HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:41 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Discussion
JHH F-20 Tigershark

I didn't realize it but at one time Jet Hangar Hobbies produced a stunning super scale F-20. Larry Wolfe sure can build! One can only imagine how great this would fly using a modern 90mm fan system. Anyone know if they still have the molds? Where are you Chris....
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:55 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
i believe they do.......
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Those must have been some pretty thin retracts considering the wing thickness was also scale. CN, you got the JHH connection, maybe this could be your next award winning E-conversion project....seriously!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
trust me...i LOVE F-20's. if i had the chance, it would be at the top of my list. ill have to talk to larry about popping one out for me!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:20 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
to be quite honest, id trhickin the wing up enough to fit atleast 602's in it. thats still pretty think. 3/4". or tam gear. pretty low profile, and can handle a good 10 lbs.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:35 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,281 Posts
the wing is barly .300 " thick......the retracts were custom made from Ti the wing were solid balsa carved to shape with Leading and trailing edge flaps. a thicker wing would be better for us ...but it was 100% scale .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:47 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,281 Posts
in the pics thats a much younger Larry Wolfe ,Burt Ayres ,and i belive that is Larry wife Cindy block from view.i think he built 2 or 3 of these for Northrop for testing
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:34 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
That is sweet!!!! I wished he still made them nowadays....especially with all those details,slats,speed brakes etc.....
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:27 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,281 Posts
the newer radios would have made it easier to fly . it needed take off and landing with the LE & TE flaps ...plus the trim changed ...that could all be mixed in these days.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,337 Posts
With a wing that thin, this thing would be a ROCKET on todays power systems. I want one!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:51 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,515 Posts
No doubt a sweet ride! AT the moment, I'm not sure where the molds are. They may have been returned in the last shipment, but I don't know.

I'd love to build one of these...I imagine it would probably be pretty smokin on the top end.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:04 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
a certain 110mm would probably be PERFECT for this sucker!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,670 Posts
Larry has always been the Master builder
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:24 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
It kills me to know that folks like JHH have all of these cool molds that they poured their heart and cash into and can't make them because of the ARF invasion. I had a lengthy conversation with a former hobby shop ower the other day and he told me that ARFs put him out of business. He made his money on bolts, covering, hinges etc etc that is just and that is not needed anymore like it was. JHH has this f-20, the super badasss A-4, a Dauntless, and who knows what else that simply can't be made profitably for us to purchase. There are what, 20ish truly hardcore KIT BUILDING edf guys? Just not enough to support the costs. It sucks that this is the way things are going. I used to love going to contests and flyins to see what other guys were BUIDLING. Even pattern meets had craftmanship. Sure everybody flew "the" plane for the season, but you never saw the same paintjob twice. Flyins were places of awe, where you go to go outside your area to fly and check out other's stuff. Now, who has the awesome new orange and white Yak, vs. the red/white/blue Yak? BORING!!
Luckily, I think that edfs still have some of that since basically edfs are something that have just come into the norm, read affordable and reliable, in the last 7-8 years. You can see the ARFs coming and the rapidly expanding power plant selection slowly stifiling that individualism that got us here. I shouldn't complain since EDFs are awesome and the more R&D that happens, the better and cheaper things will get, but I will miss that homebuilt wood F-104 or whatever catches your eye on the flight line.
I look at it like this, you have two black chopped top '32 Fords, one 'glass one STEEL. You know how much work that guy put into cutting, welding and the HOURS AND HOURS of block sanding to get that 3 mile deep black paint job. The guy with the 'glass body opened up the box, hit it with some primer/paint and came out with an excellent product that most people could not tell the difference. Would I drive the plastic one? hell yeah, but i would go shake the hand of the old guy sitting in the lawnchair behind the steel one with the busted knuckles and sense of accomplishment in his smile. Would I drive it, nooooo, i would die if I dinged that black paint!
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
every time i fly my sabre.....its like that. about a year to BUILD....lots of scale mods....and a good 3 months just on alum covering. not to mention the glass/body work ect ect. lots of time. ive got something you wont see 2 of at a event its definately fun to have stuff like that. cookie cutter stuff is atractive cause people dont ahve time to build...i have arf's...shoot...who dosnt. i still take satisfaction in building even though people like chris and larry just put me to shame!