Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
BTW, did you notice that the plan canopy placement differs from the prototype. The canopy placement in the prototype gives a fun almost cartoonish appearance in my opinion, the placement of the canopy in the plan gives more of the muscle car look.
A cartoonish look for the Wolfie in the corner! a PDF comic fuse added!
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I wonder if there would be any flight difference. Not much more fuse up front. Had there been two to choose from, I don't know which I would have chosen. Both look good. I didn't realize it until mine was done.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I really liked the wannabee Triple Threat. I had planned already to add a rudder. Thank aeronot for this idea.

Here is an enhanced version of the maiden. I was playing with effects.

Here's the remix. Some of it is zoomed in a little bit which shows it better, some is just for fun.
PiYak Maiden remix.wmv (5 min 29 sec)

Here is a shortened enhance version of the second flight:

PiYak Short HD.wmv (1 min 44 sec)
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jun 27, 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added second vid
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:34 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Great video!
When I drew Mark's prototype, I changed the tail shape to the Yak-3.
Waiting for some EPP in the mail.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Low and close video from this evening:

PiYak Low and Slow.wmv (1 min 39 sec)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
This is the best all around flying plane I own for both goofy and lazy. It beats out the dart types and other NB types as it can do more both in wind and calm. The SD with rudder is pretty close...
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I flew three planes this evening. My my 16" Piyak with the 2100Kv turborix f1818 on 2s rhino 460 7035.

I flew my 20" simple delta on 3s 1200Kv BW 610 rhino with LEd strip lighting.

I flew my 20" bullseye RET delta special Dave North wind 16oz thrust turnigy 2730 10A on 2s abf 900's and three little lights from HK.

I started with the PiYak and ended with the SD. Rather breezy starting out at about 12mph and a little gusty to about 8mph with smaller gusts.

Since I am writing in this thread. Which one do you think performed the best? Correct, the lightest one with the smallest, highest Kv motor. It flew great. I only stopped because I ran out of batteries and it was getting towards dusk. I went to the Bullseye and for the first time was disappointed in it as I kept grabbing the rudder on the left stick which only controls the LED's. I finally have enough stick time to desire the left stick for something other than throttle. Finally the SD. It still performs pretty well but had more wing rock and I had to fight it more eventhough the winds had lightened up a bit. I have also learned that big props and slow Kv motors is not the only way to fly low and slow...

I don't know if my further forward elevons make much difference or not and I am not sure but that my elevons might be larger as well than aeronot's as this is a remake of an existing plane of mine.

I have only flown a couple dozen designs, but this want beats them all. I think I also have found my candidate for my 6mm EPP. I think I might try a turnigy 2211 on it even though the shaft is 2mm and the f1818 is 3mm. The tuborix is a rather loud motor.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jul 07, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: finished an unfinished sentence. :)
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:10 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Hi Tymbre, thanks for the PM. Here's what I could find on the WB. Aeronot has done a Great Job on the Pi-Yak. The video's are Great.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Thanks Box. My elevons were off your first set of plans. My elevon forward tips would be 6" from the base of the plane as in the erased lines. Instead of 1/2 cutouts away from the fuse area, I extended to a fuzz over 3/4" to clear the rudder control arm.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
You've heard of the fish that got away. Well heres a silly video of PiYak that nearly got away. I decided to try 3s tonight. Of course there wasn't even a breath of air in my neighborhood. Things were different on the ground on the edge of town, and much different aloft. I finally just cut power and hoped I would find it. As luck would have it, it was unscathed and out in the open.

PiYak 3s maiden flight which was nearly the last .wmv (5 min 8 sec)

I had been planning to give this plane just a little more down thrust. With the more umph on 11.1volts it was much more apparent that just a little was needed. I may get another chance in the morning...
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:39 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
It's a fun little plane, for sure. I put up a video here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272648

Here are some pics...

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Nice to see another one, especially from the Piplane creator!!!!

Here's the remaiden of mine on 3s after a little more down thrust. Flight times are much longer on the 4603s, just barely moving the throttle will keep it in the air. A little more zippy too.

PiYak on 3s.wmv (5 min 32 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:01 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Ok, you guys motivated me to make another video. I am really having a ball with my piYak. Hope you guys are too!

Mark

More video of the piYak (3 min 41 sec)
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Last edited by aeronot; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Great video. I like the lights too!!! Its my go to plane. I need to build one just a little bit lighter and epp.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Way cool video!

I think I'll go fly my piYak!!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan