HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:19 AM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
Discussion
My build of Egrette a Rhine pusher tug and barge

I usually only build warships but I decided over Christmas to build a tug. I built a springer hull and a bit of superstructure but, never completed it. I stopped because I saw a plan for a crawler crane and barge on the Springer forum. This set me wanting to build a scale tug. I got a second hand plan for the Rhine pusher tug Egrette published in Model Boats in the UK.
The boat is of all plasticard construction. I built it with a lot of internal ribs and used plastic weld in liberal quantities this has given the starved dog effect that you see on modern welded ships. I will see how effective it is when it's painted.
I can't sail this weekend so I am making a barge from 6mm plywood for the crane more pics to follow.
Bart
Barthez is offline Find More Posts by Barthez
Last edited by Barthez; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:46 AM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
A few pics of the crawler crane cab, pasticard for the most part with blocks of balsa shaped to aid the skin being bent to shape. I will make the boom from square plasticard tubing.
The tracks were made from plasticard. I made four formers then used a jig to attach strips at an even spacing to simulate the tracks, I was about .5 mm out on the last track, the larger gap is hardly noticeable.
bart
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,227 Posts
Very nice Barthez. Please keep posting you progress.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
thanks pops, wish I had seen your heavy lift barge post before I started on my crane. I built the basic barge this weekend out of ply wood and given it a quick coat of resin to seal it so I can get the ballast right.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Barthez what do you cut the plastic with? Your work is very nice and the boat and the crane are looking great. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:23 PM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
Thanks Pete, I score the plasticard with a stanley knife then bend it to snap it off.
Bart
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:24 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Barthez, I remember the article and plans for the Egrete in "Model Boats" from quite a few years ago. I believe it was written by Davis Metcalf?

A very interesting model.

I still have that issue somewhere---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,472 Posts
Great work putting all this together.
Especially so, using "plasticard".

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:06 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Very nicely done so far. With all that plastic bracing, almost looks real. Just need to paint that interior with some steel paint or greencoated like in the shipyard. That crane is going to be a peice of art in of itsself!! Keep the photos a comming and thanks for sharing.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Apr 17, 2010, 05:24 PM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
Thanks guys
Kaptain, your are correct it is the David Metcalf plan that was in model boast in 1988.

Work got in the way of model building this week but I still managed to get a bit done on the barge. I am experimenting with a water ballast tank. I did a test with two plastic containers filled with water. I made a tank in the centre of the barge and coated the inside with resin.
I put a lid on it but and set it in the test tank (wifes pond) It would not sink !! The tank only got a few mm in it and the barge stayed where it was. I suspect its the buoyancy in the plywood. If I pressed down on the hull the tank would fill so I know the air can escape.
The water was only going to be part of the total ballast, so I will try again tomorrow with some shingle ballast to help the barge sink to its water line, before I stick the deck in place.

The bow of the boat has four roller fairleads, The plan calls for them to be built from plastic tube. I decided to build mine from brass as I would be passing ropes from through them, I needed mine to be more durable.

I will order the metal for my running gear this week and try and get the barge fininshed.
bart
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:42 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,285 Posts
Nice fairlead! And a cool build.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old May 25, 2010, 07:39 AM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
I have been a bit busy with work and other hindrances to modeling of late, I have made some progress with my tug. I made a simple interior for the bridge and completed the scissor mechanism from left over acrylic green house glazing and made up the guardrails.
Next job is to fit the running gear and make up the smaller fittings and fit leds for lights.
Can't wait to paint it and make the bridge detail stand out.
Bart
Old May 25, 2010, 01:31 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Thanks for giving the date on the Egrete article, Bart.

It has saved me hours of rummaging through piles of magazines---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 25, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,472 Posts
I missed the roller chocks shown earlier... very nice.
As is the pilot house details.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 25, 2010, 05:12 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
What is plasticard and where do you get it. Looks like great boat building stuff. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale