Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
So I thought about the cowl thing, I decided to just add another ring in there. With no retracts it might take a beating every now and then. Actually I'm thinking if I should add even more support in there? It looks fairly nice with all the parts added in the assembly

Raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:08 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Actually I'm thinking if I should add even more support in there? It looks fairly nice with all the parts added in the assembly

Raipe

Hey Raipe,
You should be fine with the one former in the front & back end of the cowl, the middle one is really kinda overkill, but as with this whole project, I'm just making suggestions, and some guidelines to go by, leaving the decisions to you.
And from the start, my model has changed considerably, basically two different designs, but I did say I was going to show a couple different ways to do things, and let you chose what you like. Corrupted files helped a little with that.
I don't want you to feel like I'm pushing one way or the other, but giving you options instead, that was the plan from the start.

And with splitting up the stringer for the hatch, you can still move the one below it up, and just run it to the end of the hatch, and use a separate one for the back half. Also for the hatch, you'll need a front & back to the hatch, basically just copy & split the mating formers and use that.

I gotta say, you've done a damn fine job with the Myrsky, and your decal looks awesome, very cool...

Oh yeah, start thinking of the motor you want to use, so you can make a mount to fit it, also servo placement and linkage for the ailerons, and landing gear support if you plan on having them.
Let's see, am I forgetting anything, oh yeah, maybe a little more support for the stab in the tail, either more meat around it, or even little struts.

So, after that long winded response, is there anything that you want me to add or do that you've been thinking about?

Your getting close to the finish line, or should I say building line.

Take care,
Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
You should be fine with the one former in the front & back end of the cowl, the middle one is really kinda overkill,
Oops, I probably haven't mentioned this. I've made the cowl a bit short, for cooling, kinda like in the real one. It had just a panel (gills) that slipped pack wards to cover the slot when the engine was running on low temps. Could I say that any way more complicated. Anyways what I mean is that the cowl doesn't reach the "firewall". With a motor and ESC inside the cowl I thought it wont hurt to have an escape route for the air flow.

later
Raipe
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:47 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
Hey Raipe,
You should be fine with the one former in the front & back end of the cowl, the middle one is really kinda overkill, but as with this whole project, I'm just making suggestions, and some guidelines to go by, leaving the decisions to you.
And from the start, my model has changed considerably, basically two different designs, but I did say I was going to show a couple different ways to do things, and let you chose what you like. Corrupted files helped a little with that.
I don't want you to feel like I'm pushing one way or the other, but giving you options instead, that was the plan from the start.

And with splitting up the stringer for the hatch, you can still move the one below it up, and just run it to the end of the hatch, and use a separate one for the back half. Also for the hatch, you'll need a front & back to the hatch, basically just copy & split the mating formers and use that.

I gotta say, you've done a damn fine job with the Myrsky, and your decal looks awesome, very cool...

Oh yeah, start thinking of the motor you want to use, so you can make a mount to fit it, also servo placement and linkage for the ailerons, and landing gear support if you plan on having them.
Let's see, am I forgetting anything, oh yeah, maybe a little more support for the stab in the tail, either more meat around it, or even little struts.

So, after that long winded response, is there anything that you want me to add or do that you've been thinking about?

Your getting close to the finish line, or should I say building line.

Take care,
Dean
Hi,
Thank you for the kind words, couldn't have done it without your help. Gotta admit that the decal isn't mine, I just tried on one of those color schemes I found on the internet. Just had to try it after you showed your camo scheme. There is a create decal button in the inventor, with it I can use any drawing or picture as a decal. Thats probably how it works with SW too.

I had some time this morning and got something done. I made the front and back parts for the hatch and raised that one stringer up. I'll add a pic to show that. I will also add a pic to explain what I meant about the cowl. Do you think it'll be fine this way? What would you suggest to reinforce the stab with? Did you use anything on the 309?

Off to hunt, talk to you next week
Raipe
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Gotta admit that the decal isn't mine, I just tried on one of those color schemes I found on the internet. There is a create decal button in the inventor, with it I can use any drawing or picture as a decal. Thats probably how it works with SW too.

I will also add a pic to explain what I meant about the cowl. Do you think it'll be fine this way? What would you suggest to reinforce the stab with? Did you use anything on the 309?

Off to hunt, talk to you next week
Raipe

Yeah, I have that same pic, and I was going to razz you about why there's a wingtip on the side of the fuse , but I knew why it was there.
The decal thing works basically the same in SW, I did it in paint just to show Paul (since he doesn't have SW 2010 and can't use decals) another way to do it.

It's looking real good, and if you want, you could move the back cowl former closer to the cowl edge and still have ventilation and something to attach the cowl too, your call. The way it is now, the only support is the main crutch, unless you want to add some supports, and if it noses over, there's a good chance it could break in that spot. Just a thought...

With the stab, just some more meat in the tail around it would work. Since we cut out those parts, it may be a little fragile in that spot. Or a couple of thin sticks of balsa along the underside would work too. On the 309 the tail was solid, and I used plenty of glue, kinda like a glue fillet, that's another option.

I used to do a little hunting myself years ago, mostly duck and rabbit, and sometimes whatever other little critter that popped it's head up , now I'm more into Bass fishing.

Good hunting,
Dean
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,335 Posts
Wrapping that profile onto the fuse worked alot better than I had imagined. Not a bad way to get both the panel lines, color, and weathering in a single shot.

Actually, I can use decals in '08, but they take an awful lot of computing power. That generally locks up my laptop.

My $.02, I'd add a little meat back between the brace below the hstab and the fuse and call it good. I agree that this project is looking very good.

So what are we hunting in Finland?

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Thanks guys,

I was thinking of adding support from the upper longeron to the back former. I could also move the former backwards in the process. I'll add some meat in the stab also. Hopefully I can get in to it tomorrow.

Quote:
I used to do a little hunting myself years ago, mostly duck and rabbit, and sometimes whatever other little critter that popped it's head up , now I'm more into Bass fishing.

Good hunting,
Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne View Post

So what are we hunting in Finland?

Paul
Pretty much what Dean said I'm more in to grouses my self (not the famous ones) but other small game is ok too. I just love to get out in to the woods and walk around in the tranquility. Did someone mention fishing? I like trolling(is that the correct word) my self. Will do anything to spent time in the nature.

Later
Raipe
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys,

I was thinking of adding support from the upper longeron to the back former. I could also move the former backwards in the process. I'll add some meat in the stab also. Hopefully I can get in to it tomorrow.

Did someone mention fishing? I like trolling(is that the correct word) my self. Will do anything to spent time in the nature.

Later
Raipe
Hey Raipe,
That sounds good, you could even run both top & bottom longerons up to the front cowl former too, it'll align them, plus give you that extra support, just a thought...

And yes, I'll do some trolling too when things get slow, but I really enjoy the thrill of making that perfect cast to hopefully land the BIG boy (or girl).

Man, seems like all I'm doing here lately is typing out these long winded responses, but that will change once your ready for making the cut files, keep up the good work buddy...

Dean

P.S.
So how many birds did you bag this weekend?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:51 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
Hey Raipe,
That sounds good, you could even run both top & bottom longerons up to the front cowl former too, it'll align them, plus give you that extra support, just a thought...

And yes, I'll do some trolling too when things get slow, but I really enjoy the thrill of making that perfect cast to hopefully land the BIG boy (or girl).

Man, seems like all I'm doing here lately is typing out these long winded responses, but that will change once your ready for making the cut files, keep up the good work buddy...

Dean

P.S.
So how many birds did you bag this weekend?
Not many, lets say I got experience

OK, I moved the back former backwards, almost to the edge. Also edited the longerons. I made them both go all the way to the front former (like you said), better safe than sorry. Also added some strength to the stabs, mainly to the horizontal. guess I'll have to think about the motor and the mount next. I hope that we can get to the cut files next week.

Later
Raipe
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:

OK, I moved the back former backwards, almost to the edge. Also edited the longerons. I made them both go all the way to the front former (like you said), better safe than sorry. Also added some strength to the stabs, mainly to the horizontal. guess I'll have to think about the motor and the mount next. I hope that we can get to the cut files next week.
Looks good... Here's an idea to simplify the front end, you could move the back cowl former up a little, in front of the main crutch cutout and just notch the sides (see pic), then it'll slide on from the front until it hits the crutch, add the longerons and glue in place. What do you think?

The added meat on the tail looks good, that's a keeper. The only other thing (for now ) you could change is the front of the hatch, maybe get rid of that little partial former section, and use the full former in front of it as the front of the hatch opening, then move the front of the hatch up to it. Does that make sense? I re-read it and it sounds kinda funny, I could make up some pics if you want. Just trying to simplify things for you.

I'll get going on making some example, how-to cut files, and should have something by this weekend. So you can start thinking of how you want it all to go together, and we'll adjust it accordingly.

Later,
Dean
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Roscoe,

Do you have a business?

How do you score solidworks and a laser cutter?

Wow!
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Roscoe,

Do you have a business?

How do you score solidworks and a laser cutter?

Wow!
Hey Speed,
Unfortunatly I don't have my own business, got SolidWorks from work, and the laser cutting is farmed out. But I am for hire.

Thanks,
Dean
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
...I don't have my own business, got SolidWorks from work...
I've wanted to ask you for a long time about what you do for a living?

I made the motor mount and will add a pic of it. That thing about the back cowl former seems cool, I'll try that out. I've been thinking about the cooling slot. It's kinda ugly, not even scaleish. How about a few rings in front of the first fuse former rounded to go in to the cowl. Would still leave ventilation and look a bit better. What do you think, if you get a better idea let me know. I'll change the hatch tomorrow.

Later
raipe

Edit: Forgot to mention, 2 degrees of down and right thrust. (had to play with the decals too )
Last edited by raipe; Sep 23, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
I've wanted to ask you for a long time about what you do for a living?

I've been thinking about the cooling slot. It's kinda ugly, not even scaleish. How about a few rings in front of the first fuse former rounded to go in to the cowl. Would still leave ventilation and look a bit better. What do you think, if you get a better idea let me know.
For the last 5 months I've been on a temporary assignment, making 3D models and drawings for this companies new product line, but there's no real job title, so I guess I'm some kind of modeling/drafting engineer for now. But I've been a design/mechanical/product/drafting engineer for the past 10-12 years, with a background in machining.

With the cooling slot, that idea sounds good, maybe start off with just one ring, then radius/fillet it to the back face of the first former and see how it looks. In the mean time, I'll see what I can come up with.

The Myrsky's really coming along quite nicely, your doing a hell of a job. I'm half tempted to build one myself.

Dean
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:35 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
For the last 5 months I've been on a temporary assignment, making 3D models and drawings for this companies new product line, but there's no real job title, so I guess I'm some kind of modeling/drafting engineer for now. But I've been a design/mechanical/product/drafting engineer for the past 10-12 years, with a background in machining.

With the cooling slot, that idea sounds good, maybe start off with just one ring, then radius/fillet it to the back face of the first former and see how it looks. In the mean time, I'll see what I can come up with.

The Myrsky's really coming along quite nicely, your doing a hell of a job. I'm half tempted to build one myself.

Dean
Thank you. I'm really enjoying this

So you've got quite impressive CV then. Have you been working with cad for the whole time? You really seem to master this skill.

I changed the hatch a bit, now it runs all the way to the first fuse former. Also changed the ventilation "slot" and made small adjustments here 'n' there. I'ts starting to look like a model airplane now. Had some problems this morning, the inventor stalled and crashed four times on me, started to save more often after the first time

BTW. You are gonna have a set of cut files so if the temptation is too strong simply build one

Talk to you later
raipe