HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2003, 06:59 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
How do I know if my rx battery is toast?

I have a brand new 600mah nicad rx pack that comes standard with the hitec radios. I'm thinking it's toast. I fully charged it using the wall charger that comes stock with it, it charged up to 5.4+ volts and then lasted only about 5-6 minutes? I recharged it used it for about 10 minutes, rechecked its voltage and it was at 5.10 volts. Is there anyway to know for sure? I called Hitec and they told me to send it in, but that means downtime and a long turnaround I'm sure??? At it may be fine,,,just acting strange. Any ideas or suggestions?
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2003, 01:03 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
Do you have a charger with an amphour display and cycle capability? A regular peak charger without a display will not do.
Maybe one of the guys has one you could use to test your pack?
Since you are in SA, check with Jim at 2nd Chance.

Charge the pack normally than put ion the cycler and record discharge and recharge amps.
Recently, a fellow Prop Buster lost an airplane due to a bad rx pack. During the post-mortem, I cycled his rx pack - 58mAh out, 89mAh in - for a 4x500mAh pack! BAD.
Crash
crashsiegel is offline Find More Posts by crashsiegel
Old Jun 04, 2003, 01:15 AM
St. Catharines, Canada
Joined Mar 2003
260 Posts
I'm not sure what other kind of charging equipment you have but the easiest thing to do is discharge and charge the pack several times (cycle) and if there is no noticable improvement you may have got a lemon. Check the temperature to make sure your not overcharging. I recieved a battery with my JR unit once and it was a dud and it turned out that it was old and past its shelf life but your problem could be something else.
nupeswv is offline Find More Posts by nupeswv
Old Jun 04, 2003, 08:39 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I do have a charger with a display, it's not the cycler variety though. It's charging full at 5.47 volts and for the life of me I can't remember the voltage when it went dead. As for a discharger I could use auto bulbs right?

I need to pick up some goodies from 2nd Chance anyway. While I'm there, I'll asked them to test it.

thanks guys,,,,,
Old Jun 04, 2003, 09:20 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,949 Posts
Unless you really need an rx pack (e.g. electric soarer where you want long flight time after LVC, or IC of course ) I reckon a UBEC is well worth the money. Less weight, never have to worry about charging/cycling/etc. ...

I recently put a UBEC in a 14 cell model and the control response feels a little sharper as well, I think the UBEC maintains voltage much better under load than the 500 mAh nicd pack did.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 07, 2003, 08:18 PM
Rxb
Olympia WA U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
48 Posts
Are you sure its not the Tx pack. Hitec ships 600's in there transmitters.

Rob
Rxb is offline Find More Posts by Rxb
Old Jun 07, 2003, 11:29 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Nah, I'm sure it's the rx pack.