Closed Thread
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,852 Posts
Question
what usual setting are used when coupling elevator to flaperons

and do they differ from airfoil to airfoil? say for a RG15 foil.... if I want a frontside plan to snap thru a pylon turn.. I know the basics on how to couple flaperons (i.e. flaperons down a couple degrees, elevator up a few degrees)

I guess my question is ..what are the rules of thumb you all use? (if there are any)

and how can you tell when you've put in too much of one or the other... ? or not enough? just trying to optimize my settings..

thanks
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:42 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
You can spend a lot of time setting up snap-flap correctly on a given airplane. Essentially I eyeball it at the outset and then tweak the amount of down travel on the flaperons until max efficiency is achieved (sharpest turn with least loss of speed). You will want to program in some deadband around center as well so you're not pulling brakes while flying level. Also, make sure your elevator stick is set up so that you don't have excess throw - otherwise you'll never get to pulling full snap flap because you're never pulling full elevator.

As you increase the snapflap, you'll get more momentum out of the turn until you hit the max efficiency. More than that and it will start to burn off speed in the turns. Dial it back down at that point.

Most of the above was related to me by Target and I found it extremely helpful.

EDIT - PS my RG15 planes have liked snap flap, but a few milimeters. The amount will vary dependent on the width of the control surfaces relative to the wing, CG and I believe tail moment. Your best bet is to find someone with the same plane and cop their settings.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:11 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,852 Posts
thanks D. Now if I can find someone with an old renegade.....
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
usually I adjust the magic setting to 4.5
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:59 AM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
thanks D. Now if I can find someone with an old renegade.....
Go to CR Aircraft. Chip may have one or he would be glad to set you up with a ARF or kit.

E...
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:16 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage View Post
usually I adjust the magic setting to 4.5
Mine go to 11.
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick