49 Posts
hey thanks you never know where i may show up
Oh and here is a couple pics
rverrcer is offline Find More Posts by rverrcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I would probably stay with a 13 or 14 inch on the 10 gram if using 6mm epp to help make it draggy. Little seems to get exponentially faster.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
man of many hats"but none fit"
USA, AZ, Roosevelt
Joined Feb 2010
49 Posts
Yes i agree about the prop size my biggest concern is weight to surface area.... Nothing worse than a brick as they fall to hard
Anyways just thought i'd see if anyone has tried smaller like 10 or 12 or even 14 inch and what their experince was So i am thinking to try 12 in first and adjust from there.... I think the 3gr servos and 180 might just work at around that size as i tried to use it on the 18 in but wasn't enough... although it did barly pull it around

Thanks again, rverrcer
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Actually, I was thinking 13"-14" WS not prop size. Although, the biggest prop the motor can safely handle works too for slowflight. I was thinking there would not be much weight difference between a 12" and 14" wingspan, but that the wingloading might be significantly better with the slightly bigger diameter.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
USA, AZ, Roosevelt
Joined Feb 2010
49 Posts
Oops ,my bad thought that was a lot for a 180 size lol... But i was considering the same thing: that is, with 14" then cut down if nessasary Or What about removeable rings at 1" intervals say 14 for slo and floaty then remove 1 or 2 for a zippy-yak..... Nahhhh ; much more fun building more!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:02 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,839 Posts
subscribed
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:54 AM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,485 Posts
I got to fly a pi Yak at E-Fly last weekend. A very fun little plane. I was surprised how well it flew, nice!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
782 Posts
Have one cut out, gotta glue it together

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Dan, it is still my favorite. There is a version of it for RCDeskpilot (sims forum). It is from my version which I think is just slightly more forward elevons and maybe a tiny bit more elevon area. On RCDC it is called the tymbre discus posts 610-616 about it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=610
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
I got to fly a pi Yak at E-Fly last weekend. A very fun little plane. I was surprised how well it flew, nice!
Now that is high praise right there! With all the models you have brought to us foamy guys, an "ok" from Leadfeather is kinda like a check ride with the Wright brothers!

Mark
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,839 Posts
Well, I spent some time out in the garage tonight and have the airframe completed on my piYak. This plane really is simple to build. I was going to order some epp for this build, but I've got one and a half bundles of FFF available so I just used what I had. I used a couple of cf spars on the bottom to support the wings. I may have to use one on the fuselage near the rudder to keep it from flexing into the elevons also. I won't have much time to work on this again until Saturday evening, but I should be able to maiden it on Sunday. Now I've got to figure out which motor to use. I've got a couple of GWS 2205-15's, a C20 I could steal from another plane, or two Dave North inspired rewound Blue Wonders I could remove from my Nutball or SloFly 28.
Oh, BTW, cg at roughly 25%???
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
M, 25% is what I fly at
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:41 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,110 Posts
Anybody EVER fly a disk that wasn't 25% CG ??? They all seem to balance there for me ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
One of the few constants in life perhaps...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
USA, AZ, Roosevelt
Joined Feb 2010
49 Posts
Ok, So here's my 14" Lilpiyak and it came out right at 4.5 oz and it flys great! In fact i have to say that after triming and playing with cg it flys so cool that i enjoy it every evening when it gets nice and calm out. i found that at this weight and size i can do more 3d moves like hovering and tourqe rolls easier than any thing else i have! and when i do dump it it comes out undamaged and i just toss it back up and go again Soooo much fun!
Thanks again, John
Oh and if anyone is interested this is my setup 14" dia, 10gr motor, 3- 5gr servos, a 10 amp esc, and 7035 prop with ar 6100 rec