HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
In 1992, I bought an old Volkswagen Bug for $400 dollars. A few days later I spent another $400 dollars on some state-of-the-art radial tires. The designers of that car could never have imagined how it might feel with such tires from the future. I drove that car for a few years and loved it. It would go places my 2005 4-wheel drive truck will not go.

I'm gonna try a more modern motor on the old Vapor. Maybe it will fly better than the designers intended. Never say die.
+1 Some are happy with a good plane and some want it to be all it can be. I enjoy modifying them as much as flying them.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,030 Posts
Had the vapor outside today, entertaining some children. I gave one my telephone and she took pictures. A good time was had by all!

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:13 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
In 1992, I bought an old Volkswagen Bug for $400 dollars. A few days later I spent another $400 dollars on some state-of-the-art radial tires. The designers of that car could never have imagined how it might feel with such tires from the future. I drove that car for a few years and loved it. It would go places my 2005 4-wheel drive truck will not go.

I'm gonna try a more modern motor on the old Vapor. Maybe it will fly better than the designers intended. Never say die.
I like your enthusiasm but to me a new set of tires would equate to a nice symmetrical wing.. The vapor's wing makes much lift at very slow speeds. It was made to fly slow in calm air. If you want a higher performance aircraft I would at least buy an aircraft that has a better airfoil to satisfy you.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
Its very easy to try a J3 motor, and you can fly it just as slow, no problem. I have been flying my Night Vapor for about 2 years I think with the J3 motor, carbon prop, elevator mod and 125 mah TPs. It is a very thought free airplane to fly, no problems, it can loop, has more than enough power and maneuverability to get out of the way of those fast moving tree branches etc... Just try it, if you hate it, modify your throttle curves so you can't go fast and enjoy a motor that lasts way longer than stock.
edjo69 is offline Find More Posts by edjo69
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
496 Posts
Well I might try it sometime. I just retired my old vapor and would like the guts to g in a new airframe of some sort. One thing I did do was use a MCPX 250 mah 1C lipo for long flights in my old vapor
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
You would really be surprised how much this airframe can take, it really is aerobatic with the J3 motor and the elevator mod, very nimble, TONS of power and so easy to repair with a bit of scotch tape!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
I like your enthusiasm but to me a new set of tires would equate to a nice symmetrical wing.. The vapor's wing makes much lift at very slow speeds. It was made to fly slow in calm air. If you want a higher performance aircraft I would at least buy an aircraft that has a better airfoil to satisfy you.
I have other planes that have gobs of speed and power. What I like about the Vapor is the ability to fly slow, and one part of flying slow is the ability to hold a high-alpha position. My Night Vapor does not have enough power to hold that high-alpha position for more than a second or two, and then it stalls or does a tail slide. A little more power would equate to being able to fly even more slowly, and the ability to maneuver around household obstacles (not to mention fast-moving tree branches).

The J3 motor sounds like a promising solution. Now to find one...

edjo69...what do you mean by an elevator mod? What does it do to improve the flight performance?
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
edjo69...what do you mean by an elevator mod? What does it do to improve the flight performance?[/QUOTE]

It starts at Post 330, really helps especially if you go with a J3-Cub motor.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
edjo69...what do you mean by an elevator mod? What does it do to improve the flight performance?
It starts at Post 330, really helps especially if you go with a J3-Cub motor.
TODD[/QUOTE]

Yep, post 390, basically it prevents the elevator from folding under during fast leveling from a dive. Its a quick little fix to stiffen up the control rod/elevator interaction.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
The wind has been blowing a gale in Cape Town the last couple of weeks, so the only flying has been indoors with the Night Vapor, which involves going around in circles in our living room. This morning there was no wind so i quickly went to fly in the parking area of our apartment. What fun!

Unfortunately i managed to fly into my own leg (haha) and managed to break a blade of the prop off. Its a clean break right when it connects to the spinner. Should i try to glue it back? Will it be unbalanced? Not sure how long it will take my LHS to get a new one?

Love that plane, its just a lot of fun!
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:07 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby33 View Post
The wind has been blowing a gale in Cape Town the last couple of weeks, so the only flying has been indoors with the Night Vapor, which involves going around in circles in our living room. This morning there was no wind so i quickly went to fly in the parking area of our apartment. What fun!

Unfortunately i managed to fly into my own leg (haha) and managed to break a blade of the prop off. Its a clean break right when it connects to the spinner. Should i try to glue it back? Will it be unbalanced? Not sure how long it will take my LHS to get a new one?

Love that plane, its just a lot of fun!
Sorry to say it but your best bet is a new one. Not likely to glue well.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:14 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
ok cool, will do
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
652 Posts
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Last edited by wayfaringdreamer; Dec 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: glueing a prop not such a good idea
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,681 Posts
Got the night vapor yesterday and loving it!!! Sooo much fun with my also new DX7
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
Got the night vapor yesterday and loving it!!! Sooo much fun with my also new DX7
Have fun with it. They are a blast to fly. I fly mine when time permits.
Notsogood is offline Find More Posts by Notsogood