SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:20 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
Build Log
Heinkel-178

so i was looking at planes online and saw this one. i think its adorable, so i'm gonna try to build one. i'm using the fiddlersgreen plan and i will tweak it as i go. i plan on using a jetscream fan and a vapor brick. i will try it with 1mm depron first but if its too heavy i have some durobatics i might try. if any body has any suggestions or comments please post.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
here are some pics. i nuked the fuse in the microwave to get it to hold its shape, worked great. its just taped together for the pics. the ar6400 and fan are there for size comparison and cause they will hopefully power it. waiting for my lipos to get here cause i washed all my other ones..... its just rudder and elevator.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
and looking at it its going to need cheaters. so i cut some holes next to the landing gear so its not real noticable. hopefully it will work if not i'll have to look at cutting more holes. and the exhaust is probably too small. this thing has weird proportions for edf. if it still doesn't work i might just stick a propeller on the front and be forever condemed to rc hell for putting a propeller on the first jet
Last edited by flashkick; Apr 12, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:42 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
961 Posts
Sometimes you just have to do what ever makes it fly. It's such a nice looking plane! I have been using echargers fans for years now but it is still hard to get them to fly with only one fan. This little panther seems very fast but needs trimming to fly level and climb w/throttle. It is rudder only due to its weight, but I may have been able to add the extra servo but was afraid it would be too heavy. On the second pic below you can see the cheater hole! I made this outta wallfoam. there is virtually no thrust lost this way.
MUTCAKE is online now Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya i want to try some of the echarger fans but i can't get them anywhere in utah. so i go with jetscream ones. hopefully it flies if not i can get a gws and 1012 inrunner from hobbyking that should get it flying.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
looks like i have to go brushless cause at my altitude i'm getting 6 g of thrust from the js fans.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
looks like i have to go brushless cause at my altitude i'm getting 6 g of thrust from the js fans.
I suspect your ducting is part of the problem. What % of fan area have you got on the inlet and outlet?

Roughly, the inlet should be 30mm dia. (same as the fan) and the outlet should be about 27mm dia. give or take a mm or two.

If the ducting is wrong then your not going to get decent thrust no matter what fan you fit.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:16 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya the ducting is a problem. i cut cheaters and it probably need more though. the exhaust is also undersized i think. i think i'll just need to enlarge it a little and it should fly better. i have to go brushless cause even with plenty of air the fans aren't getting more than 6g of thrust.