SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:29 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Discussion
Build along... Let the party begin!

Hey guys,
We are now officially started, so any questions, etc. as we go, just ask here.

When building these CAD models, I don't always follow the rules or proper protocol for 3D modeling, and I like to do things the easy and quick way when possible, so here we go......

Alright, we'll start with some pics for Raipes project:
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:51 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Hey guys,
We are now officially started, so any questions, etc. as we go, just ask here.

When building these CAD models, I don't always follow the rules or proper protocol for 3D modeling, and I like to do things the easy and quick way when possible, so here we go......

Alright, we'll start with some pics for Raipes project:

Hey!

So, here's what i managed to do. Probably went ahead of myself but couldn't resist of trying a little lofting
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:55 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
570 Posts
Ok, I got the cowl and the cockpit cutout done. Are we gonna do the aft part of the cockpit later? And how did you do the cockpit in your pics? I fiddled around with it for awhile and haven't got it done. There is a view of the lofting etc. panel on the pic I added.

Raipe
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:52 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
570 Posts
I think that the rear half of the canopy looks great like that. I can't get that front part done though. I cant get it to follow the outline sketch. Reason is that I don't know/remember how to attach the sketch to the fuse. If its not attached to the "solid" the loft wont recognize it Have to keep on trying.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Hi Raipe,
With the canopy outline sketch, I made both endpoints of the spline "coincident" with the two solid edges of the canopy cutout (front & back-see pic), and kept the finished surface/canopy a separate part, same with the back two.
Your doing a great job translating the SolidWorks lingo I'm using into Inventor, maybe you should throw some Inventor lingo back at me to help jog my memory, it's been years since I last used it, and then I can talk the talk back at you.

Dean
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Starting the wing

Hey Raipe,
I got started on the wing, and since the wing/fuse fillet carries past the TE of the wing fairly far, I'm thinking of a couple different ways to do it. One is to partially build it into the wing (see pic), and the other is to make the wing's normally tapered shape, and sheet or cardboard the fillet in after the wing is positioned in place, either way there's a little extra work involved.
I'll get the other way modeled up, and post pics of how to do both, then we can either go with one of those, or come up with something else.

more pics coming soon,
Dean
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:33 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Hey Raipe,
I got started on the wing, and since the wing/fuse fillet carries past the TE of the wing fairly far, I'm thinking of a couple different ways to do it. One is to partially build it into the wing (see pic), and the other is to make the wing's normally tapered shape, and sheet or cardboard the fillet in after the wing is positioned in place, either way there's a little extra work involved.
I'll get the other way modeled up, and post pics of how to do both, then we can either go with one of those, or come up with something else.

more pics coming soon,
Dean
Man. You make this look so easy I'm still in a standstill with the canopy. For some reason I can't use the front edge to constraint the sketch. Spent a couple of hours on it yesterday(after a days work that started at 4am)

I like that yellow 6 scheme in the pic you added. I might go with that, but that is so far in the future I might change my mind(for like 100 times)

Raipe
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I'm still in a standstill with the canopy.

Raipe
I wanted to re-do that anyways, so I'll loft one up this weekend, and post it up along with the wing pics... no problem .

Quote:
I like that yellow 6 scheme in the pic you added. I might go with that, but that is so far in the future I might change my mind(for like 100 times)
LOL, yeah, that one is cool looking... but don't let me influence your choice .

I had some time today, so I made up that straight wing, and I'll get the breakdown pics of both for you this weekend, along with the canopy ones too. I can also send you the actual files too, if you want. I'll see what I can do about converting them into a format that you can import into Inventor.

Dean
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
OK, here's the first installment , I broke down the straight wing first, since it's the easier of the two. Now there's always that question of whether to build in the wing washout or not, but on this one I didn't, I left it straight for now. I can do that on the other just to show it, but it's not really necessary, you can always add the twist in when the wing is built.
Good luck, and if you have any ?'s about this method, just ask.

Enough talk, now some pics.

Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; May 07, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old May 07, 2010, 03:18 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
570 Posts
Ok, I did the tail feathers, kinda neat way to do them (read easy). I just can't get that canopy done. I think that I'll encounter the same problem with the wing. I just cant get those different sketches to work together

Raipe
Old May 07, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe View Post
I just can't get that canopy done. I think that I'll encounter the same problem with the wing. I just cant get those different sketches to work together

Raipe
Hi Raipe,
I've been slacking on re-doing the canopy , but I'll get it done this weekend for you. Also, I'll send you the wing file as a DXF or IGES file too, so you can play around with it.

A tip about lofting:
The airfoils in the sketches should be 2 halves (top & bottom), and both the front and back endpoints should be "coincident" or "pierce" the wing profile splines/lines for it to work well. Another thing, when picking the airfoil sketches for the loft, try picking the actual airfoil splines, and not just the sketch itself, also pick them all in the same spot (like the very front), that should help to keep things in line so the control points don't get all funky on you.
You may also have to split the wing profile sketch into 3 separate sketches (LE, TE & tip) to work in Inventor, not sure, but it may help.

Anyway, TGIF and I'll talk at you later,
Dean
Old May 08, 2010, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Flat Tail

Raipe,

Here's a couple pics to show you how that flat tail (sheet balsa) set-up looks like on my 39in. WS scratch-build, not the best blend/transition from fuse to tail, but it was my first time , and if done again, I would taper it just a tad more for a better look.
So if you think that's the way you might want to go with your plane, we'll leave that part be, and move on, your choice.

Next I'll finish the canopy. (how many times have I said that )

Dean