HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,399 Posts
From Matt Roberts' twitter feed (BBC MotoGP presenter).

Quote:
VR said that his riding style is not suited to the Ducati and nothing he tries seems to work... worrying times for both

VR on his crew: "They have the same problem. They've spent 30 years turning bikes into winners but none of their tricks work on the Ducati"
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Telling comments there. What he is not saying is if Ducati are open to allowing them to change the bike design to be more like a Japanese bike.
Aren't they running the stressed member engine chassis? Ducati patented this design a couple years ago for a bike that has no chassis. This might be the problem area, lack of compliance in the "chassis" because recall they said the bike is too stiff before contributing to chatter and loss of front feel. I wonder if this is true.
I love the concept but it just might not be the right design for this job or at all. Sometimes you have to give components dedicated applications otherwise they don't work efficiently at any one task.
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,399 Posts
The strange thing here is in FP1 in the wet, VR was 2nd quickest, with a 'stiff' chassis, yet when things dry out, he is languishing with the CRTs.

You would think that with a stiff chassis that it would be better in the dry than the wet, with a flexy chassis being more compliant in low grip levels ala enduro bikes.

The bonkers world of motorcycle dynamics. (Wish David Crolla was still around, I'd have loved to have picked his brain over this).
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
I see they are running the aluminum chassis the more traditional bike. In a slow mo shot you can see the front end push out on VR. Who knows its a weird situation.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
go crutchlow! that boy is ON it
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:57 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Cal Crutchlow had ball tearer of a ride... sooo close to taking a factory honda scalp... good job, and nice to see another Pom up there... it's been along time... well, since they've been that close to the front anyway...

Casey had another fantastic ride, off the pace a little during the weekend, decided not to ride in the morning warm up to save his tyre allocation for the race, and then really turned a bad start around and made the race his... awsome...

but for me, the best part of the race was the first few laps... watching Bradl slog it out with some fast regulars... and best of all... Nicky Hayden... he was running around the outside of Pedrosa, shovin it here there and everywhere... He's havin a good start to the season, even if the final result isn't really showing it...

And what happened with Ben Spies..? not a good way to keep your factory ride for 2013... Ben was running really fast in pre season testing, only just behind the times of Jorge... Lucky it's real long season, and it's only round 2... He's a far better rider than his cuurent results show aswell...

moto3 was a cracker too... except the two aussie youngsters crashing out from the pointy end of the pack... but nearly half the feild did too... Fenati looks to be the next big thing out of italy... good on the young bloke... it still amazes me how race smart these kids are...

Roll on Estoril...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Well in the end Hayden finished with VR so that probably shows the bikes are pretty much the same in terms of tire wear and capability. He did put on a good first few laps so Hayden is on it as well.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
OT:

in Moto 3 did you see the performance of Romano Fenati at his second race in the World Championchip?

In Qatar, first race in the WC for him, he got the second place, Sunday he got first with 30" over the second....

Really promising indeed!

Ciao
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old May 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,399 Posts
If you are on Twitter, for a bit of fun, follow @PaddockMouse (the mouse formerly known as Mouse Crutchlow)

Done as a bit of fun by the mouse, Cal took umbrage to him, now he squeeks on all the activities in the MotoGP paddock.

It's been quite amusing following him.
Old May 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Oh still early for Ben, although i'll say since they got him to clean up his riding style.He deosn't seem to have the nothing but bad luck.LOL

Casey played it smart this time,kept something in reserve.Still saying arm pump is still a factor for him. He might be able to manage it though if he keeps playing it smart.
Nicky put on a show for a short time and showed what the Duc can do when it isin't wounded.LOL
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old May 06, 2012, 06:52 AM
London, England
Joined Jul 2010
72 Posts
The Honda's will probably disappear in the distance, but.........GO CAL get that first podium !!
PUMA937 is offline Find More Posts by PUMA937
Old May 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,399 Posts
Blast from the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOJqz...eature=related

This kind of racing we need to see more of.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Apr 2007
198 Posts
I see that now they have a new frame Ducati are working on a new engine.

Maybe they should lease a Yamaha, their satelite bikes are going real good.

Peter
Pedro51 is offline Find More Posts by Pedro51
Old May 08, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Rossi could be retiring,this really bites! Read he could be retiring after his home race.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old May 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,399 Posts
News from the Paddock mouse.

Quote:
Paddock Mouse@PaddockMouse
RT: ValeYellow46 ciao guys, the rumors about my retirement at the end of the year are not true!see you in Le Mans