HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
United States, CA, California City
Joined Mar 2011
26 Posts
Subscribed!
MRM RCModels is offline Find More Posts by MRM RCModels
Old May 21, 2011, 02:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
First try at plane modelling...

Hey guys, I've spent some time with solidworks making mostly prismatic things. Now I'm learning to model surfaces and thought I'd try a plane. I started with a sailplane since it has a pretty simple shape. I found out about this thread from Longhorne. It's been really helpful in getting started. Here's what I've got so far:

I used a split line to make a new surface for the canopy out of the body, since they have the same shape.

I have a question though about how one goes about making the formers and stringers once the body is finished. I've looked over what's been done here, but haven't seen any specifics. Could anyone give me some advice on that matter?
barrowaj is offline Find More Posts by barrowaj
Old May 21, 2011, 07:07 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrowaj View Post
I have a question though about how one goes about making the formers and stringers once the body is finished. I've looked over what's been done here, but haven't seen any specifics. Could anyone give me some advice on that matter?
Here's a few pics that should help...

I didn't go into too much detail on this blog because Raipe already knew how to do the majority of the stuff, so I would just show one option or two and let him go at it. Plus it's always good to try new and different ways to do things, even if they don't work out. It just adds to your knowledge of what will and won't work on certain things.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old May 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,332 Posts
Whatcha makin, Dean?

Hi Andrew--good to see that you are on the way. Just a couple of thoughts. The first is that the Split function is very useful, but in my experience it is easily the least stable SW function. Its the most likely one to have a reload failure or to be knocked out by an adjustment to an operation upstream. I still use it alot, but if I can get by with something else I do.

In contrast, a function that I really love is Indent. If you look through Dean's last post, you can use it just prior to cutting the formers. Specifically, I build the stringers, hatch rails, and the longerons and then I Indent them into the fuse solid body. Then when I cut the formers they have all of their notches and slots in place with one operation.

One last thought. Split works fine to knock out the formers, but I like a flipside Extruded Cut due to my Split paranoia mentioned earlier. The cutting contour is a rectangle running the length of and below the fuse with a narrow finger sticking up for each of the formers. It looks like a comb with alot of teeth missing. And like Dean said, there are always several ways to do each thing!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old May 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2006
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne View Post
The first is that the Split function is very useful, but in my experience it is easily the least stable SW function. Its the most likely one to have a reload failure or to be knocked out by an adjustment to an operation upstream. I still use it alot, but if I can get by with something else I do.

Paul
Yep, I totally agree, split can be your friend, or a total nightmare. You just have to limit it's use, like once per part file, maybe twice, but even then it can come back and bite you. What helps is use it towards the end of the feature tree if possible, and try to limit the features after it, that's what seems to make it unstable at times. I've had my share of funky files because of it... not fun.

And Paul, that's a good tip about the flip-cut for formers and ribs, I've used that a few time's myself, along with whatever else that pops into my head at the time, some good, some not so good. But like you said, there's many different ways to do things in SW, if you don't try new things, you'll never know.

Dean

PS. the Hien is looking good.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
493 Posts
Are we losing you to the tank side Dean? (Cool stuff to be honest)

Is that Kawasaki going to be your next Build Paul? Looks great

I have an oportunity to learn to use Solidworks were I work and have taken advantage of it. There is one thing I just can't figure out. How can I use pictures like 3 vews in SW? Do I need to convert them to some specific format or what?

Raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old May 26, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I have an oportunity to learn to use Solidworks were I work and have taken advantage of it. There is one thing I just can't figure out. How can I use pictures like 3 vews in SW? Do I need to convert them to some specific format or what?

Raipe
Cool, once you get used to it, let me know what you think of SW compared to Inventor.

For the 3 view or pic, make a new sketch, then "Tools"> "Sketch Tools"> "Sketch Picture".
I have it added to my toolbar since I use it a lot.

Later,
Dean

PS. Tank side , yeah another hobby to take my money... but they are pretty cool.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,332 Posts
Hey, Raipe. Good to hear from you.

Yes, I think that the Kawasaki will be next up. So far I've been alternating between 30" warbirds and "other." With the 20" Pete out of the way, I guess a 30" Ki61 will be a good fit.

I'm in Tucson on a project for the next week. That means lots of uninterrupted CAD time . . . .

Paul
Old May 28, 2011, 04:57 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
493 Posts
Thanks Dean, that helped a lot. It'll take time to get all the kinks of SW figured out but I already like it. It seems to create smoother lofts for an example than Inventor. I'll post my practice piece up when I get it done. What I've always liked about Inventor is it's similarity with Autocad, it's was kinda easy to learn.

Paul, I really enjoyed the Pete build. Can't believe how small and light it became Will follow the Hien build too for sure.

Later
Raipe
Old May 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
782 Posts
Sure thing Raipe, let me know if you have any other questions...

Paul, since your going to have a break from all that building , maybe you can throw up some pics as you go on the Ki-61, I'm sure the viewers would like that. (me too of course)
And I'm with you on the Split feature problems, anymore I try to do as much as possible without it, unlike in earlier models, not saying I don't use it, I just limit it and use some of the other methods mentioned, like Cut-Extrude, Indent, etc., and when I do use it, I try to make it the last or next to last feature if possible, that seems to help with file stability.
Maybe it's time to revise this thread with more options, since some of the things shown have been pretty much dropped now in favor of others.

So feel free to post away... and who knows, I may even get around to building a real model airplane again... just don't hold your breath...

Later,
Dean
Old May 15, 2013, 12:38 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
493 Posts
Hi Dean!

How you've been doing?

I've been on a "break" from cyber modelling for a while and just kinda got back to it. Now i've been fiddling with the SW and kinda fell in love with it. There are some features that I simply cannot replicate in Inventor. In example the wing fillets with surfaces using split lines on the wing and fuse surface. Can't wait all the things I can learn now

One thing I need to ask since I could not figure it out. I made the wing and stab tips with boundary surfaces like you showed earlier. I just can't mirror the tips no matter how hard I try... The lofts work OK but not the tips. Is there a trick to it that I didn't figure out yet?

Later
raipe
Old May 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
782 Posts
Hey Raipe,

Good to hear from you. So far this year I've been ubber busy with work and haven't been CAD'ing either, just too burnt out, otherwise everything's good on my end.

For the wingtip, I usually make a solid from the boundary surface, then combine it to the rest of the wing, and then mirror it. Sometimes those boundary surfaces don't like being mirrored for some reason, not sure if it's a bug or what.
Since I've changed up how I do a lot of that stuff now, trying to simplify it more, instead of doing the top and bottom halves separate, I'll select the top edge of the wing, the tip profile sketch, and bottom wing edge, all in the same selection box, to make the boundary surface. Just make sure the tip sketch endpoints are connected to the wing edge (use the "Pierce" constraint), that should do it.

Later,
Dean
Old May 15, 2013, 11:32 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,332 Posts
Dean lives!

Good to hear that both of you guys are alive and well. I hear what you are saying about the work thing, too. I had to set aside building for the most part for awhile.

Maybe next winter . . . .

Raipe--I make wingtips from three separate 3D sketches. One is a vertical profile, one more or less horizontal, and the last a circle or simple shape to anchor a loft. As Dean says, Pierce is your friend. Once the sketch endpoints are anchored to the wingtip airfoil, they should loft and mirror easily.

Hope this helps,

Paul
Old May 17, 2013, 06:05 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
493 Posts
Hi ya both!

Thanks for the quick answers guys Good to hear you're both OK!

Again there it is, more than one correct way to do one thing. What I've done with inventor in the past is pretty much what Paul showed with the exception of using the airfoil sketch all the way to the tip. Sounds like a lot of scaling etc, I know, and it is. So when you say combine the tip with the solid loft, how do you go about it? Is there a function for that or what? I might have missed it if we've discussed that before

Later
raipe