Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
received one today. Looks like syma makes it, big s at top of box and manual, maybe they just market it, cause box and tx are different from other syma's I have. Flies similar to 107, maybe a bit more zippy. Flight time 6 mins. Controls are not as smooth and precise as the 107, does not respond as quickly as 107. When it does it tends to be a little jerky, but not bad. Tail rotor is skinnier than the 107( think iI will try a 107 on it). Basically an ok heli, but I like the 107 better. Does not hover as well, needs constant adjustment.
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Last edited by bostomper; Aug 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding a comment
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
ok I am a rookie; but how do you fly sideways? I have S107's and a have never been able to fly sideways with an indoor coax?
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:04 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
glad i saw your post was getting ready to add one to the fleet..your opionion is the S107 still the best indoor heli?...thanks
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
I just picked up one of these along with a Volitation 9053 last Sunday. It's a great looking lil' chopper and is well built, certainly much better built than the mini I picked up in some random store in Malaysia a few months ago. It flew straight out of the box without needing any adjustments, is very stable and I found that it hovered fine by itself.

I've only just started getting into this new hobby after a recent trip overseas, but was never really into the smaller ones until now haha. As is, no complaints...fun chopper, well built and highly recommended to anyone that is into the 3ch co-ax thing.

I was weighing up between this one and the SYMA S107, but decided that the 9098 just looked a lot better, and that it would look kinda cool alongside the 9053 I also purchased heh. I'll probably pick up an S107 soon anyway, maybe then I can write up a comparison between the two?
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:38 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
I've been using one of the 9098 as an indoor practice heli for some time now. When I get outside, the 9053 comes into it's own. These two look virtually identical apart from the size and the coms: the 9098 is infra red, and the 9053 (mine anyway) is 40MHz rf.
I broke the 9098 several times before I got the hang of it, and now it's a reliable flyer. Stable, quiet, and a hellava lot of fun. Virtually the same controls as the bigger 9053 so you can learn your flight reflexes inside out of the weather.
One thing I found out recently, there are now TWO versions of the "inner shaft" 9098-11. this is the tiny plastic part that the upper blades pivot on. The later version of this part is now reinforced so should resist breaking. If the upper rotors hit any solid obstacle under power, the early 9098-11 can break off a lug. Unfortunately, both versions have the same part number so it's pot luck which one you're going to get with your order.
Hint: If you're about to hit anything solid, just turn the throttle to zero and let the 9098 drop to the floor. It can easily withstand falling out of the air without breaking, but hit anything under power?... snap!
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:48 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybo View Post
edit edit: here's the pcb. im thinking the 4 black things next to the led controls the flashing. maybe i can replace the little black things or just take them out? if the flashing cant be stopped im just gonna take out the leds
Don't touch those black things! Just remove the LEDs. Unfortunately you can't just replace them with ordinary LEDs. They are actually ICs with two LEDS inside, running off the full battery supply. Put standard LEDs in their place and they will blow unless you limit the current to each one with a series resistor.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:48 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr9434 View Post
I have seen this listed as the double horse 9098 and the Syma 9098. Is it actually made by Syma? I have also seen it with two different controllers?
Anyone have the scoop? thanks
I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but the place where I purchased my S107's from told me that they're both owned by brothers. Apparently SYMA is the original company, and sort of like a parent company, and one of the two brothers who started it also created Double Horse.

Anyway back on topic I'm loving my 9098! I had hoped to be able to compare it directly with the S107's I purchased a couple of days ago, but alas due to faulty gear that is impossible. For the brief amount of time I was able to fly the S107 before it imploded, I still preferred the 9098...but I'll reserve judgement until I've had appropriate flight time in both. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and hopefully getting a replacement.

The 9098 has been an absolute blast! I'm managing 7 minute flight times, it has decent forward pace, is responsive and highly maneuverable! I'm actually considering ordering in an orange one just for the hell of it. One of the most enjoyable things I've flown for sure!
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:30 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts

The twins. Arnie & Danny Devito lol.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:54 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Double Horse 9098 Brief flight in my living room. (3 min 31 sec)

Just thought I'd post a vid of me flying my 9098. My camera doesn't have a wide angle lens, so I was trying my best to keep it in the frame. Better positioning would have done wonders, but it was a spontaneous vid, and my very first haha. Enjoy...
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:26 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWkRDtcyY4

Just thought I'd post a vid of me flying my 9098. My camera doesn't have a wide angle lens, so I was trying my best to keep it in the frame. Better positioning would have done wonders, but it was a spontaneous vid, and my very first haha. Enjoy...
At first I thought it was that big beast you were going to take up, then this cool little beast rose to the sky, I never noticed it sitting there even though it was flashing it's bits at me lol. Great video, I enjoyed watching it and it's obvious you are enjoying yourself. Have to say though, your head does not move much when you are flying but I do like your red cap lol. I should have my 9098 (Orange) by the end of next week from HK
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
At first I thought it was that big beast you were going to take up, then this cool little beast rose to the sky, I never noticed it sitting there even though it was flashing it's bits at me lol. Great video, I enjoyed watching it and it's obvious you are enjoying yourself. Have to say though, your head does not move much when you are flying but I do like your red cap lol. I should have my 9098 (Orange) by the end of next week from HK
Thanks mate! For a split second I was wondering "how do you know I'm not moving my head much?", before I read on lol. In any case a few scuffed walls have taught me not to fly any of those bigger heli's in my living room anymore haha.

Let us know what you think when you get it, I assure you that you'll have a blast! It's doesn't quite have the razor sharp precision of the S107, but it is more nimble and possibly a bit quicker in forward speed as well. Also whilst the 9098 is durable overall, the main rotor blades tend to chip/scuff easier than the S107's from my experience. Not a great big deal, but worth noting.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:48 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
Thanks mate! For a split second I was wondering "how do you know I'm not moving my head much?", before I read on lol. In any case a few scuffed walls have taught me not to fly any of those bigger heli's in my living room anymore haha.

Let us know what you think when you get it, I assure you that you'll have a blast! It's doesn't quite have the razor sharp precision of the S107, but it is more nimble and possibly a bit quicker in forward speed as well. Also whilst the 9098 is durable overall, the main rotor blades tend to chip/scuff easier than the S107's from my experience. Not a great big deal, but worth noting.
I will post my thoughts on the 9080 in my blog, which I have just started writing along with reviews of the other helis I am waiting on, namely one 6020-1, three U807's (one of each colour ) , one U802 and the 9080 (orange)
I will get my BLUE S107 tomorrow, it should be midway across the atlantic at the moment, a friends son is bringing it over with him
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
Any body flying these now???
Yeah mate I have one and still fly it it fly and hovers so nicely...I am so scared to break this heli even though the spares are as cheap as chips
Aphony is offline Find More Posts by Aphony
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:38 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphony View Post
Yeah mate I have one and still fly it it fly and hovers so nicely...I am so scared to break this heli even though the spares are as cheap as chips
Hi Aphony, it's good to hear you still fly yours, but don't be scared, being scared means you are not having fun and more likely to have a crash. Relax and fly high and safe
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I will post my thoughts on the 9080 in my blog, which I have just started writing along with reviews of the other helis I am waiting on, namely one 6020-1, three U807's (one of each colour ) , one U802 and the 9080 (orange)
I will get my BLUE S107 tomorrow, it should be midway across the atlantic at the moment, a friends son is bringing it over with him
That's cool, do you have the link to your blog in your profile? I was actually looking at the U807 as well haha, contemplating getting a blue one to complete the collection. How's the blue S107 coming along? That colour must be rare, I know it's available but I've actually never seen it in person! As for me I just managed to break a tail rotor off a particularly nasty crash today lol. Good thing it comes with a spare! Nothing else wrong with the heli however, although I was worried for a while.