HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
My first (non-micro 3ch) heli -- My first Trex!?

Greetings forum-verse,

I hope this is the right place for this thread. If not, please bear with me while I get my bearings around this place...

My air experience with R/C thus far is a combination of a tiny indoor 3ch heli and a Firebird Phantom plane. I have had an itching desire for over a year now to get into larger helis, but just haven't found the money to do so properly. However, I'm coming up on a good opportunity to do so, and would like some advice on my first setup.

From everything I have read, it sounds like the T-Rex 450 is a superb deal for an enthusiastic beginner if I can afford it. I have found the following package deal for $699, and would like some opinions from the heli-educated on whether this package is a good deal:
  • KX015076A T-REX450 Sport Super Combo
  • LP-B1101 Lightning Power 2200mAh 25C 11.1V Li-Po 3G
  • SPMAR6100E AR6100 DSM2 ML 6Ch Rx End-Pin, Air
  • KX850143A Align Lithium Battery Balance Charger
  • LP-C1015 Male and Female T-Plug
  • SPM6600 DX6i 6-Channel Full Range w/o Servos MD2

As far as I can tell, this is everything I would need to get me off the ground, other than tools. I have been advised to get a pitch gauge, but I have all the other tools I should need.

So, how does this package hold up for an enthusiastic beginner who has never flown a heli more than 3ch? I'm patient and determined, and just want to make sure I'm getting good equipment for my money!
benblake112 is offline Find More Posts by benblake112
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
There's no mention of servos or gyro. That can range from $30 to $300. The rest of the stuff is decent, but there's no way to tell if it's a good deal without the previously mentioned items. If you need to provide them, you could find a better deal. A lot of people will advice you to buy a Trex clone. They are far cheaper, but they have pros and cons.

Aside from actual equipment, you have no idea how difficult these helis are to fly, nor how easily they break. Simply tipping over will cost you $20. A real crash will cost much more. When a 28" rotor head hits something at 2000 rpms, something is going to break. Some people prefer to start with a coax heli and work their way up. Some start with a cheap fixed pitch (FP) heli, because they are much more durable and easy to fix. Some jump right into a larger CP heli, like you want to do. But, you really need a decent sim to accomplish this; something like Real Flight or Phoenix. Otherwise, you will spend several times your original investment in repairs, not to mention countless hours.

It's never simple, is it?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:15 PM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There's no mention of servos or gyro. That can range from $30 to $300. The rest of the stuff is decent, but there's no way to tell if it's a good deal without the previously mentioned items. If you need to provide them, you could find a better deal. A lot of people will advice you to buy a Trex clone. They are far cheaper, but they have pros and cons.

Aside from actual equipment, you have no idea how difficult these helis are to fly, nor how easily they break. Simply tipping over will cost you $20. A real crash will cost much more. When a 28" rotor head hits something at 2000 rpms, something is going to break. Some people prefer to start with a coax heli and work their way up. Some start with a cheap fixed pitch (FP) heli, because they are much more durable and easy to fix. Some jump right into a larger CP heli, like you want to do. But, you really need a decent sim to accomplish this; something like Real Flight or Phoenix. Otherwise, you will spend several times your original investment in repairs, not to mention countless hours.

It's never simple, is it?
Hi
Excellent advice
Also check out Radds Its heli flight school
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Its how i and many others learned to fly cp heli succesfully and easily
Use training gear until you feel comfortable
And do take extreme care as helis of this size and larger can inflict property damage and serious personal injury if not treated with the proper respect and safety procedures
Best of luck with you training
Take care
Hank
shin is offline Find More Posts by shin
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There's no mention of servos or gyro. That can range from $30 to $300 ... But, you really need a decent sim to accomplish this; something like Real Flight or Phoenix ...
Balr, thanks for the reply! Interestingly the part list doesn't include the servos and gyro, but there's mention of them in the description. The one I'm looking at is from helihobby.com (http://helihobby.com/html/trex_helicopter.html). The say "the servos are superior digital metal gear servos" but don't seem to mention a make/model, unless "superior digital" is the name of the company? I took that to be descriptive... Perhaps I'll contact them to find out what they're including. Also the gyro is the GP750.

I have been considering picking up a copy of Phoenix. However, if I'm going to get this fancy machine, with the DX6i included, then I don't need to get the Phoenix package which includes a DX5, or purchase one separate. So I think my plan is, if I get good feedback from the community on this package, go ahead and buy it, and also get a copy of Phoenix and a trainer kit.

I haven't determined if this particular T-Rex is mostly pre-built or if it's one I will be building completely first. If the latter, I will have plenty of time to learn in Phoenix while I work on building it!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
Nice, but watch this... oops.
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2010
250 Posts
That kit number listed comes with the align equipment. A 750gp gyro(I think in the number) a high speed 420 servo for the tail, and 3 ds410 servos for the cyclic.

Its hit or miss on the 410's. Most people like them to start, but they do have a high failure rate. For lning they are prolly ok, just do a proper pre-flight everytime to make sure they don't show signs of failing on you.

Bill
Dirt Brakes is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Brakes
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:08 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Hi Ben. Quite an adventure. It 'can' be done for roughly half that. But that's used and luck and the seller's ethics play a substantial part in what you get. Could be gold like I got for $350, could be landfill.

Align/EXI hybrid, composite frame
All CNC
4x HXT900 servos (though they're a little laid back for the tail)
GY401B gyro
2200mAh, with a junk charger that still works but takes all day
Turnigy 30A BL
AR6200
DX6i, preprogrammed
Fully assembled, flyable but alignment may not be 'perfect'
$350

BUT the chap who sold it to me represented it exactly as it is, and you can't count upon that when internet buying.

The AR6100 is not the 'ideal' receiver for 450 class, but at 'learning' range it will be fine. It's dual diversity, 6200 is quad.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
That is a good quality kit from a reputable site. It's a reasonable price for an all Align kit. You will need to build it, though. If you plan on staying with this for the long haul, upgrade the TX to the DX7... better gimbals, more granularity, more functions and 1 more channel.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
119 Posts
From a micro 3-channel to a T-Rex? My opinion is, that's a very bad move, but good luck. It's your money. The T-Rex helis are pretty stable but extremely sensitive and twitchy. I would highly recommend flying a fixed pitch heli first, I don't think you have any idea what you're getting into. Save yourself a TON of money and buy a cheap Falcon 40 to learn on first while you build the T-Rex. Trust me on this.
Scream And Fly is offline Find More Posts by Scream And Fly
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:05 PM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
From a micro 3-channel to a T-Rex? My opinion is, that's a very bad move, but good luck. It's your money. The T-Rex helis are pretty stable but extremely sensitive and twitchy. I would highly recommend flying a fixed pitch heli first, I don't think you have any idea what you're getting into. Save yourself a TON of money and buy a cheap Falcon 40 to learn on first while you build the T-Rex. Trust me on this.
Hi
You think the Rex series helis are twitchy?
How is your Rex heli set up as all the ones ive flown 450, 500, 600 havent imho been sensitive or twitchy
Take care
Hank
shin is offline Find More Posts by shin
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:46 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,366 Posts
go for this:
http://www.helipross.com/t-rex-450-pro-super-combo.html
the super combo comes with everything except TX and RX

and get this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tem-w-o-Servos
Put in basket, it's $149

With EMS shipping from helipross will be slightly more expensive but it is the latest and greatest align heli, maybe you should buy the belt version for a initial learner.

Good luck!!!
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:47 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,366 Posts
oh yeah, get a sim
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
Hi
You think the Rex series helis are twitchy?
How is your Rex heli set up as all the ones ive flown 450, 500, 600 havent imho been sensitive or twitchy
Take care
Hank
The Align head is designed for 3D and does have very abrupt response. It's tuned down with the transmitter. There are other heads that have much smoother response and more granularity; Thunder Tiger is the first that comes to mind.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:23 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
Yup, the TT mini-titan is a good alternative - but parts availability might not be as high, and the difference isn't huge.

Quote:
buy a cheap Falcon 40
This is a version of the well loved ESky Honey Bee FP. FP (Fixed Pitch) helis are a good half-way house between toys and an expensive CP heli like the TRex. They are much tougher and simpler, but limited to light winds only. I'd highly recommend one as they'll pay for themselves many times over by letting you learn the basics on machine that doesn't break when you crash.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I still fly an HBFP. With a few mods, they are carefree flying. If I crash, it's $2 and 5 minutes to fix.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions -- Bought Tx and Sim!

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions! I still haven't decided on which heli to get, but have just purchased the DX6i and the Phoenix sim. I should be able to start my training on it next week!

As for the heli, I know there are several "which one is right for me?" threads, and I don't intend to start another one here. I will keep the T-Rex in mind as a possible future upgrade. In the meantime, I'll look for a good non-coaxial starter heli, perhaps the Falcon 40 as suggested though I'm having trouble finding a good source for it. Seems to be out of stock lots of places.

Thank you all again!!!