HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:09 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
We are going to fly later in the day at 5PM and see if that gives us better flying conditions. I picked up a new video camera so I hope to have some better videos this time. I also I almost have the mount for an on board recorder so hopefully I'll have some inflight video.
I always fly first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening - the wind here in Melbourne, Australia - is consistently at it's lowest at these times of day.
The downside is that visibility is always reduced due to lack of light - especially now here in the winter when it's pretty much always overcast.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:50 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
I lost my huck against an early evening overcast cloud bank. Disappeared completely for about 1.5seconds. Was only about 100 feet away too! Might have flown across a patch of fading sun,, I dont remember,,, end result was a depron mushroom cloud.

Waiting on parts for my mig21,, then soon I will be tempting fate again...
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:17 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topforce View Post
I lost my huck against an early evening overcast cloud bank. Disappeared completely for about 1.5seconds. Was only about 100 feet away too! Might have flown across a patch of fading sun,, I dont remember,,, end result was a depron mushroom cloud.

Waiting on parts for my mig21,, then soon I will be tempting fate again...
Sorry to hear that. 1.5 seconds is of course a life time for an RC model. especially if it's flying relatively low.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
I know what your talking about, in the video I posted a couple of times I got a little disoriented with the cloud cover. I think I'm going to put some yellow bands on the fuselage and rudder and see if that helps. My buddy wants me to put some LED navigation lights on it, may be a good idea. It looks like this Sunday will be a good day to fly I have the onboard camera ready so maybe I'll have some video to post. I wanted to fly before Sunday but high wind and thunderstorms have kept me form fly.

slaanesh

I too fly in the morning and later evening almost till the sun goes down but this has been a storm filled Summer for us so far. As I type this a thunderstorm is about to hit and Saturday is going to be the same as well. I think I need to move to the desert! Heat I can handle.
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:20 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
I thought I would give you guys an update, last week was washed out do to storms and flooding. We had a river of water running threw our flying field do to the 7 inches of rain we received on Friday and Saturday. It took until Tuesday for the water to reseed to get to the field. So I went flying Thursday night with a couple of friends. I setup the Huck for take off a normal ROG the grass was a bit tall so I let it pick up speed longer when she lifted I released back pressure then I heard a BANG! The motor went silent the Huck yawed to the left and did a ground loop. I got her back under control but by that time I lost all my airspeed. I gave the Huck down elevator to try to pick up some air speed and then tried a belly landing but she hit hard on the nose. For the most part the air frame is intact and can be repaired but the intake tube took the most damage. What I believe happen from the bang I heard was from the motor and fan mount. It came out of the fan shroud and tore up the intake tube. I have not taken it apart yet but a quick inspection it looks easy to repair. To night I'm going to tear the Huck down and look a the internal damage. I'll post some pic's later tonight.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Here are some pic's of the damage.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:13 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
And some more.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:53 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Bugger!
A bit of a pain. Maybe it would be easier and better to order a replacement fuselage shell?
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:49 AM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
I was think of that but I'm not looking forward to removing the wings! I use 30 minute epoxy and filled the spar hole vary well. Lastly I called Hobby-Lobby once before on a part and they told me they don't carry replacement parts. The only way I could get a replacement part is if they have a scratch & dent kit. I was also thinking of going directly to Alfa and see if I could order one from them. If not I'll do the old BEAT IT TO FIT.. PAINT IT TO MATCH method but the huck will fly again. I'm just not happy about the motor mount coming out of the shroud. It looks like to me they installed the mount then wicked thin CA into the joint. I'm going to glue the mount back in and pin the mounts to the shroud. I also have to buy a new fan one blade has a crack in it. This bummed me out it took me 4 hours over 2 days to get the fan balanced and centered in the shroud. I had no vibration what so ever threw the RPM range and the fan to shroud gap was less then .700mm and the blades never touched the shroud wall. Sorry I need some cheese with my Wine! I know this is the life of an RCer! and if you can't handle crashing planes and spending time and money to fly again then go play Golf or collect stamps! Sorry for all you Golfers out there! I meant no disrespect I tried golf and I SUCK at it so I move to RC.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 03:29 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
Does not look too bad. Shame they cant be repaired to look new again.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:41 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Get in contact with Alfa Model. I am sure they can help you out with spares.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:47 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
I've been doing some flight tests with my Alfa Model Ta-183 Huckebein.
If you are hand launching your model, you may find that a stock setup will pitch up straight away. I found the following useful for hand launching your model successfully.

* The amount of reflex on the ailerons as described in the instructions is too much (5-6mm). Reduce this to about 2-3mm. Even better, have separate servos for each aileron so that you can control this easily. I use my flap switch to adjust reflex.
* Set the centre of gravity about 5mm in front of the marked location. There a two notches on the fuselage, pretty much in line with the very rear of the canopy which marks the default CoG location.
* Have a few clicks of down trim on the elevator.
* Use only 50% throttle at launch. The Ta-183 has the wing-area so it will glide like this. I am using an MPJet 25/25-26 with the 60/15 EDF which is rated at about 120W. If you are using a more powerful setup adjust your initial amount of throttle accordingly. Go down to 33% or even 25% throttle.
* When you launch your model, ensure that you throw it flat or even very slightly downwards. Give it a firm throw but a lot of power isn't necessary - accuracy of the throw is much more important.

If you follow this, you will find that the Ta-183 will move out quite nicely, sink a little but be relatively flat with no nasty pitching.

Gradually increase the throttle and you will be gaining speed until you are at full throttle and you can start climbing. You may need a bit more space for this approach but it's much better than pitching up, stalling and nosing in!

Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:27 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Hi Slaanesh

I just got back from a long road trip 4 weeks worth. But to answer your question about my huck no I have not fixed it yet. I was put on a project at work that took the last 2 months with very little time for the hobby. Now It's winter here as you know so I'm going to rebuild it. I like your mods you did I was thinking of trying to cut out some fowler flaps but know I think I'm going to go your route. Friday starts a 10 day vacation and I plan on working on the huck will keep you updated. But for you it is summer in Melbourne right? So happy flying and if you can send post some picks or videos. Talk to you soon.

Doug
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
GM
Caloundra, QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
15 Posts
New ta-183 opportunity

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your informative thread.

I am considering purchasing a second hand NIB Alfa TA-183 locally. Your thread is helping me to understand what I might be getting myself into as I have never owned/flown an EDF before, always been a prop and glider pilot (usually competent ).

Any advice on what to consider and or look out for before I purchase is appreciated, that is advice additional to your thread so far.

Regards,

GM
gmeekan is offline Find More Posts by gmeekan
Last edited by gmeekan; Dec 29, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:18 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,193 Posts
I would not get a crashed one unless it was super cheap, and only superficial cosmetic type damage. Also minimum flyable setup is an mpjet 4100kv motor on stock 3 blade fan. Anything less than that, and your going to struggle to stay in the air. Not that it would be slower and easier to fly, but it will be underpowered, and more difficult to fly!

My first choice would be NIB vintage kit. 2nd choice would be low hours great condition,, and seller willing to fly it to prove airworthy.

Absolutely last choice would be anything with any kind of damage, no matter how slight.

Its a tricky model. Somebody else's failure will not be a good start.