HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 02:27 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Mr K, much damage to the skywalker?

Harrow, I might try a firmer 6x4 on it, as it seems to have the revs just not the torque. Will let you know! I hope it flies a bit better as it was a bit too boring for me! Lol
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 02:37 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Mr K, much damage to the skywalker?

Harrow, I might try a firmer 6x4 on it, as it seems to have the revs just not the torque. Will let you know! I hope it flies a bit better as it was a bit too boring for me! Lol
Try a smaller battery too.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old May 06, 2012, 02:56 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
I've got some 1600's I'll try aswell, of they're no good I'll try the 1000's.
Old May 06, 2012, 04:11 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
I hope it flies a bit better as it was a bit too boring for me! Lol
It certainly limped around the park, LOL. When you get them right, they can be real screamers. You should be propping it for 20+ amps, presuming your ESC is rated accordingly.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; May 06, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 04:45 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Well, in 2 days my family has gone from having 3 working mobile phones to none. I lost mine, my eldest daughter somehow got her's so clogged with sand that the buttons will not budge, and my wife's just stopped working 2 hours ago. Freaky!
Old May 06, 2012, 05:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
The apprentice is on the way to recovery. She broke off her tail section on the fuselage tearing off one end bit on the stab. The rudder mount had rip off the fuselage gauging off a chunck of EPO. The battery compartment was ripped out along with the motor and its mount in the process pulling the ESC though the tiny hole where the wires are fed to the motor... and man it was jammed in there like a rabbit in a ferrets hiddy hole with a snake up its rear end. I should know coz the misses has a couple of ferrets as pets. The front section of the fuselage was crushed to the left but lucky for me hot water sort that out...she is straight now after 2 kettles worth. Have put everything back where they are supposed to be and have order a new cowl. The power 15 brushless motor, which was 5 flights old, has a snapped shaft and a wobbly bell housing along with the APC prop broken off in 3 pieces. I will have to put the stock motor and prop back on and see how she sits in the air before getting another Power 15 motor. She is not in a pretty shape but will try the best I can to get her back in the air.
Still am wandering what happened for her to lose power and nose dive like that. I checked the battery and found it 75% full. Am going the use another receiver I have laying around (Spectrum AR6210) instead of the stock AR600 as I'm hoping that caused that problem. Am seriously thinking of switching to JR tx but will first sort this out before I get too carried away.
Guess ....%&^%#$%^... happens. I thank my lucky stars she didn't take out a wind screen as she wasn't too far off. Not flying over that area again, coz I think the trees are in desperate need of some rc plane parts, I'll try to stick to the playing field once I get better at it....don't ask me when but I working on it...
Anyway hope to see you guys next weekend if parts and work permits.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old May 06, 2012, 06:35 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Well, in 2 days my family has gone from having 3 working mobile phones to none.
Text me in the next hour and I'll give you 3 brand new iPhone 4s for free.

Hey TS you might have to prop down the 2700 if Harrow's 1500 is swinging nearly the same prop. The higher Kv motors have less torque. That's the trade off for rpm.
narcas is online now Find More Posts by narcas
Old May 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Hmm down you say? I've stuck a 6x4 on with a lighter battery so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.
Old May 06, 2012, 07:51 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Hmm down you say? I've stuck a 6x4 on with a lighter battery so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.
My 1500kV is actually a bit slow (most guys use 2000kV+ for these profile pushers), and pulls only 15 amps with the 6x5.5, so with a 6x4 and 2700 kV, you would expect 15amps x 2700/1500 x 4/5.5 = 19.6 amps. Or with the 6x5.5 you should have around 27 amps, which is quite doable with that motor, and would really start to move although at the cost of some efficiency. I'd start with a good 6x4 with the 1600 or 2200 to deliver those amps and, as always, double check by actually measuring the amps for your installation. When your pushing 200 to 300 watts through those small props, they need to be stiff and good quality to perform. I have spares of both the APC 6x4 and 6x5.5 in my kit, so you can do some mix and match testing next time, and measure some amps.

Roger, you'll have to tell me about the hot water trick. Sounds real handy. Glad to hear the Apprentice will live to fly another day.
Last edited by Harrow; May 06, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
I forgot to mention that on analizing the transmitter I found the rudder output on the transmitter was in reverse setting and so was the aux1 which was connected to the left aileron servo. Recalling that faithful morning I did fly her with the first battery and was glad she flew the way I am comfortable with, the second battery appeared normal till it all happened. Then again I took up the T 28 and she fly well so am a bit confused as to what's going on here, may be its just me.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:35 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Roger, you'll have to tell me about the hot water trick.
Very hot, not boiling, water and slowly pour over ding.
It heats up the cells and pops them back into shape. Even works on depron.
If the water is too hot you end up with the alligator effect.
I boil the kettle and add one cup of cold water.
Or you can use a heat gun.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old May 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
I forgot to mention that on analizing the transmitter I found the rudder output on the transmitter was in reverse setting and so was the aux1 which was connected to the left aileron servo. Recalling that faithful morning I did fly her with the first battery and was glad she flew the way I am comfortable with, the second battery appeared normal till it all happened. Then again I took up the T 28 and she fly well so am a bit confused as to what's going on here, may be its just me.
Hey Mate

Not bagging out Spektrum but that area where you crashed has been the site of 4 or 5 other Spektrum victims.

Off the top of my head...

My SuperCub Crashed Over there. - DX6i and HK Orange 6ch RX
Matts F4U Corsair - DX5e and unknown RX
Alans had a plane crash there - DX8i and unknown RX
I know there was one more but I cant remember it now.

And now yours....

But then again, we have all had countless flights at Hammo before this happend so its anyones guess.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old May 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
I've only crashed that end once, but was flying a UHF long range system.

Although I did write off a funcub directly out the front of the shed, which lead me to send away the dx8 for warranty repair and they said it was a faulty RF board which was replaced so hoping now the troubles are gone. Another guy had the same issue and once repaired by spektrum he's had no grief thus far.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:07 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
I've only crashed that end once, but was flying a UHF long range system.

Although I did write off a funcub directly out the front of the shed, which lead me to send away the dx8 for warranty repair and they said it was a faulty RF board which was replaced so hoping now the troubles are gone. Another guy had the same issue and once repaired by spektrum he's had no grief thus far.
Hopefully that means my JR transmitter is safe, even though it uses DSM2 protocol?

I know there are many stories of Spektrum crashes, but there are probaby more Spektrum radios around than any other, so you'd expect more crashes. I wonder what the statistical ratios are of crashes per radio?
Old May 07, 2012, 12:21 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Guess I had better save for a JR. Don't really mind if it's my doing but to be on the dilemma that it could happen again bugs me heaps. This would also mean replacing all the receivers in the other planes too though not many it will add up. What would you guys suggest I get that's a notch above the DX 6i that I have?