SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2012, 01:29 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
Hmmm,...if we land a few more on the tree, all different colors, by Christmas it'll be decorated. Gotta find a positive..LOL!
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
[QUOTE=philipa_240sx;21516682]Since you are in the UK, Giantcod has a few suitable replacements:

http://www.robotbirds.com/catalog/images/409945-1.jpg

Thanks for the info.....went with this one from robotbirds. Ordered yesterday 4pm
received at 10am this morning.
Looks rather familiar !!!!!!!!

GPW... bit heavy maybe ,but hey who knows ,it might work
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old May 06, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Been thinking about building something new I was really thinking about one of these. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561600

I wonder if there is some kind of way to morph that flip flop into a round thing. Maybe gluing on winglets on the outside of the skids, but would have to recess the motor back into much of the circle which might mess with getting the cg right...
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old May 06, 2012, 04:08 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
502 Posts
I can only think of using CF rods bent to a circle for either both sides or actually create a globe of CF rods fully around a Pi-plane like a hamster ball.

Interesting thought tho tymbrewolf
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old May 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
In any case, I am surprised the that plane hasn't found its way to the scratch build side eventhough motorhead is kitting it only. Seems like most commercial ventures are in some way copied in free plans on here.
Old May 07, 2012, 01:40 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,234 Posts
Miyak.
18inch with shortened fuselage (I should have added an extra inch to the 16inch version )
9mm EPP
Turnigy 2730 1500kv
HK 10A speedie
8x3.8 prop.
HXT500 servos.
195g with 500mA 3s.
I intend to run 2s when the batteries arrive.

With the wheels the battery sits right in the cg line.

Only had a quick bust around the backyard. Hope to take it to the field soon.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old May 07, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Nice!
Old May 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Pi Yak .. Delta Pi Chapter

Here's mine... just flew it.. The only thing I've ever built that could be tail heavy on purpose or by accident and still survive the maiden.... in fact it hovered around and torque rolled and I landed it a few feet away un-harmed. Made some changes to the overall bottome side... cut a bit away from the tail and put on a larger battery and flew it again.

Motor CSRC = to Hacker A10-7L
7X3.5 gws
CC 10A ESC
3 HS 55's
True RC 450mah 2S

Basic flames on top so I can see it... flys great... probably going to make a version 2. For me and my buds....
Thanks for the cool plane man..

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old May 08, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Ubidit, of course you could always mvoe your rudder servo forward a tad too for balance. No one would notice the foam plug where the old hole was.
Old May 09, 2012, 06:02 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
Ubidit, of course you could always mvoe your rudder servo forward a tad too for balance.
The servo's on my piYak are ~4" back the LE. The design definitely requires to mount most of your components forward of the CG point to get it to balance.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old May 09, 2012, 06:32 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Just an idea ... it may be prudent to make the nose slightly longer in order the get the CG so the battery sits on the CG directly .... that way you can use different size batteries with no consequence... These disk planes fly so well that a super light battery will enable them to lightly “Float" around in your backyard (GeneBond showed me that ) ... Fun for those calm summer evenings when you just Have to get in a flight or two ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
Just an idea ... it may be prudent to make the nose slightly longer in order the get the CG so the battery sits on the CG directly .... that way you can use different size batteries with no consequence...
It's pretty hard to get the CG right without having the battery pack well forward of the CG. On my piYak, ALL of the components need to sit forward of the CG point (25% from LE) just to get it to balance.

I suppose a longer nose would help, it would be interesting to see what effect a few inches added to the nose would have on handling. I would hate to loose the short snappy loops the piYak is capable of.

Not having the battery at the CG point isn't a big deal though. If you layout the components so that the ESC and RX are on one side of the fuse, you can then install a long strip of velcro on the opposite side for the battery. This will give you a large range of CG adjustment.

Another tip: place a couple of dots of hot melt glue on the underside of the 'wing' along the CG point to allow 'fingertip' balancing of the plane at the field.

BTW, I don't spend too much time balancing the piYak anymore. I adjust the battery pack on the fly to suit the wind conditions and my flying style: Forward CG for better wind penetration on breezy days, rearward CG for better hovering in calm conditions.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Last edited by philipa_240sx; May 09, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
I thought So..

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to have to move the rudder servo forward and even considered shortening the tail to the point just before the rudder hinge meets the elevons. There's a bit over 1/4 inch extra vertical area there right now. Those changes should help for sure... but even so, I absolutely enjoyed it.. tail heavy then, normal..

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old May 09, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
that bit of foam on the tail won't make a difference. Move the servo!!
Old May 09, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Bo, that receiver looks like it could move forward too just a tad or you could even move the esc under on the wing or above the wing on the fuse and move the receiver in its place. Lots of things can move before changing the body.