SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 04, 2010, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2006
241 Posts
Testing Update:

We have been testing 2 different machines with various loads and throttle settings. We are unable to duplicate any failure yet. We will be doing two 28 minute back-to-back flights today with an ambient temp >100F. Here are our findings so far:

Test 1: Indoors, Hyperion generation 1 packs, 100% throttle curve.

Stock hover (no payload) both 2s and 3s: 8 amps

Over gross hover with payload (478g) on 3s (generation 1 3s2200 Hyperion pack @ 180g): 16 amps with spiking to 28 amps in hard manuevering.

Over gross hover with payload (478g) on 2s: 16 amps with spiking up to 18 amps with hard manuevering.

Test 2: Reposted and thanks to AZ CHopper Cam for the help!

RTF weight: 1200 grams (100gr over published max weight)
3s8600 (two 3s4300 in parallel)
Ambient temp: 88f
Flight duration: 24 minutes
Watts average: 280
Amps average: 25

I did two 24 minute flights back to back. The quad flew great. No noticeable difference in performance from the beginning of the first flight to the end of the second.

Temps after end of second flight:

Motors: 105f
ESC: 118f

Today we are testing alternative motors followed by various esc tests in 100F+ temps and will again report our findings.

As a mesaure of good faith Empire will offer some replacement escs to our dealer's customers, to see if you too can contribute to this investigation. Your selling dealer is always your first point of contact, but in this case I am willing to work with both the end user and our US/Canadian authorized Gaui dealers at the same time. If you have a failed esc, please contact me here and let's work together for a solution.

Please note that we are reccommending that you follow Gaui's reccommendation of the 75% throttle setting that can be seen here: Gaui Quad Page

More later!

Jack
Empire Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Empire Hobby
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:04 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Jack - Thanks for this, seems you are doing a good job for everyone here. If I may ask, who are the authorized Canadian dealers?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2006
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Jack - Thanks for this, seems you are doing a good job for everyone here. If I may ask, who are the authorized Canadian dealers?
Anyone who buys through the correct distribution channels. This is important because it is the dealers and distributors that are tasked with customer service, it is our job. Simply PM me your specific situation and we will do everything we can to help you. I am assuming you have a failed esc?

Jack
Empire Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Empire Hobby
Last edited by Empire Hobby; Jun 04, 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: explanation..
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:39 PM
flitelab's Avatar
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Jack - No I've still not purchased a 330x, been looking at getting one but just waiting a but yet to see how the reviews go. The ESC issue has me a bit concerned right now.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:11 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Hobby View Post
Testing Update:

We have been testing 2 different machines with various loads and throttle settings. We are unable to duplicate any failure yet. We will be doing two 28 minute back-to-back flights today with an ambient temp >100F. Here are our findings so far:

Test 1: Indoors, Hyperion generation 1 packs, 100% throttle curve.

Stock hover (no payload) both 2s and 3s: 8 amps

Over gross hover with payload (478g) on 3s (generation 1 3s2200 Hyperion pack @ 180g): 16 amps with spiking to 28 amps in hard manuevering.

Over gross hover with payload (478g) on 2s: 16 amps with spiking up to 18 amps with hard manuevering.

Test 2: Reposted and thanks to AZ CHopper Cam for the help!

RTF weight: 1200 grams (100gr over published max weight)
3s8600 (two 3s4300 in parallel)
Ambient temp: 88f
Flight duration: 24 minutes
Watts average: 280
Amps average: 25

I did two 24 minute flights back to back. The quad flew great. No noticeable difference in performance from the beginning of the first flight to the end of the second.

Temps after end of second flight:

Motors: 105f
ESC: 118f

Today we are testing alternative motors followed by various esc tests in 100F+ temps and will again report our findings.

As a mesaure of good faith Empire will offer some replacement escs to our dealer's customers, to see if you too can contribute to this investigation. Your selling dealer is always your first point of contact, but in this case I am willing to work with both the end user and our US/Canadian authorized Gaui dealers at the same time. If you have a failed esc, please contact me here and let's work together for a solution.

Please note that we are reccommending that you follow Gaui's reccommendation of the 75% throttle setting that can be seen here: Gaui Quad Page

More later!

Jack
Hi Jack,

I had a ESC fail on me today, was outside on the driveway, pack# 3 Outrage XP35 2200mah 3S quad setup in the stock form.

just hovering around, was in forward flight, went to full throttle, back to just about half throttle, quad started to sink, full throttle - Puff esc went up in smoke.

And yes the ESC were synced as per the amendment from Gaui

Have you done or are you going to be doing any testing that involved - going from hovering, to full throttle, or rapid change in throttle position.
if you do I believe you will see this is when the esc fail.

Hovering around in a controlled environment in the hands of an experienced pilot is one thing, give the quad to a newbie who's a throttle jockey - I bet anything the esc will go up in smoke.


Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:13 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
On a positive note - My Aero spy kit arrived today. and my order from Hobby King was shipped out today, So hopefully I should have this puppy back in the air by next weekend.

FCA

I guess NOT - Just found this on HK website
"Air transport delay.
Please be aware that the Hong Kong/China Airports have placed an increased focus on parcel security. This has delayed many orders for up to 7 days.
If you find that your order is marked as shipped but does not have a tracking number, or the tracking number isnt working, please do not be alarmed. Over the coming days the tracking numbers will be registered as the Airport filters through the backlog of parcels.
To help reduce the backlog, we're shipping out alot of orders via alternative express methods and via different countries. This is helping to reduce a possible 2-3 week backlog to around 1 week only. We are doing this at a considerable cost to us and hope you can appreciate the extra effort we're taking to avoid these delays which are out of our control.
The current delay is expected for another 7 days and we will update this message early next week or as soon as there is any change the the current status."
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Last edited by FLAME747; Jun 04, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2006
241 Posts
We did that yesterday with the very agressive manuevering and stick banging on the indoor test, all while restraining the payloaded machine (= even more load). We were only able to spike to 28 amps, but these were older packs. We are working with G3s now and various motor/esc combos to see if we can pin something down. We will continue to test in as many different scenerios that we can. We don't want to jump to conclusions.

Jack
Empire Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Empire Hobby
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:40 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Hobby View Post
We did that yesterday with the very agressive manuevering and stick banging on the indoor test, all while restraining the payloaded machine (= even more load). We were only able to spike to 28 amps, but these were older packs. We are working with G3s now and various motor/esc combos to see if we can pin something down. We will continue to test in as many different scenerios that we can. We don't want to jump to conclusions.

Jack
Thank Jack,

We look forward to you guys finding the root cause of this issue,
Personally I would like to hear what motor/esc combos work the best for this unit.

I have already ordered replacement ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2A_BEC)___BESC

I have not yet ordered replacement motors, any recommendation will be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:21 PM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
For those using Spektrum gear, what Rx are you using on the 330X?
I'm using an AR6250 Spektrum receiver with my DX6i. Haven't done any distance tests or anything but it seems to be working quite well.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
New tests today.

two flights, each 26 minutes in duration. Data below:

RTF weight: 1200 grams (100gr over published max weight)
3s8600 (two 3s4300 in parallel)
Ambient temp: 100f
Flight duration: 26 minutes
Amps average: 27

The two flights were flights back to back.

Temps 13 minutes into the flight (1/2 duration):

Motors: 113f
ESC: 120f

Temps at 26 minutes (end of flight):

Motors: 115f
ESC: 122f

So it seems the motors and ESCs attain their operating temperature by mid-flight. Any duration past that does not cause significant increase in motor or ESC temps.

I believe my flights were near a worst case scenario. Hot ambient temp and a heavy aircraft.

I'll continue to do these tests until either I get a failure or I get bored trying.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:44 PM
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,963 Posts
Just for interest how high are you there Choppercam? AMSL

Bumble Bee Quad (0 min 28 sec)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:44 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
New tests today.

two flights, each 26 minutes in duration. Data below:

RTF weight: 1200 grams (100gr over published max weight)
3s8600 (two 3s4300 in parallel)
Ambient temp: 100f
Flight duration: 26 minutes
Amps average: 27

The two flights were flights back to back.

Temps 13 minutes into the flight (1/2 duration):

Motors: 113f
ESC: 120f

Temps at 26 minutes (end of flight):

Motors: 115f
ESC: 122f

So it seems the motors and ESCs attain their operating temperature by mid-flight. Any duration past that does not cause significant increase in motor or ESC temps.

I believe my flights were near a worst case scenario. Hot ambient temp and a heavy aircraft.

I'll continue to do these tests until either I get a failure or I get bored trying.
I bet you get bored trying.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:54 PM
by Alary Design
Photoship One's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Just for interest how high are you there Choppercam?
1300' AMSL

Calculated density altitude during the test flights was 2778' AMSL
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:38 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Ok - Who has the Inifinity hobby Aero spy kit - received mines today, First of all had to remove the bottom plate as per the instruction, could not install it like others have done, because this one had 2 tabs on the inside, also had to reposition 2 of the support bars.

Now the camera mount can't be installed onto the lower frame, because the screws are 2 short, been with it for the past 2 hours

OH well - Just needed to vent

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:46 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
RTF weight: 1200 grams (100gr over published max weight)
3s8600 (two 3s4300 in parallel)
Ambient temp: 100f
Flight duration: 26 minutes
Amps average: 27
I am thinking about running 2 2200mah pack, but can't figure out how to secure the packs.

Do you mind posting some pics, on how you secured both packs.

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GAUI - Quad-copter kapteinkuk Multirotor Talk 5 Apr 14, 2010 11:33 PM
Discussion New Gaui 200 SE V1 and DX6i owner fiercebadger Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 0 Feb 25, 2010 03:59 PM
Wanted Want to Trade: New Gaui 200 canopy for old Gaui 200 canopy Splix Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jun 28, 2008 02:07 PM
Quad-winged pager flyer snakeX2 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 33 Jan 29, 2005 03:47 PM