Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
My NV plane couldn't lift the 808 #16 with the full housing and internal battery. But this cheaper camera I stripped down will give me 720x480 video and seems to work pretty good for $10.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
My NV did pretty good up here at 9000'. Not sure that the stock motor would of handled the altitude so well. Just looked it up and it's 8150'.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Last edited by Av8rshane; Jun 03, 2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Alt correction
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
My NV did pretty good up here at 9000'. Not sure that the stock motor would of handled the altitude so well. Just looked it up and it's 8150'.
I live at 8500' and fly with stock motor and a GWS 5030 prop. Stock NV propeller required full power to maintain level flight, 5030 flies well at about 1/2 power.
S2Rdriver is offline Find More Posts by S2Rdriver
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Been waiting for days, and I seen no box when I got home, then my wife says after dinner "There's a box that arrived for you - it's in the van" - hoo ha! Night Vapor in mint condition w/3 70mAh batts just ready to go. I could not believe how light the frame is on this lil plane. Took her out for a quick test drive - no problems, but there was a little bit of a breeze and - man so sensitive! But, wind has died down this evening to nothing. Some high clouds and moon out. Took her out for a flight in the dark. I am an adrenaline freak, but I think sometimes the attraction is really the calm that follows. Skipped the adrenaline, straight to the calm. Sense of relaxation I've never had before flying. Light as a feather and super easy to keep orientation. When I brought her down low, it was like a moth - so quiet. That was SO MUCH FUN! Thanks guys for convincing me to pick one of these up!

EDIT: Oh, on further thought, I still like the adrenaline - lol. But this lil moth really is a unique joy to fly - quietly in the night.
rcflyer40plus1 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
Last edited by rcflyer40plus1; Jun 04, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2Rdriver View Post
I live at 8500' and fly with stock motor and a GWS 5030 prop. Stock NV propeller required full power to maintain level flight, 5030 flies well at about 1/2 power.
My next upgrade will be the prop. Going with the Cf 5030 as soon as they are back in stock.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
992 Posts
Nite Flying

Late evenings in back yard or at remote dark site (scout camp) is a real treat.
It does not get much better than this for me!
Every now and then I loose orientation but it only takes a flip of rudder to reorientate my brain. White LED's on front will actually illuminate ground on dark night, IE landing lights!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:38 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Late evenings in back yard or at remote dark site (scout camp) is a real treat.
It does not get much better than this for me!
Every now and then I loose orientation but it only takes a flip of rudder to reorientate my brain. White LED's on front will actually illuminate ground on dark night, IE landing lights!
Tim
Those bright forward white lights are great, would be much harder for me to keep orientation if they had left them out. It's pretty dark in my front yard and fifty or sixty feet up needs some good lights for me on this little plane.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2Rdriver View Post
I've been flying with a 4540 and it's a ton of fun. Less than half throttle for level flight, and after upgrading to a J3 motor this thing's a beast! I'm sure you'll have a blast once you get your hands on a J3 motor.
Lanzer is offline Find More Posts by Lanzer
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:03 AM
NOOOooooooo......
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
The night vapor is officially the best toy I have ever bought in 31 years.

I take this thing for walks around the neighborhood, and a crowd just follows me wherever I go.

I think it's time to scratch build an absurdly larger version of the NV.

The formula is simple...

More LEDs + More Bigger = More Better!!1

Well.... I'm going to go marinade on that thought and fly the vape..... Vape XXL build thread to follow.
iHatePoles is offline Find More Posts by iHatePoles
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:11 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
A lil breeze came up and blew my NV into the ground! Broken shaft. Replaced and in the air again tonight. Hey, is there any way to extract the broken shaft from the prop and re-use? I know, so cheap..
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
NOOOooooooo......
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I've found you can get another use out of a broken prop shaft with a little hot glue. This works best if you have one or two threads that can latch onto the prop. It doesn't have to be a firm hold, but just a lil' something that lines it up right while the glue sets....
  1. First, put a big glob of hot glue on the prop (the size of the cone, on the reverse side).
  2. Hold it so the glue stays balanced & uniform on the prop shaft (nose down).
  3. Take the NV and push the remaining (already attached) prop shaft through the hot glue nose down (make sure you don't get any glue on the gear).
  4. Hold it perfectly perpendicular (nose down) for about 5 minutes, blow on it, and let it rest another 10 min.
  5. Go outside & give it a whirl.

It ain't pretty, but it'll get you flying again in about 15 minutes (while your lipos recharge).
iHatePoles is offline Find More Posts by iHatePoles
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
I've got the broke shaft out of the prop saver adapter (part that goes on shaft to hold the prop) by using a small nail and hammering it out. Then I just super glue the adapter (or stock prop as well) on to what is left of prop shaft. In my experience the shafts snap on the threaded part.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Thanks guys. Once I have another nose plant, I'll try some of those tips. Threw a 160mAh batt in her last night and that was cool. A little more power, very little adverse effect I could tell. I got a number of those laying around since I replaced those with Turnigy nano-tech 160mah 1S 25~40C, which do an *awesome* job on the micro 4-site and micro sukhoi.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
NV Battery Holder

Just recenly got my Night Vapor, first plane. When using a 150MAh battery, many times it will come out of the battery clip and just dangles in the air. It seems the velcro isn't strong enough to keep the battery in place. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Other than the battery, it's just very relaxing fun.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
138 Posts
velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Just recenly got my Night Vapor, first plane. When using a 150MAh battery, many times it will come out of the battery clip and just dangles in the air. It seems the velcro isn't strong enough to keep the battery in place. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Other than the battery, it's just very relaxing fun.
change the velcro on the plane and the batteries
ourbluehorizon is offline Find More Posts by ourbluehorizon