HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
I love this plane, had it for several weeks now. I broke prop off first day, but went to hobby shop and got the prop, but they didn't have shafts so glued it on with the Wd-40 straw section between gear and prop, all glued together. That seems to fix it. Got a prop saver setup, but it too broke prop off (snapped shaft). So I got the metal piece out and glued it on as well. Haven't broke anything else. I have gotten so many looks and comments from this plane in subdivision, nearly none about 9958 or V911 helicopters, although I really like V911 also.

I did have out of control type dives at times, but read where some have strengthened the elevator wing. I tried a small paper clip folded out and taped to the underside of elevator along the carbon fiber support. Seemed to help a lot.

I also run a couple of the elite 150 mah 25c batteries, those work good plus some of my 9958 160mah batteries, they are OK.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Last edited by jpconard; May 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
I think prop shafts are too weak where they are threaded, seem to be OK along non threaded areas, as long as you don't hit too hard. Obviously if shaft breaks even with prop saver it is too weak.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
Question about the straw upgrade, I cut a piece but when I screw it down to sandwich the straw together am I to glue the straw on the ends so it sticks to the gear and prop? Or just sandwich together?

Well last week I got this thing and just been having bad luck,broke 2 shafts and a motor mount. Well as I was taking things off my hand slipped and kinda moved the wing mount from the original location.Is there a way to to find the CG?
It seems to be nose heavy and I moved the battery just as far back as I can,I also got the Eflite 150mah packs too,Any help or tips would be appreciated
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Old May 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
P.O.D. if you buy these you won't have to buy another prop or prop-shaft again. In the long run there well worth the money. If you have the Vapor mastered or close I would also suggest a UM J3-Cub motor with some Hyperion 70mah batteries. These are a perfect addition to the prop I linked.
TODD
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=926
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=946
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old May 21, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
I glued the straw piece to the gear and the prop. I have the prop saver and the shaft broke off in it too. I got the shaft piece out and glued it onto a different shaft than my original prop is glued onto. The nice part is I can just swap shafts by unscrewing the little white plastic nut. Note there is a really tiny bronze washer on the motor mount that can get lost.

I'd still buy another prop saver kit as it wasn't very expensive and came with 3 different props. They are fairly easy to swap and just put on the rubber bands. They are higher speed props than stock, plus they probably put less stress on the motor mount due to the flex off rubber band design.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
Profit,

The only part of the wing mount that moved on mine is the rear mount. I just wrapped a small piece of electrical tape around main boom directly in front and behind wing mount to keep it from sliding. I typically have battery more forward and trim neutral and it is more nose high on mine. Also if you noticed you can put rudder and elevator in different holes for more aggressive response. I found however the rudder rubs elevator pretty badly when elevator is up in more aggressive hole, so I went back to 2nd hole from least aggressive setting.

If you get out of control dives, especially at high speed, then Google it and you'll find reinforcing elevator helps a lot. There are different ways to do this. I unfolded a small paperclip and went underneath the elevator diagonally where the carbon fiber is from point of actuator to edge. Seemed to help a lot.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
Aggressive response and high speed on a Night Vapor? I doubt the designers of the Vapor had anything close to that in mind when they engineered this plane. If you want that style of flying it's time to get a different plane.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old May 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Aggressive response and high speed on a Night Vapor? I doubt the designers of the Vapor had anything close to that in mind when they engineered this plane. If you want that style of flying it's time to get a different plane.
+1 but there is always someone that puts a V8 in a Yugo. I prefer to float mine around. I dont do loops much either, just looks like pulling the wings off a butterfly.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Hi all. The Night Vapor is my first plane. As you can probably tell, I fly heilis. It seems the BNF Vapor is backordered just about everywhere. I expect mine in about two weeks. Could anyone give me some programming for the Night Vapor using a DX6i ? Thanks for your help.
i have one for sale. bought it on an impulse buy, opened the box, powered it one to see of everything is fine and its been sitting on my shelf since two weeks now. Perfect mint condition in original box. BNF. $75 shipped.
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old May 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, WA, Burien
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
I tried couple of diff props. I didn't like the added weight. Changing up the prop itself gave my more thrust. i could see my main wings start to bow! If it wasnt for the cabeling to power my led's, it would have collapsed..

I'll stay in my almost hangn position too.
chi chi is offline Find More Posts by chi chi
Old May 24, 2012, 01:15 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
The problem with mine was the elevator pivot rod thingy was broke on one side so that explains why it was falling to the earth so often. I put a order in for one,but I got a piece of butyl tape and just squeezed it around that part and were back flying better then new!
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Old May 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
I took the paper clip off the elevator wing as it wasn't working. Put 1.8mm rod on elevator like shown in this thread earlier but since it is so thick I just taped it to top of actuator arm and to center of elevator at middle. That helped a lot. Most of my crashes were due to a wind gust causing the uncontrolled dives. With no more uncontrolled dives out of the blue, you can actually fly the thing, even with some gusts. I'm not looking to make it faster, although the prop saver and 3 props that came with it (for night vapor) do make it fly faster. I just trim it to fly a little nose high to slow it down some. But with any plane you have to be able to do dives at times, fight into the wind, go with the wind, things like that. If the plane can take a little minor gusts all the better. I don't have indoor space large enough to fly inside. Cool to see gusts take it up and down, make it not fly forward but just hover motionless. Gives you a feel for how to counter for wind.

Unfortunately I broke my first prop mount, but I have a backup. Tried glue but it didn't hold too well. Prop saver helps but it tends to break rubber bands if you porpoise it into a landing.

This is a great plane, but a few areas could have been improved on to make it almost perfect.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Death Dive

Does anyone know what causes the death dive in the NV? Seems to be speed related. As the speed builds to a point and then down it goes. Something must be flexing. Anyone got a fix for it. I just installed the J3 motor and can tell on a static run that it gonna go. Tach the old motor then installed the J3 motor and
It picked up over 800 rpm. Don't plan on going for more speed just wanted to be able to fly at a higher alpha and power through a slight breeze if one comes up when flying. I still have the original vapor, a little worse for the wear but still flyable.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old May 27, 2012, 08:14 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Does anyone know what causes the death dive in the NV? Seems to be speed related. As the speed builds to a point and then down it goes. Something must be flexing. Anyone got a fix for it. I just installed the J3 motor and can tell on a static run that it gonna go. Tach the old motor then installed the J3 motor and
It picked up over 800 rpm. Don't plan on going for more speed just wanted to be able to fly at a higher alpha and power through a slight breeze if one comes up when flying. I still have the original vapor, a little worse for the wear but still flyable.
Back to page 22.
TODD
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...225928&page=22
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old May 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Thanks IR Irvin, I was working my way back in post to find the fix but must of missed it. I will give that a try, that will take of the only downside to this great little airplane.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane