ED3 is offline Find More Posts by ED3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Xheli has them for $25 , free shipping

Xheli has these in stock for $24.95 w/ free shipping. If you use the "RCHELI" code on checkout knocks off another 5%, total would be $23.70 delivered:

http://www.xheli.com/9098-heli-red.html

http://www.xheli.com/9098-heli-orange.html
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Double Horse 9098 Transmitter/Controller Problem

Hi Everyone!
In July of 2010 my son (8) purchased an orange 9098 from XHELI. I was amazed how stable it flew & He mastered it in no time at all. Aside from needing a balance bar replaced, it has been excellent.

However, a couple of days ago he got it out, plugged in the heli for a charge and the transmitter light went out. We tested/replaced transmitter batteries and gave it another shot. This time the indicator sort of 'glowed' instead of lighting and eventually went out. The heli would twitch a bit when the controls were moved, but that was about all.

When we removed the batteries to see if a bad one slipped by our tests, we found the batteries to be very warm/hot. Installed all new batteries...same thing, hot enough they were uncomfortable to hold in your hand. It would appear that some thing in the transmitter is shorted.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a fix?
I have not found a replacement transmitter in the market but did find them for the Syma S107...any luck in them being swappable?

apologies if this is in the wrong forum/thread...it is the only 9098 discussion I found...
AlexsDad is offline Find More Posts by AlexsDad
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:34 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsDad View Post
Hi Everyone!
In July of 2010 my son (8) purchased an orange 9098 from XHELI. I was amazed how stable it flew & He mastered it in no time at all. Aside from needing a balance bar replaced, it has been excellent.

However, a couple of days ago he got it out, plugged in the heli for a charge and the transmitter light went out. We tested/replaced transmitter batteries and gave it another shot. This time the indicator sort of 'glowed' instead of lighting and eventually went out. The heli would twitch a bit when the controls were moved, but that was about all.

When we removed the batteries to see if a bad one slipped by our tests, we found the batteries to be very warm/hot. Installed all new batteries...same thing, hot enough they were uncomfortable to hold in your hand. It would appear that some thing in the transmitter is shorted.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a fix?
I have not found a replacement transmitter in the market but did find them for the Syma S107...any luck in them being swappable?

apologies if this is in the wrong forum/thread...it is the only 9098 discussion I found...
Yes there is probably a short in there somewhere, take it apart and take a look examine all the wires that they are not accidentally touching something they are not suppose to and that there is insulation where needed.

I don't have that heli but i doubt any other tx will work with it other than double horse one for that particular model. And btw i am surprised this heli hasn't gotten more buzz since its suppose to be a good solid precise flyer but than again there probably is not much difference over syma s107 and most everyone follows crowds.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Dec 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
Yes there is probably a short in there somewhere, take it apart and take a look examine all the wires that they are not accidentally touching something they are not suppose to and that there is insulation where needed.

I don't have that heli but i doubt any other tx will work with it other than double horse one for that particular model. And btw i am surprised this heli hasn't gotten more buzz since its suppose to be a good solid precise flyer but than again there probably is not much difference over syma s107 and most everyone follows crowds.
Thanks for the quick reply. As suggested I took the transmitter apart and found no shorts or burned components. Stumped, I put batteries in it while disassembled, and it was alive again. Re-assembled it and he was back in business. Weird...and sort of ashamed I did not think to take apart and inspect...just assumed it was a known problem.
At least I had time to snap a photo of the board. It is marked BT-9531TV5 and the chip has a 9098 (2) sticker on it, so swapping transmitters with S107 is not very likely.
Again, many thanks for the quick reply and encouragement!
Last edited by AlexsDad; Dec 27, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:28 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
How's the yaw control on the DH 9098? Is it as fine as the S107, or more like the 6010s that seem more choppy and not as fine of control range through the stick range.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsDad View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. As suggested I took the transmitter apart and found no shorts or burned components. Stumped, I put batteries in it while disassembled, and it was alive again. Re-assembled it and he was back in business. Weird...and sort of ashamed I did not think to take apart and inspect...just assumed it was a known problem.
At least I had time to snap a photo of the board. It is marked BT-9531TV5 and the chip has a 9098 (2) sticker on it, so swapping transmitters with S107 is not very likely.
Again, many thanks for the quick reply and encouragement!
good to hear it worked in the end, i had a similar issue on one of mine not a short inside the tx but rather hitting a left stick made the heli spinout completely in circles so i took the tx apart shuffled some stuff and it worked ever since thereafter. its just cheap chinese manufacturing which sometimes needs a helping hand and some shaking
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
... so i took the tx apart shuffled some stuff and it worked ever since thereafter. its just cheap chinese manufacturing which sometimes needs a helping hand and some shaking
Give it the "Fonzie smack treatment" ... works most of the time.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
How's the yaw control on the DH 9098? Is it as fine as the S107, or more like the 6010s that seem more choppy and not as fine of control range through the stick range.
Well, here are my (and my 8yo son's) opinions. We just took delivery of a S107 and have had a DH9098 since July, and we have no experience with a 6010.
the DH9098 controls are very similar to the S107, either equal or slightly (very slightly) finer. No 'choppyness' found on either, they both seem to be proportional. The one difference is the response to the yaw. Full stick left or right will get you greater response on the DH9098. In other words, holding the stick all the way on the DH9098 for a fixed period of time might get you 180 degrees of rotation of the body, where the S107 might only move 90 or 120 degrees of rotation of the body for the same period of time.
On the other hand, the S107 is a bit louder, but we seem to get longer flight time. These two machines are so similar it is really hard to discern much difference.
This is our opinion, YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
arlington, tx
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
cool. it is nice to see all those quality helis coming onto the market.
adma20 is offline Find More Posts by adma20
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,700 Posts
I have had two 9098's for a few months and they are very nice to fly.

The first one I bought I broke the flybar on the second flight so I had a wait till a replacement came
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I have had two 9098's for a few months and they are very nice to fly.

The first one I bought I broke the flybar on the second flight so I had a wait till a replacement came
We too have had issues breaking balance bars on the 9098. First one lasted for weeks, but broke after contact with a chair leg. Replacement arrived with minor shipping damage and broke after only a few hours. Next time I ordered 2 hoping they would secure them together to survive shipping (eBay)...it worked, but broke one after a ceiling smack and ...well I don't recall how the last one ceased to exist. we have tried 'superglue' and it fails after very minor impact. I did experiment by drilling a very small hole in each half and gluing in a small section of paper clip like a dowel. It flew, but was pretty wobbly. we are now waiting for new balance bars from a supplier in China. Long wait for shipping from another continent.
On the other hand, the S107 balance bar has never had issues and has had very similar misadventures.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:28 PM
USA, TX, Richmond
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
I superglued mine 3 times, broke on the 2nd real flight (daughter was piloting), didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry the first couple of times but since then it has held up real well. Really nice flying helicopter.
wacked_rc is offline Find More Posts by wacked_rc
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Try scuffing up the area and use 2 part epoxy.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:21 PM
USA, TX, Richmond
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
Try scuffing up the area and use 2 part epoxy.
That is probably what helped for me, I used a dremel with wire wheel before gluing. I tried the two part epoxy but couldn't get the mix right so I switched to super glue.
wacked_rc is offline Find More Posts by wacked_rc