http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=17
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:29 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
I built a pi bipe once and it flew ok, but it was hard to reference for me in the air. But the Yak fuse would probably help with that. Looks cool!

Mark
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:41 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I was going to make a whole new plane, but I decided it would be easy to change an already built one first. If I don't like it, It will be simple to take back off unless some unplanned flight issues cause too much damage.

BTW, this is an already great design, in fact it is my favorite.
I have just been wanting a biplane and some what ifs became reality.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:15 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
826 Posts
Another great model!
Sixter is online now Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
186 Posts
A PiYak with a College Diploma! Whoop!
Txskywriter is offline Find More Posts by Txskywriter
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
Woohoo! Now seriously, an Aggie diploma isn't a real diploma...

Ok I'm getting off topic now... but Hook 'em Horns!!!!
Last edited by aeronot; Aug 18, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:12 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,561 Posts
Here's my latest. Thanks Jim and Mark!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I will have a new plane finished when I get the building bug. I have to be in the right mood. I have the foam cut out, just need assembly and gear placement. It is inspired by about three different planes, the pentaplane, the firefly, and the Piyak. It will be my first completed prop in slot. It won't beat the PiYak, still my favorite plane at the moment, but it might be second runner up.(1st runner up as elevon/rudder planes is my elevon/simple delta) followed by the XP-39.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:23 AM
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
826 Posts
aeronot can you post a few pictures of your LED Light setup and info on the LED's, size and etc.

Thanks
Bobby
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:25 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
the lights are just 5mm LEDs with 1/8 watt 100 ohm resistors on all the non blinkers. No resistors on the blinker. I wire everything parallel with 30 gauge magnet wire. On this model, I buried all the wires and LEDs in the EPP so you can't see anything with pics. Just put a dedicated pair of wires on every LED and terminate all the positives and grounds together with a servo lead and plug it into an open channel on the rx.

None of it really hard, just takes a lot of friggin time. I love the results and being able to fly at night, but I would rather get a hot coffee enima than do the work sometimes!

I try to work lights into the intial build now as it seems to be a little easier working with the smaller pieces of the airframe before they are assembled.

I have thought about putting together a thread sometime on lighting a plane, but I never remember to take pics as I go along. Maybe the next time...

Mark
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:22 PM
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
826 Posts
aeronot Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
Also you can get nice, bright 5mm LED's from www.superbrightleds.com

Mark
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:32 PM
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
826 Posts
aeronot : I ordered a bunch of LED's from www.superbrightleds.com a few months ago Great place to get your LED's

Thanks
Bobby
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:30 PM
man of many hats"but none fit"
USA, AZ, Roosevelt
Joined Feb 2010
49 Posts
So, First off i must say thank you so much for a GREAT design! Aeronot
Been building fommies now about a year and this is the best yet as i can fly it in the campground that we host in the summer here in oregon under a heavy canopy of woods. My wife and i are fulltime Rver's so the size is also perfect!
When i built the first one out of 9mm epp all was good so i figured ok, Lets lighten it up a bit. So i built another with 6mm and 3.7 gr servos from heads up rc and used their headsup 250/ 2400kv motor w/7035 prop and 10g esc, small CF tubes x 2, and 6100e rec.... oh and a 500mah blue 7.4 lipo. It weighs 4.9 oz...
I can hardly wait to get some led's on it for this winter in AZ, The night skies are so clear and vast and people out in the dessert can see it from a good distance (really gets em going) LOL
So anyway what do you think of a 12 in w/ a 180,3.7s , and smaller batt ? has anyone tried going way smaller with success? and if so any ideas? I would really like to go smaller and lighter....

Thanks again,Regards, Travlin
rverrcer is offline Find More Posts by rverrcer
Last edited by rverrcer; Sep 28, 2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: left out authors name
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:17 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
706 Posts
Thanks Travlin, I love my piYak and fly it almost every day still. Great "fly any where any time" plane. If you travel to events, consider coming to our huge indoor event here in West Texas. Your piYak will be at home here with many others of it's kind!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299276

Mark