HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:32 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
P-51D: Drop Tanks & 500 LB. Bombs!

This is my most recent mod on the "Mustang"! 75 gal. Drop Tanks & 500 LB. Bombs

I've decided to add a set of 75 gal. Drop Tanks with operational release Pylons. Already having 10 servos in the "Mustang" I wasn't interested in running a pull cable to another servo for in-air drops. Instead I went with a static set-up so I could still release them manually if I wanted to.

UP-DATE 7/25/2010: I managed to get the Bombs done this weekend! These come as exploding units, but because I am committed to the static mount on this plane, I decided to make them one piece.
NOTE: I used Krylon Camouflage Olive #4293 as opposed to the Model Master Olive Drab. There's not an appreciable difference in color, and getting 8 oz. more for the same price was a "no brainer!"

During the process of waiting for glue and paint to dry I decided to fire up the Lexmark and make some decals. In the process of making a couple for the bombs, I made up a Fueling decal for the Drop Tanks also.

P 51 Mustang Drop Tanks (2 min 17 sec)
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Attachments
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
this whole thing was just crazy...... in the best way possible.

beautiful work, beautiful plane, why cant you live next door to me, man the things i could learn.
your rebuild of the dsr retracts was interesting, i ordered all the metal parts for mine but i found out i had to knock out a pin and enlarge a hole to fix them, i was too scared to even attempt it, so now i have all the servos and replacement parts just sitting there.

again, congrats on a good looking plane and mods!!!
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:46 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme21 View Post
this whole thing was just crazy...... in the best way possible.

beautiful work, beautiful plane, why cant you live next door to me, man the things i could learn.
your rebuild of the dsr retracts was interesting, i ordered all the metal parts for mine but i found out i had to knock out a pin and enlarge a hole to fix them, i was too scared to even attempt it, so now i have all the servos and replacement parts just sitting there.

again, congrats on a good looking plane and mods!!!
Thanks for the complement!

You had me stumped in the hole enlargement thing until I got to thinking? The Gen1 legs have smaller pivot pins then the Gen2 and the new Gen3 Titans have.(see pic) If that's the case then you probably have all plastic gears too?

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:34 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Yes I too wish I was your next door neighbor!!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member