Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Thanks IR Irvin, I was working my way back in post to find the fix but must of missed it. I will give that a try, that will take of the only downside to this great little airplane.
Your welcome. Actually the stock Vapor doesn't have a single downside to it. It does everything it was designed to do and does it better than most any other plane out there. The problem is some of us just want it to do more than it was designed for.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Yes Irv, I agree it's a great little airplane and I will always have one as long as they are available. Did my first flight with the J3 motor last night and the increase in climb and hover is impressive. Next I will try the CF prop as my stock one is pretty beat up but they are out of stock right now. I travel a lot and my NV gives me something to do at night when Iam out of town.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old May 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Nv mods

Todd I was looking at your elevator mod and noticed that it looks like you have your elevator hooked up on the first hole on the horn. You must have a bunch of travel. I put mine there but it interferes with the rudder, did you move the rudder up higher. If so what did you use for a spacer? Also what size is the CF you used for the elevator brace? Thanks
Shane
Old May 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
I moved the control rod too. Had to limit the servo travel with the tx to keep the rudder from touching it. Makes loops a bit tighter when you move the rod in. No other real reason to move it.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts

Actually it was lower than the bottom hole. I have redone the whole tail since that pic. I wouldn't recommend these mods unless you have a computer TX because my Vapor has extreme trows and would be very twitchy without expo. I also used 1mm carbon fiber for control rods to stop any flexing. It will fly in a nice tight circle and loops are also tight. It's hard to believe but I have so much elevator throw that I can do a elevator landing just like the UM Stryker. This is all probably overkill to most on here, but to me it doesn't get any better.
TODD
.5mm carbon fiber rod elevator support.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Thanks for all the info and photos. That looks wild. Do you have any video of you flying it? I have a computer radio but haven't spent a lot of time on expo yet. Just got all the mixing and DR function figured out but I am going to get going on a few mods now that I have this information.
Shane
Old May 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the info and photos. That looks wild. Do you have any video of you flying it? I have a computer radio but haven't spent a lot of time on expo yet. Just got all the mixing and DR function figured out but I am going to get going on a few mods now that I have this information.
Shane
Just in case.... Negative expo is more sensitive at the sticks, positive expo is less sensitive. Many seem to use negative expo for heli's to get faster response but I find I use positive with my planes when I increase the control throws on the plane mechanically. You get more control authority without making it too twitchy to fly normally. DR will be less useful in time unless you use it to let other people fly your planes. I'm in my second year of flying RC and no longer have a use for dual rates, gets you in more trouble than it saves you from eventually.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Mods

I put the brace from the elevator control horn to the rear edge of elevator and also put a short piece of CF from just forward of the loop in the elevator pushrods to just forward of the control horn to stiffen it up and that improved the pitch tuck. I also raised the rudder to allow for more up elevator by installing a spacer of about 3/8" on the rudder shaft but that didn't work so well. It made the rudder too flexible and it did something similar the the nose dive but it was snap rolling all the way to the ground. I lowered the rudder back down to the stock position and limited the elevator throw and so far everything works fine. I will have to beef up the rudder post before I raise it again as in Todd's photo above .
Old May 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts

I put a lot of work into the rudder.
TODD
Old May 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Yes Irv, I agree it's a great little airplane and I will always have one as long as they are available. Did my first flight with the J3 motor last night and the increase in climb and hover is impressive. Next I will try the CF prop as my stock one is pretty beat up but they are out of stock right now. I travel a lot and my NV gives me something to do at night when Iam out of town.
Took mine on a trip last year to Hearst Castle and while at the motel I got to fly along the bluffs over the beach during sunset. There was a slight on shore breeze and I could catch the lift along the bluff for what seemed like endless flights at quarter throttle. Some guy walked up and asked me if it was rubber band powered . It was as close to perfect as it gets, even the wife flew it there and she doesn't fly RC
Old May 31, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Going to Vail, CO for a few days will try mine at 9000', the j3 motor should help. Snapped one of the landing gear off when I was working on it. I feel like a gorilla trying to do surgery on a masquito .
Old May 31, 2012, 12:36 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Going to Vail, CO for a few days will try mine at 9000', the j3 motor should help. Snapped one of the landing gear off when I was working on it. I feel like a gorilla trying to do surgery on a masquito .
Leave it off (both of them) for a while and I bet you won't put them back on . Unless touch and go's and landings are your thing. Really improves the floating flight.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
I have flown with them off for a while, but When I fly at home and miss the catch then I hate to let it hit the dirt, afraid some will get in servos.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
527 Posts
I snapped off the rudder just putting it in the box to take for the weekend. LHS didn't have rudder so got some .5 mm CF and tried to make a collar mend on the short stub that was left. That didn't work so a longer piece taped along front edge of rudder worked fine. Made a spacer from Wd40 straw to keep rudder raised. Also have 1.8mm elevator brace but 1.8mm is too big. but 1.8mm makes good reinforcement for the motor mount. Also running prop saver kit.

Unfortunately one motor wire came partially loose and plane was not lifting well. Got a new motor and it is back to flying good. LHS didn't have the j3 cub motor in stock.

Tonight attached a cheap camera from Amazon, was a cigarrete lighter shaped camera, but I removed it from housing and removed the battery and the USB end. Soldered the micro battery cables to it so it can share battery with plane. Just let it dangle from battery cable and it lifted fine. Too gusty to go too high, plus I need to secure it better, but it will be possible to get some aerial video over houses. Pretty cool. V911 heli couldn't lift it for too long but 9958 heli lifted it pretty well. Nowhere near as good as the 808 #16 camera which I also just received. That is a good camera for $40, and don't want to taken it apart ( yet).
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:06 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
Yes, that #16 camera is a nice one for the price. I shoot all my video with it. Click my name and you will see many of them on my profile page.