.
compared to the 330x how do you like it? have you flown any other quads to compare it with? Looks good.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit View Post
As per the Gaui 330X manual page 12, if you are using the Futaba radio, then you MUST set the throttle channel to REVERSE!!!
The others stay at NORMAL.
I am using the Spektrum radio which is similar to JR, so I have to set throttle to NORMAL and the rest are REV.
Like I said, use the ORANGE one for throttle.
Hope this is the culprit...
Hey, tanasit....

I never noticed that in the manual. The only switch that is reversed on my Tx is ... Elevator. All others are at normal. But, I plugged it into a freshly charged new 7.4v battery pack. I swapped the red and orange wires.... and the throttle now works normally. But, when I give it left or right rudder...the Gaui goes forward and back. There's something else seriously wrong with my wiring. I guess I could try reversing the throttle... but it seems like it would work backwards...ie, wide open position would be "off" and closed position would be wide open. But, there's another clue too.
On the front of the Tx ... someone at Gaui drew small "up" arrows beneath the elevator reversing swith and the throttle switch. I'm getting desperate, so I'll try almost anything at this point. Hang on a sec....

A lot better!!! My throttle is still too sensitive, but it acts as if it wants to follow the right stick commands now. I recalibrated and re set the 344 to 50%. It still flips.. but I may be able to play with the gyro some and try to work that out now.

I can't thank you enough for the time spent looking for my errors and pointing them out. I couldn't see the forest for the trees! I'm really closing in on it now. I'll let you know the outcome configured this way. Thanks again!!!

Buzz
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2002
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hey, tanasit....

I never noticed that in the manual. The only switch that is reversed on my Tx is ... Elevator. All others are at normal. But, I plugged it into a freshly charged new 7.4v battery pack. I swapped the red and orange wires.... and the throttle now works normally. But, when I give it left or right rudder...the Gaui goes forward and back. There's something else seriously wrong with my wiring. I guess I could try reversing the throttle... but it seems like it would work backwards...ie, wide open position would be "off" and closed position would be wide open. But, there's another clue too.
On the front of the Tx ... someone at Gaui drew small "up" arrows beneath the elevator reversing swith and the throttle switch. I'm getting desperate, so I'll try almost anything at this point. Hang on a sec....

A lot better!!! My throttle is still too sensitive, but it acts as if it wants to follow the right stick commands now. I recalibrated and re set the 344 to 50%. It still flips.. but I may be able to play with the gyro some and try to work that out now.

I can't thank you enough for the time spent looking for my errors and pointing them out. I couldn't see the forest for the trees! I'm really closing in on it now. I'll let you know the outcome configured this way. Thanks again!!!

Buzz
Buzz,

First, you have to set the throttle to REV and the rest to NOR, then you can fool around with the 344. When you said, "My throttle is still too sensitive, but it acts as if it wants to follow the right stick commands now." , this is normal because the 330 directional controls are done by "changing the speed" of each motor in proper manner, so when you move any control beside the throttle, of course the only change you will see is the speed of the motor(s) that changes. This - in a way - means that the right stick control the motors by way of throttling, NOT throttle, THROTTLE as you think.

Unlike the airplane with control surfaces (rudder, aileron, flap and such), if you move the stick (that is not throttle) you will see the surface movements, unless you have the mixing function enable with throttle involved.

You have to stop thinking that the right stick or rudder movement is the act of the throttle stick. Otherwise, you will believe that the actual throttle is not working properly.

The goal is near...

PS. when you hover, does the LED on the 344 glows green?
tanasit is online now Find More Posts by tanasit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:33 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit View Post
Buzz,

First, you have to set the throttle to REV and the rest to NOR, then you can fool around with the 344. When you said, "My throttle is still too sensitive, but it acts as if it wants to follow the right stick commands now." , this is normal because the 330 directional controls are done by "changing the speed" of each motor in proper manner, so when you move any control beside the throttle, of course the only change you will see is the speed of the motor(s) that changes. This - in a way - means that the right stick control the motors by way of throttling, NOT throttle, THROTTLE as you think.

Unlike the airplane with control surfaces (rudder, aileron, flap and such), if you move the stick (that is not throttle) you will see the surface movements, unless you have the mixing function enable with throttle involved.

You have to stop thinking that the right stick or rudder movement is the act of the throttle stick. Otherwise, you will believe that the actual throttle is not working properly.

The goal is near...

PS. when you hover, does the LED on the 344 glows green?
Hi .... I do have everything set the way you mention... and, believe me I know how the Gaui works. I've been flying this one for quite a while. Here's what I've got so far... Everything is hooked up to the receiver correctly and the throttle works well... but is more sensitive than I remember. The problem I am having now is stabilizing the quad so I can do something but flip over every time I try to take off.

Oh, also.... no, my light stays orange.... or green... depending upon the angle that you look at it from. The light on the 344 stays green. But it's such a hard start, the Gaui is off the ground ready to crash as soon as I give it throttle. This last change did help some... but it's still way too sensitive. I am totally baffled.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Motor and ESC combos - what's the difference between the following?

Scorpion 2212/960kv, with an 18A ESC
Scorpion 2208/1050kv with a 10A ESC

The first set is what is coming with the 500x, and the second set is the stock on the 330x-s.

I've got an upgraded 330x-s upgraded to a 500x frame, and am wondering the difference of a possible upgrade to the 500x version of the ESC and Motor.
Huddo is offline Find More Posts by Huddo
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmetonat View Post
Dowayne, do not change the ESC settings. They are shipped correctly from the factory. If you did change them, see the last page of the manual to go through the procedure to re-set them to factory defaults (1 long, 2 short beeps), one by one, connected directly to the output of a receiver.
Thanks alot will do so.
zues007 is offline Find More Posts by zues007
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Hi guys
I found this site which seems to sell something similar to the drift 170 .what do guys think of it as its cheap and free shipping. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterpr...%20full%20view
zues007 is offline Find More Posts by zues007
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2002
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hi .... I do have everything set the way you mention... and, believe me I know how the Gaui works. I've been flying this one for quite a while. Here's what I've got so far... Everything is hooked up to the receiver correctly and the throttle works well... but is more sensitive than I remember. The problem I am having now is stabilizing the quad so I can do something but flip over every time I try to take off.

Oh, also.... no, my light stays orange.... or green... depending upon the angle that you look at it from. The light on the 344 stays green. But it's such a hard start, the Gaui is off the ground ready to crash as soon as I give it throttle. This last change did help some... but it's still way too sensitive. I am totally baffled.
Buzz,

At this point I think it has to do with the ESC calibration. You may want to try the single step as described in the manual and make sure that you lay the 330 flat on the ground before you plug in the battery and do not move it until all the sound is gone. If failed, you can try the multi-step calibration for "EACH" ESC suggested by a member somewhere here.
tanasit is online now Find More Posts by tanasit
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:21 PM
RC Flying UK's Avatar
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
The light on the 344 stays green. But it's such a hard start, the Gaui is off the ground ready to crash as soon as I give it throttle. This last change did help some... but it's still way too sensitive. I am totally baffled.
The 344 light should be red, it's almost unflyable when it's green. I have mine so I flip a switch to change from red to green and sometimes it flies like a crazy thing, all over the place, because I accidentallly flipped the switch or didn't check the switch position before take-off. 344 Red light = Good, Green light = bad. Crazy, I know.
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maljonic View Post
The 344 light should be red, it's almost unflyable when it's green. I have mine so I flip a switch to change from red to green and sometimes it flies like a crazy thing, all over the place, because I accidentallly flipped the switch or didn't check the switch position before take-off. 344 Red light = Good, Green light = bad. Crazy, I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit View Post
Buzz,

At this point I think it has to do with the ESC calibration. You may want to try the single step as described in the manual and make sure that you lay the 330 flat on the ground before you plug in the battery and do not move it until all the sound is gone. If failed, you can try the multi-step calibration for "EACH" ESC suggested by a member somewhere here.
Thanks for the tips.... I don't know why I typed "green". The 344 light is constant red light and receiver is a constant green light. But, I can't seem to adjust the gain on the 344 to stabilize it. I'm almost certain that I have mixed up some of my wiring. I've set and reset and set again, all of the esc's.... and it helps... but doesn't fix the problem. I can give it right or left rudder and it wants to go forward or back. My brain has finally shorted out so I have some help nearby. There sure are some nice people in this thread.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:11 AM
Registered User
fajar's Avatar
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Thanks for the tips.... I don't know why I typed "green". The 344 light is constant red light and receiver is a constant green light. But, I can't seem to adjust the gain on the 344 to stabilize it. I'm almost certain that I have mixed up some of my wiring. I've set and reset and set again, all of the esc's.... and it helps... but doesn't fix the problem. I can give it right or left rudder and it wants to go forward or back. My brain has finally shorted out so I have some help nearby. There sure are some nice people in this thread.
It's also worthwhile to check props direction.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:21 AM
RC Flying UK's Avatar
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
909 Posts
I went to a wedding in the countryside last weekend and made this little video of the surroundings and some of the guests arriving, between rain storms and in windy conditions:
Gaui 330X Quadcopter Yorkshire Dales Wedding (3 min 28 sec)
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GAUI - Quad-copter kapteinkuk Multirotor Talk 5 Apr 14, 2010 11:33 PM
Discussion New Gaui 200 SE V1 and DX6i owner fiercebadger Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 0 Feb 25, 2010 03:59 PM
Wanted Want to Trade: New Gaui 200 canopy for old Gaui 200 canopy Splix Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jun 28, 2008 02:07 PM
Quad-winged pager flyer snakeX2 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 33 Jan 29, 2005 03:47 PM