HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
OK, wow. You've been busy this weekend. That new canopy looks just beautiful. I'm working on the wing right now. I hope that I can get it done today so I can get to try that new canopy method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
A tip about lofting:
The airfoils in the sketches should be 2 halves (top & bottom), and both the front and back endpoints should be "coincident" or "pierce" the wing profile splines/lines for it to work well. Another thing, when picking the airfoil sketches for the loft, try picking the actual airfoil splines, and not just the sketch itself, also pick them all in the same spot (like the very front), that should help to keep things in line so the control points don't get all funky on you.
You may also have to split the wing profile sketch into 3 separate sketches (LE, TE & tip) to work in Inventor, not sure, but it may help.

Anyway, TGIF and I'll talk at you later,
Dean
Yes, I see what you mean. I just can't make them coincident, when adding constraints I'm unable to select the spline? I'm going to keep on trying and maybe I'll get there. I know that this can be done just don't know what i'm missing/doing wrong.

Raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old May 10, 2010, 02:17 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
Oh, another thing. How do you import the wing profile? I tried using a dwg file I found in the internet. That is a bit hard on the computer though (the sketch is made of a million parts).

Raipe
Old May 10, 2010, 11:34 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Hey Raipe, when picking the spline and endpoint for constraints, while in the airfoil sketch, I'll pick the endpoint of the airfoil, then hold down "Control" on the keyboard, pick the spline/line of the profile, then add the constraint, maybe that work's for Inventor too, don't know.

Also, for the airfoil sketch, I used the pic on the last page, made a new sketch, then inserted it as a sketch picture, scaled it, then I just traced off of that. I then smoothed it out a tad to get rid of any humps or bumps using the "Simplify Spline" spline option , which removes some spline points so you get a much smoother shape. But you don't want to over-do it, because you'll lose that original airfoil shape, and as long as it's a good pic, you'll be fine.
I found when using the imported DXF or whatever files, they come in as mega-line segments, which you'll have to trace over anyway to get any-kind of smooth surface, so either way you'll be tracing something , so which ever way you feel more comfortable with, go for it.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Last edited by roscoedude; May 10, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I tried using a dwg file I found in the internet (the sketch is made of a million parts).

Raipe
Besides my last suggestions, I forgot (DOH), but in Inventor, you can just connect all those line segments into polylines, top & bottom, and use that.... I told you it's been awhile since I used it.

Dean
Old May 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Splitting Ribs

OK, here's the basic wing de-construction, nothing is set in stone, so think about how you want it, and we'll go from there. Also think about the wing-spars and wingtip construction, and we'll incorporate that in too.

Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; May 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
OK, that looks really nice.

It was really easy to trace the wing profile, not as hard on the computer either. I'm having trouble with rotating the wing, I might not be able to do that in Inventor. I think I'll try it with a tilted work plane if I can't get it rotated.

From trouble to another
Raipe

Here's what I've managed so far (no canopy yet):
Old May 18, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Quote:
I'm having trouble with rotating the wing, I might not be able to do that in Inventor. I think I'll try it with a tilted work plane if I can't get it rotated.
Looks really good Raipe.....

Can you use "Modify" - "Move Bodies" to get it in position?

Dean
Old May 20, 2010, 04:17 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
No, "move bodies" only has axial movements in it. I'll keep on fiddling with it and hope I'll get it done somehow.

Raipe
Old May 21, 2010, 01:06 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
Glad i did keep at it. The "move bodies" does have the rotation in it (I just didn't see it) so no worries on that issue, Just on the matter of how can I rotate just the wing, not all of the model at once

Raipe
Old May 21, 2010, 03:56 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
Got a somesort of a canopy done

To tell you the truth, I got frustrated fiddling with the wing and thought I'll give the canopy a go.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Quote:
Got a somesort of a canopy done

To tell you the truth, I got frustrated fiddling with the wing and thought I'll give the canopy a go.
Cool, that canopy looks great.... actually, everything looks great, nice job!

To tell you the truth , I used store bought plastic Mustang canopies and trimmed them to size for both my Me 309 & my neglected XP-72, so I guess you can call me a somewhat lazy builder.

Anyway, with the wing, yeah, it should be a separate part from the fuse so you can move it (but I think you got that covered now ).
I'll work on adding some ailerons to the wing and post that this weekend... and let me know how you want the wing spars, then I can add them too.

Later,
Dean
Old May 23, 2010, 07:04 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
I made the wing to a separate part and made an assembly out of the two, worked out quite nice. Would look even better if I could make the canopy transparent, haven't figured that out yet.

Raipe (a happy camper)
Old May 23, 2010, 07:16 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
546 Posts
Another one to show the dihedral
Old May 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Sweet ... now for the hard part ... just kidding... it looks great Raipe, I'll get moving on the rest of the wing for you so you'll have that (I didn't start yet ), should have it up in a day or two.
It looks like you'll have this ready to build in no time.

Dean