HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2003, 10:55 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Bad day, very bad day....

Well, it was windy all day, but the winds calmed and i grabed my pico cub and wen't flying.

I did a take off, and it climbed nciely, but as soon as i climbed to about40 feet, i felt a STONG gust of wind and it blew my little cub right into some power lines with a loud SMACK!

She fell 40 feet right to the ground. smashed cowl, wing strut mound ripped from fuse, and both rudder and elevator hinges broke and i had asmall tear in the LE.

Into the shop, fixed her up after 30 min of work, tyr again, flew fine out of my hand, then dove directly into the ground and i had no control.

I had not noticed that the RX antenna had ripped off, and i lost control after 30 feet of flying.

She escaped with no damage. And i found a RX andtenna and put it on.

3rd try, flew fine. did about 5 min of stall, turn, tests to make sure she was flying ok. and she was flying perfect, then, i cut the power, and pionted the nose straght down, to see if my trims were all ok, she dove, and i could not pull up, 100 feet right into some very hard dirt. broke the motor mound, smashed the cowel and GB.

grrrrrr, im realy upset, they all seemed to be WAY to unlikely. and i will be darned if my motor mound Epoxy just set up sticky....

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:06 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
3 flights with one plane on a single day. Sounds not too too bad to me. :-)
or
a bad day flying is still better than a good day working?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:06 PM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
Crash

Thomas,

Sorry to hear about your day of flying. It sounds like my typical outing. But there is always the silver lining. You got some great experience at repairs today! Right???

KonstantKrash
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:09 PM
Why yes, I DO work for GP
Danville Vermilion, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2002
326 Posts
Me too!

I just finished a Ripmax Evolution Start E-glider last night, and the weather finally cleared this afternoon so I took it out for a test flight. Checked everything out and gave 'er a toss.

The plane nosed up right out of my hand, snpped halfway over, and fell to earth, completing about half of a cartwheel. "I haven't screwed up a test flight this badly in years" I though to myself. Upon opening the plane, the problem was obvious. I apparently hadn't pushed the battery down onto its velcro retainer well enoug, because the 7-cell 2000 mah Nicad was pushed all the way back as far as it could go - basically centered on the wing's TE. This is about 8" back of where it's supposed to be. Apparently, it shifted under the acceleration of my launch toss, moving the C.G. back about 2 inches. Pretty well explains the behavior.

The damage is pretty light. A small stress crack in the fuse under the wing mount blindnut, a stripped elevator servo, and a broken antenna seem to be the total. It's gonna be a pain to fix that elevator servo, but the rest will be esy, and she should be ready to try again in a couple of days...
FlightofSong is offline Find More Posts by FlightofSong
Old Jun 04, 2003, 10:30 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,541 Posts
I would have quit for the day after the powelines OUCH!
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2003, 10:35 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
theflyman2, sorry to hear your sad experience.

Pls stand tall, this is not the end of the world. Hope next time would be better!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO