HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:12 AM
Multicopter AP centric
Canada, AB
Joined Jan 2011
304 Posts
Dark Flight

...and here is a dark flight in a gym with the leds.

Rebuild DarkFlight (1 min 0 sec)

Now that I have it working again, I can turn my attention back to the camera mount and the X8 build.
mbsteed is offline Find More Posts by mbsteed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:41 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Fpv

Sonly bloggie for the recording and FPV video
Gaui FPV with sony bloggie (1 min 49 sec)

My Specs
Standard Gaui.
Lawmate 2.4ghz TX
Trimersion goggles
Sony Bloggie with wide angle lens.

The video was recorded in 60fps and is playing back in 30fps, it is also stabilised as it a bit shaky.
raptnz is offline Find More Posts by raptnz
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:26 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
You get my vote for most improved quad pilot and some of the best FPV video. That was a nice flight.

The one thing I don't like about SmoothCam, either in FCP or iMovie is that although it doesn't show up that bad in the online version, you can almost always see the the shudder and it often soften the image depending on how much it had to scale up. That doesn't really have anything to do with your flying.

I had my 330X flying very well, I tried adding more wieght and using 11.1v battery and it started twitching, even after going back to the 7.4V battery its not flying as well now. I mentioned this in an earlier post but I'm not feeling the love...

Anyway, I can't imagine trying to fly FPV unless the quad is really stable.

Really nice work.
Thanks! I wish I could get in some more practice but it seems the weather and work have other plans, but thanks I appreciate the vote of confidence

I agree on the iMovie stabilization, definitely softens it, especially on the really wobbly footage. The other side effect is the wavy appearance in the video, that always bugs me too. However, I would like to try Final Cut as I think it's stabilization is far superior to iMovie.

I was having a lot of twitches to the left, I began to suspect temperature but I also plugged my esc's one by one into the throttle on the receiver to set the end points and that solved some takeoff tip over problems I was having. So maybe a combination of temperature acclimation and esc calibration fixed my twitchy GU344? Could that help yours?

You hit the nail on the head, have to have a stable quad for FPV!

Thanks again!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:29 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptnz View Post
Sonly bloggie for the recording and FPV video
http://vimeo.com/21865487

My Specs
Standard Gaui.
Lawmate 2.4ghz TX
Trimersion goggles
Sony Bloggie with wide angle lens.

The video was recorded in 60fps and is playing back in 30fps, it is also stabilised as it a bit shaky.
Nice video, great location as well! What did you use to do the video stabilization?
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:30 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsteed View Post
...and here is a dark flight in a gym with the leds.

http://vimeo.com/21865770

Now that I have it working again, I can turn my attention back to the camera mount and the X8 build.
Pretty colors!!! Looks nice and smooth as well.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:39 AM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,657 Posts
RAPTNZ
Great video
well done

GUY
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:09 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Nice video, great location as well! What did you use to do the video stabilization?
Thanks, I am using Sony vegas 10. Stabalise media option then hand held slow moving footage. I am still playing around with different settings as that setting is no good for fast moving footage.

Your video was really smooth, I think I need to work on getting my gaui smoother so I dont have to do as much editing. Do you find your Bloggie produces a slightly washed out looking video? I bumped up the contrast and saturation in mine as well as a bit of sharpening.

The location is Sumner in Christchurch, usually the beach if full of people but after the earthquake there is allot of sewage going in to the sea untreated so the beach is empty. When I get a bit more confident I will fly around some of the damaged buildings in the cbd.
raptnz is offline Find More Posts by raptnz
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:06 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Wavre
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Battery type effect on gyro ?

Hi,

I have a 330X since a couple of months, first entry into R/C and quad world for me.
I was flying the other day with a friend of mine who built his own triwiicopter. When holding his triwiicopter by hand and moving it around a bit, I could really feel how strong his gyro is trying to correct his tricopter horizontal position. Doing the same with my 330X.... well, it didn't felt like the gyro was very strong, whatever the gyro gain we were putting (thru travel adjust on my tx).

I'm flying with 2S2200 batteries (30C - Roxxy) and he was wondering if this type of battery would not result in the quad being a little underpowered, and if flying with a higher capacity battery would positively effect the gyro.

Any opinion on this ? Does battery type affect gyro performance ?
moombe is offline Find More Posts by moombe
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:40 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,025 Posts
2S if you are runnign with payload and 3S with payload is generally what is suggested.
What do you have the gain set too?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
2S if you are runnign with payload and 3S with payload is generally what is suggested.
What do you have the gain set too?
Any range between 30 and 65% did not show up any significant changes in the "force" you feel when holding the 330X by the landing gear and shifting it away from its horizontal state.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:27 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombe View Post
Any range between 30 and 65% did not show up any significant changes in the "force" you feel when holding the 330X by the landing gear and shifting it away from its horizontal state.
Was his tricopter using accelerometers as well for auto leveling? That may had made a difference as well.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Was his tricopter using accelerometers as well for auto leveling? That may had made a difference as well.
Yes, definitely he had accelerometers as well. I wonder if this adds such a difference for leveling, as I check a few movies from Warthox who is not using accelerometers on his tri & quad (also multiwiicopters) and they seems very much responsive as well. Maybe it's just the flight controler of the GAUI which is not as efficient - as I see a lot of people trying to combine it with FY20 or replacing even with FY90.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:48 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,025 Posts
Well it depends if you want auto level or not. For wild flying manouvers you wouldn't but to make for a more stable camera platform you might.
To do proper auto leveling they are required. That is why the hover mode of the GU344 doesn't work well as it has none.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:17 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,190 Posts
The 2S, 3S LiPo difference shouldn't be affecting the 'yaw' strength. If a quad hovers at, say 60W, then it'll hover at 60W no matter how many LiPo cells are installed. The difference is to produce 60W on a 3S/12.4v battery you only need to draw 4.8A, (30W/12.4v). To produce 60W on a 2S/8.4v battery you need 7.1A current draw. Same wattage output, but different current draws. Now...what changes is a larger/heavier battery will require more power to hover, but not much of a difference.

What you're likely seeing is a difference in components, amount of gain, better gyros/accelerometers, frame design, etc. My 330X with the Vic20 extended frame is spot on with yaw control and pretty darn stable. Every quad will be different based on the pilots preference for control/reaction.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
raptnz, that is very nice footage.

I'm reasonably new to all of this, so much so that I'm still making a lot of rookie mistakes. What happens when you plug in the power on the quad with the throttle half way up on the receiver? When I did that all the ESC's beeped quickly and when realized what I had done I lowered the throttle and then unplugged the power and plugged it back in again. Did I inadvertently reset the ESC's?

After that while flying I was up about 50ft and coming down in a slow vertical decent, the quad started rocking side to side, it was controllable but when I added throttle to slow my descent, nothing happened. I was able to do this twice more, I have never had that sort of problem before.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck