HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:43 PM
Indy
Joined Dec 2006
139 Posts
AMA handed over their road-racing operation to DMG- Daytona Motorsports Group (Owned by NASCARS's France family). DMG already had a history of splitting american prototype sportscar racing with the most awful looking "prototypes" you've ever seen, and cheap engines to boot.

Last year was a full blown fiasco, with the lowlight of the season a "safety car", which pulled on the track at Laguna in the blind spot behind a hill, without warning to riders and enough marshalls to wave flags. Lucky no one was killed. Next on the list of bonehead moves was allowing the 1200cc Harley/Buell to run in the 600 Supersport class
with a 15 HP advantage

There is no alternative, other than to watch WSB. Everytime someone attempts to NASCARize another motorsport, it always seems to be ruined. Look at IndyCars and you'll see.

Now exiting my soapbox and taking my anti "managed competition" anger with me...
BadSign is offline Find More Posts by BadSign
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSign View Post
AMA handed over their road-racing operation to DMG- Daytona Motorsports Group (Owned by NASCARS's France family). DMG already had a history of splitting american prototype sportscar racing with the most awful looking "prototypes" you've ever seen, and cheap engines to boot.

Last year was a full blown fiasco, with the lowlight of the season a "safety car", which pulled on the track at Laguna in the blind spot behind a hill, without warning to riders and enough marshalls to wave flags. Lucky no one was killed. Next on the list of bonehead moves was allowing the 1200cc Harley/Buell to run in the 600 Supersport class
with a 15 HP advantage

There is no alternative, other than to watch WSB. Everytime someone attempts to NASCARize another motorsport, it always seems to be ruined. Look at IndyCars and you'll see.

Now exiting my soapbox and taking my anti "managed competition" anger with me...
Yep they even tried a pace motorcycle.LOL Or how about the crash rule.If the riders bike goes down,they had to go back to the pits to have teched before they can go back out.So even a simple lowside meant that riders race was truly over for that session. I think they killed the true AMA raing on purpose.So nascar can get more shine.You that translates to more money.
They have tookin over the speed channel for sure.LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitham69 View Post
I thought that was Torrance for minute

Good find.

Swheels:: So what the deal the US superbike championship? have they split into two faction? are some teams staying the AMA and the other going for the nascar route? Or has the AMA completly desolved?

over here the racing in ireland is looking real dodgy with most track being road course the heath and safty freek are getting involved and trying to ban all the race, First one already been cancled. i have to admit they have some balls racing on those circults, two little vids.

http://www.highlights-video.com/vide...-setanta-600cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3po4aI72ovQ
It's been rumored that the big manufactures was gonna break away and start there own american racing league. I don't know what happened with that.Became less interested in the motorcycle race scene in the U.S. Well except in the Daytona sportbike class.Only because one of the tracks i race at is a owned by Josh Herrin's family. GREAT GUY GREAT FAMILY by the way....

I love that vid those guys are NUTZZZZZZ.Sorta reminds me of some of the AMA tracks,except without the curbs,trees and buildings...
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
hey you guys in Europe... how badly is that Iceland volcano affecting your day-to-day lives? apparently it is causing the next motogp round to be postponed.
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:44 AM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
If your not catching a flight then no differance If you work in the flight indutstry then your screwed.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
127 Posts
cool stuff, thanks for posting those links...

The video of the race, btw, was insane! REally intense racing.
motonovice is offline Find More Posts by motonovice
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
POSTPONED !!!!! NO...........!!!!!!

With the new testing rules in place, you know the ones that don't allow the teams to actually ride a bike around a circuit..... it seems like a year has passed waiting for the season to start..... please don't make me wait any longer.....

Damn Volcanoes......
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey B View Post
POSTPONED !!!!! NO...........!!!!!!

With the new testing rules in place, you know the ones that don't allow the teams to actually ride a bike around a circuit..... it seems like a year has passed waiting for the season to start..... please don't make me wait any longer.....

Damn Volcanoes......
They've already had 1 race.don't tell me you missed it???

Will somebody please go and put a lid on that volcano,just for a couple of days.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:55 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
Im with BadSign on the anti managed competition theme...and MotoGP is going that way as well.
I see Ducati filed a Patent for a street legal chassisless motorcycle design which I believe is aimed at the proposed 2012 season as MotoGP will begin to allow street spec equipment on track as part of their brilliant cost cutting measures. Along with spec tires and fewer motors we will see this class get watered down to a meer high spec superbike class rather than the all out factory wars of the past...like it was intended to be and should remain. That is what Im affraid of, I would hate to see that happen.

Ducati will likely be on top with the most GP like base design (probably) in the field since the GP10 and previous bikes are already chassisless designs with stressed engine cases. The rest will have to figure out a way around this patent, brilliant move. So if your in the market for a Ducati I'd say the best street bikes are yet to come and they will be homologated super street GP replicas a lot like the Desmosedici RR, what a monster! I hope that is the case

I would like to see the tires go green like Yokohama have done for the GT3 Cup Porsche class. That way we will see virtually petrollium free race tires and less restrictions hopefully.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Last edited by Chris Nicastro; Apr 19, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Im with BadSign on the anti managed competition theme...and MotoGP is going that way as well.
I see Ducati filed a Patent for a street legal chassisless motorcycle design which I believe is aimed at the proposed 2012 season as MotoGP will begin to allow street spec equipment on track as part of their brilliant cost cutting measures. Along with spec tires and fewer motors we will see this class get watered down to a meer high spec superbike class rather than the all out factory wars of the past...like it was intended to be and should remain. That is what Im affraid of, I would hate to see that happen.

Ducati will likely be on top with the most GP like base design (probably) in the field since the GP10 and previous bikes are already chassisless designs with stressed engine cases. The rest will have to figure out a way around this patent, brilliant move. So if your in the market for a Ducati I'd say the best street bikes are yet to come and they will be homologated super street GP replicas a lot like the Desmosedici RR, what a monster! I hope that is the case

I would like to see the tires go green like Yokohama have done for the GT3 Cup Porsche class. That way we will see virtually petrollium free race tires and less restrictions hopefully.
I thought about trying that design for one of my midbike builds.Then reality kicked in and told me this wouldn't be good for my health on the race track.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
Here is the patent illustration they filed which looks a lot like the Desmo RR CAD you posted but also looks a lot like the GP09 machine. Either way you can see the direction they are going in and that only means if they follow through we will see awesome bikes on the street soon.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Feb 2007
335 Posts
I finally got to watch the GP2 race the other day. That looks like it's going to be a fantastic class. With the motor, tyre and other restrictions, it really puts an emphasise on the chassis, rider and team.
It was a real exciting race, like the 125, and 250 of old, where 1st place falls to 6th because of all the slipstreaming.
magnuts is offline Find More Posts by magnuts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Here is the patent illustration they filed which looks a lot like the Desmo RR CAD you posted but also looks a lot like the GP09 machine. Either way you can see the direction they are going in and that only means if they follow through we will see awesome bikes on the street soon.
yep looks like the direction they will be going in.Pulled this from a site awhile back but can't remember where.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:59 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
I'm sure the Japanese brands are planning a similar platform to compete or Ducati will have a lock on the season and gain much more market share. Its going to be an interesting couple of years to come for sure.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:58 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
No GP this weekend due to that ruddy volcano . 2nd of May for the next race in Jerez.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
Well thats good news for me I return on that day!