HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:06 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Is there n easy way to line up the stringers so that they don't look like snakes slithering around the fuse?

Raipe
Man dude, your on a roll.....

Yeah, it looks like you already got this down, but what I'll do is split the fuse in half, then cut-up one side into sections (formers), and the other for the stringer notches and stringers.
Then mirror the stringer's & notch features to the section side... Simple huh?

I don't have any new pics yet for that part, but I'll try to get some for you either tomorrow or the day after. In the mean time, here's a link to some pics that show how I've done the stringers & notches...

about half way down the page, can't miss it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003129&page=15

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
So I did it the hard way then no surprise there.

Wouldn't say on a roll, just had some time on my hands for the last few days. Thanks for the link, I've read that actually earlier but it had slipped my mind, looks really neat.

Raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Well, it's been awhile since I worked on this, but I had a couple ideas to throw out there, so I put together a few pics. Basically just added a few stringers on the back half, some simple wing saddles (which isn't complete yet), and also lightened the tail some.
Anyway, I'll break things down for the show & tell part in the next few days and get them posted... hopefully.

Dean
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:06 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Well, it's been awhile since I worked on this, but I had a couple ideas to throw out there, so I put together a few pics. Basically just added a few stringers on the back half, some simple wing saddles (which isn't complete yet), and also lightened the tail some.
Anyway, I'll break things down for the show & tell part in the next few days and get them posted... hopefully.

Dean
Looks great, as always. Can't wait to get back to this project.

Raipe
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:32 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Got something done today. I think I might have made too many stringer slots though. I think i'll lose few from the bottom half of the fuse.

Raipe
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:03 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Had a go with the stringers. Still need to add few behind the canopy. Do you think that I could lose few of the stringers? Seems a bit crowded at the end..

Raipe
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:09 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
And by the way those tail feathers look really cool. Would that method require covering with a film? They are a lot lighter that way, which would be good when setting the CG. I just suck at ironing

Raipe
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
Had a go with the stringers. Still need to add few behind the canopy. Do you think that I could lose few of the stringers? Seems a bit crowded at the end..

Raipe
Hey Raipe,
Looking good... You can go with just 2 stringers per quarter section, like in my pic's, except where the hatch is, there you want a few more for added strength. Since your going to sheet everything, that's all you'll need to support the sheeting, it'll be plenty strong enough when done.
Remember to make the stringer notches deep enough so they will be almost flush with the fuse formers, so you won't have to sand them down too much.

I've been working on an idea for where the wing mounts to the fuse, I'll get that figured out and post some pics when I finish it.

And with the tail, yeah, covering is the way to go if you do the cutouts, then just paint over it, or you can leave it solid, then seal & paint it. ( I don't like doing the covering either, it sucks.)

More later,
Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Aug 26, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:05 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Took few stringers out and added one behind the canopy. To avoid covering I'll leave the tail solid. I'll go for the keel parts next.

Raipe
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Been getting the pieces back in order and should have something for you in a day or two... no kidding.
Some things I did have to start over, gotta love corrupted files....

Dean
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:23 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
gotta love corrupted files....

Dean
Yep, I know what you mean. Other thing that I just love is "fatal error", every autocad user probably knows that one I've become somewhat neurotic at saving progress, maybe even too often. I guess these are just parts of CAD we gotta live with

Raipe
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
OK, as promised, here's another way to do a wing-fuse crutch, which can be used with or instead of the other wing crutch used in the first time around.

I re-did the fuse formers (different spacing) and extended the fuse up into the cowl as an optional way to go also, but either way, you can use the new wing crutch or the old, or both together. Just giving you some options so you can choose what ya like.... what a guy, huh.

Anyway, on to the stringers (again ) and a couple different ways to secure the wing.

Have fun,
Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Sep 03, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
793 Posts
Wing Fillet

For the wing-fuse fillets, you can incorporate some of the shape into the formers, then sheet the top when doing the fuse & partial bottom, that way you also have more area for the wing to seat onto. I'll get the construction pics up shortly.

Dean
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:31 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Gotta say, you work real quick. That "crutch" looks really neat, You make it look so easy. I still think that I might wanna go with the wing saddle you posted earlier. It seems like something I might be able to manage with the inventor

I'm a bit busy with school stuff now so I'll get back at this when I can

Thanks
Raipe
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:37 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
OK, I finally had some time to fiddle with the Myrsky. got he keels to a point that I'm nearly happy with them. I also lightened the "in fuse" part of the horizontal stab. Gotta say I'm so tempted to lighten the whole tail croup like you did. I know it won't be a lot but with that moment arm it might make a difference.(I'd just have to really learn to cover with a film) What do you think? That would mean more weight save since I could cover the whole thing.

I was thinking of a way to assemble the actual model. I could do the bottom side first then the upper fuse half. Would be easy to modify for that, I'd just need to cut the formers in half horizontally.

Raipe