SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
20minutes of flight time!?! Thats a lot with a small lipo! Is the 70mah HH has is new?
It's 20 minutes with Turnigy's 160mah lipo. The 70mah has been around for some time.
rclayton is offline Find More Posts by rclayton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:41 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
So the 70mah that comes with the night vapor is the same as the original vapor? If so then that means the motor is the same and the website had a typo of 70mah 14C battery, I suspect.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:07 AM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
I do believe so.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclayton View Post
It's 20 minutes with Turnigy's 160mah lipo. The 70mah has been around for some time.
That is correct...seemed to still have a lot of power when we decided to land. The stock lipo (70mah) flew for over 10 minutes before I noticed a slight drop in power. These night vapors are a blast!!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:07 PM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
I find them to be a great training tool. This was the first airplane I flew in years and I found it really easy to fly. I actually just bought a micro 4-site and started having some fun with it.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclayton View Post
I find them to be a great training tool. This was the first airplane I flew in years and I found it really easy to fly. I actually just bought a micro 4-site and started having some fun with it.
It is a good trainer as long as the wind is calm...so easy to fly! I think I can even get my wife to fly this one...maybe
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:00 PM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
One of my buddies is highly uncoordinated and had no problem flying it. Then I take mine out and couldn't recover quick enough from a dive and now I have to wait till Monday to get a new propeller and shaft in.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:24 AM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
What's everyone using to repair slices in the wing film (midair in neighborhood tonite

I'm guessing scotch tape but will it add too much weight?
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60 View Post
What's everyone using to repair slices in the wing film (midair in neighborhood tonite

I'm guessing scotch tape but will it add too much weight?
A slice in the film, use scotch tape.
For film coming loose, use CA applied with a toothpick. I've also used glue stick (apply to former then attach film.) But it will come loose again.
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
A slice in the film, use scotch tape.
For film coming loose, use CA applied with a toothpick. I've also used glue stick (apply to former then attach film.) But it will come loose again.
OK

How much scotch tape can the wing take before flight starts getting effected?
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60 View Post
OK

How much scotch tape can the wing take before flight starts getting effected?
Based on my own findings, A LOT!!! One of my Vapor had a lot of mid air collisions with small helis. It still fly very well though the dives are scary (extra weight = extra speed). I used to worry about having more weight on one side of the wing, but even that doesn't seem to bother the Vapor that much.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 01, 2010, 01:13 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
NV a first airplane?

I had the opportunity to fly one of these tonight, and it was a complete blast. Ill be picking my BNF up tomorrow!

Im also thinking about buying one of these as a gift for a couple of boys that are close friends of the family (who were there when I flew it). They were fascinated by it (9 and 11). Actually, so was I

To me, it seemed like the NV was a bit "twitchier" than my Super cub, although since its a slow flyer, there is a lot of time to recover (WAAAAY more time than my T-28!)

Has anyone tried this as a first airplane? How much abuse will it take, and are "noob" crashes likely to be expensive in replacement parts?

Any thoughts appreciated - these guys are headed back home (Oregon) mid week, and if its decent idea, I would like to send it home with them.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:08 AM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post
I had the opportunity to fly one of these tonight, and it was a complete blast. Ill be picking my BNF up tomorrow!

Im also thinking about buying one of these as a gift for a couple of boys that are close friends of the family (who were there when I flew it). They were fascinated by it (9 and 11). Actually, so was I

To me, it seemed like the NV was a bit "twitchier" than my Super cub, although since its a slow flyer, there is a lot of time to recover (WAAAAY more time than my T-28!)

Has anyone tried this as a first airplane? How much abuse will it take, and are "noob" crashes likely to be expensive in replacement parts?

Any thoughts appreciated - these guys are headed back home (Oregon) mid week, and if its decent idea, I would like to send it home with them.

jc
I personally wouldn't recommend the Night Vapor as a first beginner plane. Sure it flies slow, but that's mainly from pilot adjustments. When flying in a straight line, the plane can get very twitchy with just minimal movements on the stick.

Also, do to it's construction, the parts are small and are more brittle than say a Hobbyzone Champ, which I would recommend.

Not sure where these boys can fly, but remember the NV is more for indoor flying, and if they don't have much experience that could be disastrous.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:05 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
Really quite at 5 AM...

Just finished flying at 5 AM this Sunday morning in the street in front of my house. Pitch black outside and no street lights. Zero wind - perfect flying conditions. 12 minute timed flights with the PZ 70 mAh LiPo.
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Aug 01, 2010, 11:29 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post

jc
I had an original Vapor and I would recommend it for a first plane provided they can fly it outside in windless conditions or inside in a large area (at least at first). They are so light that the only time I really broke anything was from handling it carelessly or landing on a hot light bulb- not advised!

I'm tempted to buy this new Night Vapor as my old Vapor's brick died. However, the lhs told me that the NV is a tad heavier and doesn't do high alpha flight as well as the original. I imagine this is from the modular construction (which was needed imo) and the lights. That was a real bummer to hear because super high alpha flight was the coolest thing about the original vapor...not sure what I'm going to do now...
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood