HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:49 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Another thing to do is use more sketches, like one between the circle & pear, and pear & ellipse, a tweener so to speak, it's extra work but It'll make the transition alot smoother. And if your getting sharp corners or humps, try using the loft control points that pop up around each sketch, you can drag them to different endpoints of the sketch, lining them up to similar endpoints from one sketch to the other, that should help straighten it out.
One thing that I do when picking the sketches to loft is pick the actual geometry of the sketches themselves, and not just the whole sketch from the feature tree. And pick each one in the same spot, like the very top near the center, that will keep those control points in line , as long as there are no other issues with the sketches.

Quote:
I've got a plane and a boat on the table now so have to get those out of the way first.
So what-cha building? Do we get a preview?

Dean
P.S.
Here's my two latest birds...
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:08 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
So what-cha building? Do we get a preview?

Dean
P.S.
Here's my two latest birds...
I'm a bit shamed to bring this one up, luckily I've stated that it'll be a long project. I've got an enlarged rubber power Hurricane on the table, been for over a year now, money, money, money, where can I get me some... There is a build thread on the electric warbird forum:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004971

The boat is a 30's runabout stylish boat that I'm building for my little brother. No mahogany, no brass. I haven't taken any pics of that one yet. I can add a pic of it the next time I visit the in-laws, that's where I'm building it.

Nice birds. The panther looks fast, so the Fokker would be the one for me. That thing must be like a feather

Raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Oct 07, 2010, 04:51 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,337 Posts
Nice Hurri--but no posts since May? Get a paper route or something and get that thing going!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I've got an enlarged rubber power Hurricane on the table

The boat is a 30's runabout stylish boat that I'm building for my little brother. No mahogany, no brass.

Raipe
Dude, sweet looking Hurri, you've really done her up... and your not the only one to let projects sit for awhile. We all can't be uber builders like Paul & company.

And yeah, definitely post some pics of the Runabout, I'd really like to see that, it sounds cool.

Dean
Old Oct 09, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Cut Files

Hey Raipe,
I've been slacking, as usual, with finishing the IAR-80, so what I'll do is start with the formers, which are done, that way you can play around with making some cut files of your finished parts, then I'll finish cutting up the rest of the plane and post that as I go. Like breaking up the bigger parts into pieces to fit the cut-able sheet sizes.
And since your laser cutter can use PDF files, this should be a piece of cake for you.

Dean
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:28 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Thanks guys. The long brake has been good, I've had time to think about things I could do different. So when I get back to it, I'll start by redoing some parts, including the tail feathers(they are heavy) etc. I'll post few pics of the boat later.

Later
raipe
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:15 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Hi Dean and Raipe, you guys are doing some incredible work here. Keep it up!

I found this blog a few weeks ago while looking for a tutorial of 3-view to 3D. I'm a foam guy, and mostly models at or under 18"ws. So, while not everything done here translates to foam it's been a tremendous help for me.

I have one question for the man Dean here.

I'm currently working on a plane in SW from the videogame Crimson Skies, the Hughes P21-J Devastator. And I've run into a problem with the wings and was wondering if there is an easy way to do this. I tried and tried to make each wing a one piece extrude, but could not figure it out. So next I tried to make each separate piece (3 different planes) it's own extrude, then combine the three into one. But I get this mis-match between the separate pieces. Is there a way to combine these and add the missing amount there between the pieces?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Keep up the great work here!

ICU
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:39 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Thanks ICU. Not sure about SW, but i do that in inventor with simply using the same sketch as an end point for the first loft and as a start point for the next part. Not sure if I understood you right. Dean can tell you how to in SW.

Raipe
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Hi Dean and Raipe, you guys are doing some incredible work here. Keep it up!

I'm currently working on a plane in SW from the videogame Crimson Skies, the Hughes P21-J Devastator. And I've run into a problem with the wings and was wondering if there is an easy way to do this. I tried and tried to make each wing a one piece extrude, but could not figure it out. So next I tried to make each separate piece (3 different planes) it's own extrude, then combine the three into one. But I get this mis-match between the separate pieces. Is there a way to combine these and add the missing amount there between the pieces?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Keep up the great work here!

ICU
Thanks ICU,
I played the hell out of that game, it rocked.

And with the wing, since it looks like your using just flat stock foam, you can extrude the wavy shape from a front sketch (thickness of the foam), and extrude-cut the outer profile using a second sketch from the top or bottom.

Dean
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Raipe. I tried a few different ways to loft the surfaces but couldn't get anything better than what I had.

And roscoedude
LOL, wow that was incredibility simple. Thanks Dean your the Master!

I can't believe I banged my head for over an hour trying to do it the hard way and still couldn't get it right. Then try yours and I'm done in 15 mins.

That game was pretty fun, but I only played the online side of it. I didn't have an xbox at that time, so i only played with a friend who had it.

Thanks again
ICU

Now back to your regularly scheduled Myrsky build.

Edit: I re-did the fuse the same basic way as the wing. Way, way better than drawing a bunch of planes to loft down. Then added a nice big fillet around the edges. I was able to get the basic plane done in a 1/8 of the time it took me to do the lofting for the fuse. Thanks so much for that simple tip.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Last edited by ICU; Oct 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:18 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Hi Dean,

I had a go with the cut files this morning, got all the formers laid on a sheet. Just have to clear one thing, can I put everything on the same sketch on the sheet or should I make a separate out of every part?

Heres a pic of the start.
raipe
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:25 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Raipe. I tried a few different ways to loft the surfaces but couldn't get anything better than what I had.
Your welcome, sorry it didn't help. The way Dean showed is quicker even if it had worked

Raipe
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Hi Dean,

I had a go with the cut files this morning, got all the formers laid on a sheet. Just have to clear one thing, can I put everything on the same sketch on the sheet or should I make a separate out of every part?

Heres a pic of the start.
raipe
Cool, looks good...

I think that will be fine, but you may want to send a small sample cut file to the laser cutter to see if all is good, don't want to do all that work just to find out you have to re-do it another way.
You could send it as a PDF just to see how the guys PC/laser reads it; I'm curious to hear about that myself.
It can be a pain when SW files are converted into DWG or DXF's, you tend to get mismatched edges and have to go over everything carefully, then fix them, not fun. But using PDFs would make doing these cut files that much easier, and you know I'm all about easy.

Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Oct 12, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Edit: I re-did the fuse the same basic way as the wing. Way, way better than drawing a bunch of planes to loft down. Then added a nice big fillet around the edges. Thanks so much for that simple tip.
Sure thing ICU, have fun with your Devastator, it's looking good.

Dean
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:17 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Cool, looks good...

I think that will be fine, but you may want to send a small sample cut file to the laser cutter to see if all is good, don't want to do all that work just to find out you have to re-do it another way.
You could send it as a PDF just to see how the guys PC/laser reads it; I'm curious to hear about that myself.
It can be a pain when SW files are converted into DWG or DXF's, you tend to get mismatched edges and have to go over everything carefully, then fix them, not fun. But using PDFs would make doing these cut files that much easier, and you know I'm all about easy.

Dean
Gotta love easy. OK, I'll send this to the cutter and see if it works.

Later
raipe