HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:11 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Idea
SYMA S107 SpeedMods -Post yours, too!

My site has tonnes of S107 mods and info--

but read this thread through- many members have proven, and in some cases, debunked my modifications.
Minigun Movie Prop M134 LIVE VIDEO (1 min 18 sec)

Support RCGroups-
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Sep 03, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Amazingly, you still don't go into blade strikes!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Now, on takeoff,

she's gonna squirt forward like crazy and then settle in like all coaxials do, if you keep going straight.

But now cut a corner, and another.

It's HAULING NOW, huh?
Crashed it, didn't you? So did I!

Bulk of pics removed, 12-31
I think we may have a contender for World's Fastest Coaxial Helicopter.
Last edited by killbucket; Dec 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: ...taking apart flybars as we speak...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
This is fascinating stuff! So many variables to tinker with on these machines.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
The SkyHarley is now a handful,

The speed increases like crazy coming out of a tight turn, as the nose dips and the rotor wash ends up behind, rather than under the copter.
It takes a complete different flying technique, because it is flat-out cooking if you don't keep your head. Too fast for inside the house, I'd say.

If you keep direction changes nice and smooth, back off when turning, it stays at a reasonable pace. Snap it around, and you can build momentum like crazy.

Everything I've read about coaxial helicopters so far, says forward speed is limited by physics,
and higher speed is all but impossible... maybe they should say 'forward acceleration is limited without aerobatic tricks' or something.
I'd love to get a gymnasium, and a radar gun together with one modded like this, and do a few howl-bys.
No, I haven't explored doing this to the already 'faster' Firebird in Blue...I spent the day playing with THIS one!

Last edited by killbucket; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:21 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Apr 2010
101 Posts
I wonder if lighter flybar weights is the secret to the Firebird's speed as you say the s107 and Firebird appear identical in construction.
guitarded is offline Find More Posts by guitarded
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I haven't quantified it yet,

but I think THAT's all tail motors getting better because they're getting better. Or possibly a higher spec, but I'd say the former.
Just setting up an exclusive color is enough of a feat!

The flybar weights appear and weigh the same.

Keep in mind that if you do the flybar mod alone, she's fairly stable for indoor. Add the nose weight, and you can break off bits-

I just smacked into a 200lb lamp. It didn't budge.

Now I'm ordering tail feathers...
Last edited by killbucket; Apr 12, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: if you can knock stuff off, it's fast enough. pic just now, by killbucket, hosted at air-sharp.com
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
kb, here's some S107 parts with FREE shipping. The tail feathers you need are there in yellow, but you'll be painting them black anyway.

http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/rc-helis-parts/syma-s107

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
Hey all, new guy here.

I've been flying my S107 since early March, lurking since a bit before then. I did this flybar mod last night and boy does she take off now! A word of caution to others, BE CAREFUL! I smacked the front of my TV going pretty durn quick out of a banked turn. After gingerly wiping off any scuff marks on the screen and checking the pixels with a full white background, everything seems fine, but I did get a heck of a scare! I am now grounded from flying on that side of the basement until the weights go back in.

She sure is zippy now, rock it back and forth, using the natural braking of the heli and exaggerate the heck out of it. Lots of blade strikes and wall crashes, but when you nail it, it's awesome. I wish a I had a gym.
mistabman is offline Find More Posts by mistabman
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Next Mod: Spot the mod.

What is 'wrong' with this '107?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ypJ_eiM0M
San Huan's 6020-series has the same boom diameter,
but a bigger motor...The boom was CA-glued into the S107's chassis.
Minus the tail supports, it's right at stock balance, but GOES!

...and we'll see if there's any issues, in a day or so.

This one still has the flybar weights. I may experiment with BB's to try different weighting.
Last edited by killbucket; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: pics by killbucket, hosted at air-sharp.com
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
I like things :3
Tromsų
Joined May 2007
190 Posts
does this thread include 6020-, 980x and other coaxials? :3
bongmaster is offline Find More Posts by bongmaster
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
S107-focus,

in particular.
A coaxial is a coaxial, but I'd like to keep specific modifications for the Syma S107's and upcoming clones only here.

since the '107 is the newest (pretty much) and known for SLOW, it's a good thing to keep it to things that work specifically on IT.

But the info, as indicated, should apply for the most part to any coax.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
I like things :3
Tromsų
Joined May 2007
190 Posts
kools
bongmaster is offline Find More Posts by bongmaster
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
The best overall mod is

that tail boom swap.
This really turns into the ultimate indoor with it. Fly it smoothly, and you can really get 'er going!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:17 AM
Joined Apr 2009
25 Posts
Man, that flybar weight mod is intense! It's like taking it out of training mode. I tried it first without putting the plastic pieces and screws back in. WAY too fast for me! Put those back on and left the weights out, and it's perfect. My house isn't big enough for any more than that.
rt450 is offline Find More Posts by rt450
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I want to try

putting a steel shot or BB into each side, to get an intermediate effect...not so violent on direction-change.

You have GOT to try the rear motor swap, -The 6020's tail motor makes the hapless '107 chassis sail.