HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:25 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
That's cool, do you have the link to your blog in your profile? I was actually looking at the U807 as well haha, contemplating getting a blue one to complete the collection. How's the blue S107 coming along? That colour must be rare, I know it's available but I've actually never seen it in person! As for me I just managed to break a tail rotor off a particularly nasty crash today lol. Good thing it comes with a spare! Nothing else wrong with the heli however, although I was worried for a while.
As far as I know you just click on "scotsoft" and that should take you to my blog.
I have just added the BLUE S107 and a bit about a cheap 4 port USB I bought yesterday.
Don't expect too much of my blog, it's my first attempt at doing one but I would like to add a bit every couple of days eventually having pictures of all the fleet , some videos and some tails of me flying the fleet
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Damn it. Now I want a blue S107! Seems like the only way to get that for me is via eBay, never seen them offered around these parts. I like your helipad idea as well, might have to rip that one off ya mate.

I brought my 9098 into work today to zip around...very fun but I crashed a few times due to unfamiliar territory + a steady draft from the heating ventilation. No damage done though.
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
Damn it. Now I want a blue S107! Seems like the only way to get that for me is via eBay, never seen them offered around these parts. I like your helipad idea as well, might have to rip that one off ya mate.

I brought my 9098 into work today to zip around...very fun but I crashed a few times due to unfamiliar territory + a steady draft from the heating ventilation. No damage done though.
That's what the picture of the helipad is there for, to be ripped off, printed and aimed for
I tried to get a blue S107 from ebay but the postage costs from the US was way too much, that's why when I knew my friend was coming over I asked him to bring one (didn't have the heart to ask for more
Flying and draughts not a good combination and I agree about unfamiliar territory, I get that problem also. So have to take it easy to find out where the walls are etc
I'm pleased your little beast survived, that may well be handy to know for when I get mine.
I was watching an auction today for an orange 9098 on eBay, forgot the time and missed out getting one for $0.99 p&p free
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:55 PM
ho ho whoa...
USA, CA, Bay Area
Joined Nov 2009
160 Posts
I just got a 9098 and I have to say right off the bat it looks and feels a bit nicer in quality to the firebird I got.. the controller's throttle stick is not spring loaded which is what I like and the heli feels so solid.. it flies about the same as the firebird, maybe a touch faster forward flight.. Still getting used to 3-channel helis over my eflight 4-channel ones.. I think I prefer 4 channel but I am liking these ones also.. fun to have a mix of different helis to play with.
fizzgig is offline Find More Posts by fizzgig
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:07 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzgig View Post
I just got a 9098 and I have to say right off the bat it looks and feels a bit nicer in quality to the firebird I got.. the controller's throttle stick is not spring loaded which is what I like and the heli feels so solid.. it flies about the same as the firebird, maybe a touch faster forward flight.. Still getting used to 3-channel helis over my eflight 4-channel ones.. I think I prefer 4 channel but I am liking these ones also.. fun to have a mix of different helis to play with.
I've got two orange and one red 9098's and I like them as well, the first one I got I broke the flybar after the second flight

fizzgig have you ever tried the Syma S026 mini chinook?
Now that is something different whether it's the non gyro or the gyro version .
If you want something a bit bigger try the Syma S022 Chinook

At the end of the day that's why we buy these small machines, to have fun
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:26 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I've had a 9808 for almost two weeks but was not able to get it airborne due to a bad battery. I ordered one (180 mAH battery) though eBay, and got it today.

I went ahead, and took out the bad battery which was swollen like a pillow, and installed the new one. Then I put it on charge using the USB cable. The funny thing I noticed is that the plug's LED instead of glowing a steady bright orange, it was lighted dimly instead. To me, that is a sign of a defective battery...again!

But I unplugged it, and took it to the air. I had a heck of a time trimming it, and to top it off, it drifts forward with no input just like my 2 channel helis. The CG seems to favor the front.

It's now charging again. I hope to get this bird flying. If the battery doesn't work, the heck with it, I'll put in one of my new 240 mAH. At this point, I don't care if the extra weight makes it fly forward without the tailrotor being on.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:36 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
I've had a 9808 for almost two weeks but was not able to get it airborne due to a bad battery. I ordered one (180 mAH battery) though eBay, and got it today.

I went ahead, and took out the bad battery which was swollen like a pillow, and installed the new one. Then I put it on charge using the USB cable. The funny thing I noticed is that the plug's LED instead of glowing a steady bright orange, it was lighted dimly instead. To me, that is a sign of a defective battery...again!

But I unplugged it, and took it to the air. I had a heck of a time trimming it, and to top it off, it drifts forward with no input just like my 2 channel helis. The CG seems to favor the front.

It's now charging again. I hope to get this bird flying. If the battery doesn't work, the heck with it, I'll put in one of my new 240 mAH. At this point, I don't care if the extra weight makes it fly forward without the tailrotor being on.

Ed
Hi Ed
My 9098's creep forward as well but that does not bother me as long as they keep flying round giving me fun
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:16 AM
ho ho whoa...
USA, CA, Bay Area
Joined Nov 2009
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I've got two orange and one red 9098's and I like them as well, the first one I got I broke the flybar after the second flight

fizzgig have you ever tried the Syma S026 mini chinook?
Now that is something different whether it's the non gyro or the gyro version .
If you want something a bit bigger try the Syma S022 Chinook

At the end of the day that's why we buy these small machines, to have fun
I am thinking about one of those.. or maybe one of the esky 4-chan chinooks... or maybe a lama.. for video shooting.

yep on the fun factor.. when I was a "wee lad" I often thought how cool it would be to have tiny flying helicopters the size of my matchbox cars.. well, it's reality now.. and I am going to try and enjoy as much of it as I can.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:29 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Lighten the flybar, and forward speed will increase accordingly.

Maybe Double Horse will end up selling respectable models, after all.

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:48 PM
ho ho whoa...
USA, CA, Bay Area
Joined Nov 2009
160 Posts
flew my 9098 again in the garage today and it's really nice.. flies better than my firebird for sure... when I stop a forward or reverse movement it hovers nicely whereas the firebird takes a while to stabilize.. the air is very still in the garage so not sure why the FB is so squirrelly, maybe the blades are too loose? hmm.. regardless the 9098 is a very good flier so I am enjoying learning 3 channel flying with that one right now.. my 6010a comes in next week also.. should be interesting to compare it to the 9098.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:18 AM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
751 Posts
after reading and doing some research i am going to get one soon
ED3 is online now Find More Posts by ED3
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:13 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
9808 Rocks!

I like the 9808 very much. To me, it's one of the best looking 3 channel micros out there, especially the yellow and black model. The two front lights, and the flashing tail light make it perfect for flying in the dark. It's also slightly bigger than most of it's competition, and exhibits plenty of "authority" in the air.

Unfortunately, mine stopped working after it crashed against the wall. There was absolutely no physical damage (It's a tough bird!) but it was dead. I even removed the canopy to see if a battery lead wire had come loose but it was OK.

Anyway, I have another yellow 9808 on order that should arrive next week.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
More stopped working stuff, ARGH.

Coincidentally, this and my S022 Chinook thread were started on the same day.
That S022 still flies great. My four 9808's have all bit the dust.

question: does anybody have a 219-day-old 9808 that still works? What's the oldest working one we can find?

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:49 AM
ho ho whoa...
USA, CA, Bay Area
Joined Nov 2009
160 Posts
arg... not good. mine is just a youngin.. maybe 3 weeks old at most. out of my firebird and the 9008s I have briefly and the 6010a I gifted the 9098 is the most stable and predictable but also pretty slow in movement.. it hovers nice but not very exciting to fly cept for the disco light show..

wondering if having the battery hard wired is causing a slow drain on the lipo killing these? if so it would do that on all of these little guys.. hmm

Uhh.. wait.. this is the 9098 thread.. are you talking about a 9808 or 9098?
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:46 AM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
751 Posts
finally got mine i will try and make a short vid

ed
ED3 is online now Find More Posts by ED3